Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 07:30 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,358,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Fayetteville is not in Atlanta.
By that definition, we shouldn't talk about the Braves any more either, because that's not in Atlanta. Stone Mountain? Not in Atlanta. Six Flags? Not in Atlanta. The airport? Not in Atlanta. Emory? Not in Atlanta. If this forum were about only things that happened within the actual city limits of Atlanta, it would be a pretty boring forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
so by definition, nothing that creates jobs and profits can be a waste of money?
I asked how it was a waste of money. A $2 billion football stadium being built next door to a 20-year-old football stadium is a waste of money, especially as it relies on quite a bit of public funding. So, in what way is something that creates more money and jobs a waste of money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 09:29 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,874,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
I asked how it was a waste of money. A $2 billion football stadium being built next door to a 20-year-old football stadium is a waste of money, especially as it relies on quite a bit of public funding. So, in what way is something that creates more money and jobs a waste of money?
i agree with you about the stadium. all i'm saying is that i can't imagine spending a billion dollars on something that isn't even real, just 2-hour pattern of pictures and sounds. i'm not blaming anyone, everyone's responsible. it seems like our society in general is just very confused right now.

Old 03-12-2017, 10:17 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Quote:
i agree with you about the stadium. all i'm saying is that i can't imagine spending a billion dollars on something that isn't even real, just 2-hour pattern of pictures and sounds. i'm not blaming anyone, everyone's responsible. it seems like our society in general is just very confused right now.
You do realize that much of that $1 billion goes into the pockets of hard working men and women, to support their families and put food on their tables and buy homes and cars and it trickles down 10-fold across the entire economy? This isn't simply some frivolous waste of money being thrown down the toilet for the selfish enjoyment of a few. Tens of thousands of people who'll never see a Marvel movie still benefit from the expense of making them in the long run. This is Economics 101.

I'd rather see $1 billion in PRIVATE money spent on a movie than $1 trillion of PUBLIC money spent on war.

Old 03-13-2017, 03:17 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
You do realize that much of that $1 billion goes into the pockets of hard working men and women, to support their families and put food on their tables and buy homes and cars and it trickles down 10-fold across the entire economy? This isn't simply some frivolous waste of money being thrown down the toilet for the selfish enjoyment of a few. Tens of thousands of people who'll never see a Marvel movie still benefit from the expense of making them in the long run. This is Economics 101.

I'd rather see $1 billion in PRIVATE money spent on a movie than $1 trillion of PUBLIC money spent on war.
Newsboy makes an excellent point here.

The purported $1 billion that is being spent to make this film is not a waste of money at all, particularly in regards to the local economy of Fayette County and South Metro Atlanta where the money is being spent directly.

The economy of the entire community where this movie is being filmed will benefit from this massive amount of private spending as everyone from construction workers, to electricians, to restaurants, to vehicle rental services (cars, trucks, vans, etc), to ground transportation companies (Uber, Lyft, limo/livery companies) and their employees, to clothing makers, set designers, Home Depot (which supplies the material needed to make sets), real estate agents, hotels, Atlanta Airport, etc, will get business (and earn income) from the spending that this major production will generate.

Overall, the stunning explosion of the television and film production industry in Georgia has been one of this decade's seemingly most unforeseen (and most pleasurable) developments and success stories for the metro Atlanta and Georgia economies.

Georgia's exploding television and film production scene has been one of the major factors (along with the continued growth of the tech industry in the area) that has helped to lift the metro Atlanta economy out of the crushing depths of the "Great Recession" severe economic downturn of the late-2000's and early-2010's.

The explosion of the television and film production industry has been a Godsend to the metro Atlanta and Georgia economies. That's because a lot of people are eating and financially sustaining themselves that might be otherwise if the TV/film production industry was not generating the economic activity that it has been generating (and continues to generate) in metro Atlanta and Georgia. A lot of people are feeding themselves and their families and paying their living expenses off of the significant amount of economic activity that these television and film productions generate.

When someone announces that they are going to spend $1 billion in your community, it is not something to deride but instead is something to celebrate. That's because it is the people in your community that are going to be directly benefitting financially from that spending.

Let's not just celebrate that Disney/Marvel is going to spend $1 billion in Fayette County and metro Atlanta (along with bringing A-list celebrities, highly-talented skill workers and major positive economic and public relations buzz to the area)....But let's also encourage them (and other major entertainment companies) to comeback and spend that kind of money in Georgia again and again and again...

The explosion of the television and film production industry in the metro area and the state is really something that the Atlanta metro area and the state of Georgia can hang its hat on and be fiercely proud of.

Not only that, but having such a robust TV/film production industry (and a robust entertainment industry overall) is something that helps attract other industry to the Atlanta area because of the immensely positive economic and PR buzz that the explosion of the TV/film industry has helped to generate.

In all, the announcement of major film and television productions like this, along with the explosion of the television and film production industry in the area, are massive wins for both the economies and national and international image of metro Atlanta and Georgia.

Old 03-13-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Confused is correct. We'd think nothing if Walmart spent a billion dollars to open a few stores and employ 500 workers at near minimum wage and no benefits. It would be celebrated as a benevolent corporation creating jobs. Yet, with this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
The explosion of the television and film production industry has been a Godsend to the metro Atlanta and Georgia economies. That's because a lot of people are eating and financially sustaining themselves that might be otherwise if the TV/film production industry was not generating the economic activity that it has been generating (and continues to generate) in metro Atlanta and Georgia. A lot of people are feeding themselves and their families and paying their living expenses off of the significant amount of economic activity that these television and film productions generate.

When someone announces that they are going to spend $1 billion in your community, it is not something to deride but instead is something to celebrate. That's because it is the people in your community that are going to be directly benefitting financially from that spending.
Truer words cannot be said. I think it was JoeP who has constantly derided all the "low paying jobs" that come with the film industry. But this is by far not true. I am but one person, but I can give my experience.

I was making very good money up until about 2012 when the company I was freelancing for dried up. At the same time, we had a child who ended up on the Autism Spectrum. To say it was expensive is an understatement. By 2014 I had moved into the TV and film industry, but expenses were piling up. By early 2015 I was looking at a nearly-empty bank account, having burned through tens of thousands of dollars. Fast forward two years, and my bank account is the largest it has been in my life, large enough to put a sizable down payment on a house if I desired. Two years. And I know a lot of people whose lives have been changed over the past five years. They're buying houses, buying cars, eating out a lot...making the economy move.

PAs might make chump change, but the carpenters, electricians, grips, wardrobe, camera crew, special effects...these people all make good money. And even a small production might have 200 people on the crew list. A Marvel movie? Literally thousands. And most of these people are getting more than just good wages. They get health insurance provided (mine plan usually costs me $0 as long as I work enough). They get retirement accounts paid into. They get free training. It's good work.

Old 03-13-2017, 02:34 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Confused is correct. We'd think nothing if Walmart spent a billion dollars to open a few stores and employ 500 workers at near minimum wage and no benefits. It would be celebrated as a benevolent corporation creating jobs. Yet, with this...
Word.

Quote:
Truer words cannot be said. I think it was JoeP who has constantly derided all the "low paying jobs" that come with the film industry. But this is by far not true. I am but one person, but I can give my experience.

I was making very good money up until about 2012 when the company I was freelancing for dried up. At the same time, we had a child who ended up on the Autism Spectrum. To say it was expensive is an understatement. By 2014 I had moved into the TV and film industry, but expenses were piling up. By early 2015 I was looking at a nearly-empty bank account, having burned through tens of thousands of dollars. Fast forward two years, and my bank account is the largest it has been in my life, large enough to put a sizable down payment on a house if I desired. Two years. And I know a lot of people whose lives have been changed over the past five years. They're buying houses, buying cars, eating out a lot...making the economy move.

PAs might make chump change, but the carpenters, electricians, grips, wardrobe, camera crew, special effects...these people all make good money. And even a small production might have 200 people on the crew list. A Marvel movie? Literally thousands. And most of these people are getting more than just good wages. They get health insurance provided (mine plan usually costs me $0 as long as I work enough). They get retirement accounts paid into. They get free training. It's good work.
Indeed, I wish all these film and TV industry naysayers could spend just one day on a set. Most of them would change their tune! These are highly skilled and highly trained professionals who work VERY long and VERY hard days and get compensated well for it. Even those of us who primarily do background work can make a decent living because of automatic overtime and pay bumps.

Old 03-13-2017, 03:08 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
Quote:
I second that sentiment!

Old 03-13-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
These are highly skilled and highly trained professionals who work VERY long and VERY hard days and get compensated well for it.
Yeah, there's a joke that always goes around: "Oh, you're complaining about your 40-hour-per-week job? I remember my first part-time job!"

Old 03-13-2017, 04:05 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Marvel's "Avenger's: Infinity War" (now in production) and it's unnamed sequel will occupy all 18 sound stages at Pinewood Studios in Fayetteville for most of this year. Estimated combined budget of the two films is reportedly close to $1 BILLION. If this is accurate, the Avengers franchise will easily eclipse the estimated budgets of the most expensive films made in recent years, such as "Avatar," "Pirates of the Caribbean," and the "Star Wars" films.

It's not that hard to believe: "Captain America: Civil War" (filmed at Pinewood in 2015) was the highest-grossing film of 2016, earning $1.2 BILLION worldwide. And two Marvel movies shot at Pinewood in 2016 and due for release this year -- "Guardians of the Galaxy 2" and "Spider-Man: Homecoming" -- stand a good chance of finishing at the top of the 2017 box office as well.
Wow! Go, Fayette!!

And I don't think I need to mention backflips.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:58 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,029 times
If you would have told me this was going to happen in Fayette County 10 years ago I would have called you crazy. Growing up there was so boring, nothing crazy or interesting really happened (and that was generally a good thing). Seeing something like this in my sleepy little home town is awesome and I think we got about as lucky as one could get in the movie realm.

Still not a believer in the Pinewood Forest/W. Fayetteville/Build to suit a Millennial developments coming in with the studio, but I'm proud and happy to see Pinewood be such a significant addition to my hometown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta