Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 07:55 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,777,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
That's the thing...I've always believed that city leaders should've "owned" it. There once was talk of embracing it and seguing the name to "Freedomfest." It could've been Atlanta's/The American South's version of SXSW.

I think with a foundation/initiation known as Freaknik, seguing the name to Freedomfest, city leaders owning/embracing it, and, in my opinion, making it happen during fall/October Break would've been great for Atlanta.
To become something like SXSW, Freaknik would have needed to morph more into a music/arts showcase than a street party. Perhaps that could have happened, with proper nurturing.

Another factor is that Atlanta didn't really have a venue comparable to Austin's 6th Street district. It might be doable today, if you linked up Edgewood, the Five Points area, Fairlie Poplar and COP/GWCC. Doing an event in an area where people can walk around instead of driving is a major difference. Many of the complaints about Freaknik had to do with people blocking traffic, running from car to car, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 08:11 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
One of our kids happened to be getting married while Freaknik was in session. As the wedding party exited the church, several young men lined up at the sidewalk and decided to relieve themselves in our direction.

To me that sort of thing was the most obnoxious part of Freaknik. Yes, major streets were blocked and it was difficult to get to and from work, but so be it.

It's great if folks want to gather and listen to music and socialize, but we're not a resort town and we don't have a "strip" lined with motels and nightclubs. So when rowdy partying spills over into neighborhoods, churches and business areas it's a problem. There might be a way to do something like this in Atlanta but Freaknik wasn't it.
Because the city never zoned anything like that, in fact the city has a history of breaking up entertainment districts, Which is part of my point. Maybe the city need to start looking into this.

The city attitude with Freaknik was always like if we ignore it will go way. because of this the city never embrace it, embracing would given the opportunity to shape and organized it, a well as economically benefit. but instead the city treated freaknik like it wasn't happening. Which basically cause a bubble.

Dragon Con 77k ............. Freaknik was 250k that's pretty significant.

I mean Houston recent Superbowl got 140k. that should tell you how popular Freaknik was.

Oblivious what happen at one of your kids wedding is disgusting and they should be arrested. And I'm not going to defend. but people using the bathroom outside has nothing to do with freaknik they was just gross and weird.

but I'm going to assume the wedding planners didn't know that the wedding day was set on freaknik. Which speaks volumes to my point. The city nobody besides the people going or people into hip hop treating it like it was a huge event.

The city could had limited the areas to organize events in the first place which would confined freaknik and take traffic away from a lot of areas, instead the city block roads with events still across the city, completely dumb.

If the city was seriously trying to embrace freaknik not only should the police should had been aware but there should had been a huge number of volunteers and security hire for that week end.

Old 03-12-2017, 08:46 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Oblivious what happen at one of your kids wedding is disgusting and they should be arrested. And I'm not going to defend. but people using the bathroom outside has nothing to do with freaknik they was just gross and weird.

but I'm going to assume the wedding planners didn't know that the wedding day was set on freaknik. Which speaks volumes to my point. The city nobody besides the people going or people into hip hop treating it like it was a huge event.
Well, we've moved on. The wedding was planned long in advance of Freaknik but even had it been known that wouldn't (and shouldn't) affect things such as weddings.

I completely agree that the city administration did a poor job of dealing with Freaknik. There should have been designated venues, times, traffic and transportation plans, police education, schedules and all the other things that go with large events. There's no reason Atlanta can't accommodate a gathering that size.

Old 03-12-2017, 11:29 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Several high schools had thier proms ruined by Freaknik as well. Those are memories lost that those kids (now adults) will never get back.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:09 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,292,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post

This looked like it was cool in its heyday. And at least they were gridlocking the few streets where we actually have a subway alternative.
The gridlock was definitely not limited to streets with subways. Ponce, Boulevard, and Monroe were jam packed most years. Lot's of other streets, too, but that was my area of town at the time, so that's what I had first hand experience with.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:10 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,522,993 times
I grew up in Florida during the Freaknik days and we had Black Spring Break in Daytona so there really wasnt a desperation to come to Freaknik being that we kinda had or own thing. I think the best thing that came from it historically was the music. The Freaknik music aka Bootyshake music didnt put Atlanta on the map, but the offspring of that music did. Sometimes when on youtube I look at some of those old music videos from that time 91-95 and you see a lot guys that were nobodies that ended up become big stars in the Atlanta music scene and nationwide. It was their music that put Atlanta on the map for me, because we listened to a lot of it back in Florida. I also appreciate that Atlanta gravitated towards the Bootyshake genre and not that Westcoast LA-Gangsta Funk sound that was dominating the airwaves at that time. I think Jermaine Dupri was the only one really trying to copy cat that sound especially with Da Brat and Kriss Kross first albums. Thank God the rest of Atlanta didnt do that. I never experienced Freaknik but the vibe and scene is pretty well documented. The crime and vice side of it hurts its reputation a lot.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:30 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
The question become if Austin can do this......... why can't Atlanta?

The difference is Austin leaders were all in with organization, growing and benefiting from the party scene.

but Atlanta was against and ignore it, so it grow into something city couldn't handle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cJFD3lU02k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5TQ03FZvHw

there a thread a about Atlanta leaders visiting Austin to see how Austin is attracting young professional..

I laughed so hard
Because, those are white people having fun...

Old 03-13-2017, 07:41 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,479,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Because, those are white people having fun...
Always about race isn't it?

Maybe if Atlanta had a party/entertainment district and those attending stuck to that area vs. disrupting the entire city by instead hanging out in business/residential areas and bringing the city to a screeching halt, things may have been different?

Old 03-13-2017, 07:48 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,933,278 times
Good points about the city basically ignoring it instead of facing it head on in an attempt to actually have it organized.
Other places with major draws of college students have fought back as well. Ft Lauderdale and Daytona Beach were once major destinations that were toned down by local leaders. Panama City Beach has been a top destination recently but apparently leaders there have really put a damper on it. So I certainly don't blame people in Atlanta for not wanting Freaknik. Especially when we don't really need spring breakers to support the economy. There's already enough going on.

And FWIW, I know a lot of people in Austin that are quickly becoming disillusioned with what SXSW has become (and the city in general).

Old 03-13-2017, 09:09 AM

23,461 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Always about race isn't it?

Maybe if Atlanta had a party/entertainment district and those attending stuck to that area vs. disrupting the entire city by instead hanging out in business/residential areas and bringing the city to a screeching halt, things may have been different?
Ladies and Gentlemen, I think we have a winner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta