Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2017, 01:50 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,352,368 times

Advertisements

How has Aman been able to make such a huge jump in the polls? I don't know a single person who is voting for him. Where are these votes coming from? (if the polls are even accurate)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 01:57 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,856,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
How has Aman been able to make such a huge jump in the polls? I don't know a single person who is voting for him. Where are these votes coming from? (if the polls are even accurate)
He has spent a lot of money on ads.

Old 09-19-2017, 04:13 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,784,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
There are so many candidates, that are fighting for the #2 position that a person with concentrated support in one area (or very spread out light support) could make the runoff with less than 20% of the vote. But, my guess is that he is strongest in Buckhead going into Morningside down to the north part of VaH, and thins out going south--but the early poling also showed significant support among blacks, too.

Last edited by jeoff; 09-19-2017 at 04:26 PM..

Old 09-19-2017, 04:52 PM

821 posts, read 725,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I'm voting for him.

Old 09-19-2017, 04:54 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,784,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
(and, he ditched the tiny print signs for ones you can read!)

Old 09-19-2017, 07:14 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,236,418 times
Wow that was a fun forum. I didn't see the whole thing as it gets tiring hear people try to sound like they know what they are talking about by using broad statements with buzz words mixed in. Over and over and over again...ugh.

But there definitely were some interesting moments. Please note, this commentary is only on the three questions I heard (hour +). I think Hall and Woolard came out on top again. I do not get the appeal of Norwood. Her answers weren't thoughtful and it just seems like there is a big disconnect b/t her and everyone else. This guy Wrightson showed up and it sounded like someone who was watching Fox News in a diner decided he should do something and run for mayor. WOW.

Quick notes:
-Fort said by some measures the city is 70% gentrified and he was rolling with that figure.
-Norwood, while struggling to find an answer on how we can enhance equity via transit, said we can use the MARTA tax to help with affordability. It was very broad, but she said something about the land around the station. I truly hope she didn't mean funding affordable housing with our hard fought transit tax.
-Eaves was very direct in criticizing the current mayor and city council for not reaching out to neighboring jurisdictions to collaborate on expanding transit.
-Hall made some VERY interesting comments about expanding MARTA a few ways, but most interestingly via PPPs. He said the city has been approached by numerous foreign groups wanting to invest large sums of money into transit in Atlanta. I wish I would have recorded this because it he mentioned more specific terms. I know he said German groups were interested and I think he said something about Switzerland. He was very confident in these statements.

Then the highlight of the night. Sen Fort said he would help MARTA by making sure Emory can't "jump the line" via annexation to fund the Clifton Corridor. He went on to state that he has information that Peachtree Pine was purchased for $10M (i think) as a quid pro quo for annexation + Clifton Corridor funding. He stated that he asked all of city council to deny or comment on this and they are all silent. WHOA. Pretty major claims by Fort. Most of yall know how I feel about this topic, but I'm not jumping on this yet. I want more information. Fort criticized the media for dropping the ball. Hopefully some more info comes out on this.

BTW, Lance Bottoms rebutted Sen Fort and said her vote was not for sale and any business transactions that have happened in no way influence her vote. They went back and forth a bit. I hope someone has video...

So yeah, that was pretty interesting

Old 09-19-2017, 08:23 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,320,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Wow that was a fun forum. I didn't see the whole thing as it gets tiring hear people try to sound like they know what they are talking about by using broad statements with buzz words mixed in. Over and over and over again...ugh.

But there definitely were some interesting moments. Please note, this commentary is only on the three questions I heard (hour +). I think Hall and Woolard came out on top again. I do not get the appeal of Norwood. Her answers weren't thoughtful and it just seems like there is a big disconnect b/t her and everyone else. This guy Wrightson showed up and it sounded like someone who was watching Fox News in a diner decided he should do something and run for mayor. WOW.

Quick notes:
-Fort said by some measures the city is 70% gentrified and he was rolling with that figure.
-Norwood, while struggling to find an answer on how we can enhance equity via transit, said we can use the MARTA tax to help with affordability. It was very broad, but she said something about the land around the station. I truly hope she didn't mean funding affordable housing with our hard fought transit tax.
-Eaves was very direct in criticizing the current mayor and city council for not reaching out to neighboring jurisdictions to collaborate on expanding transit.
-Hall made some VERY interesting comments about expanding MARTA a few ways, but most interestingly via PPPs. He said the city has been approached by numerous foreign groups wanting to invest large sums of money into transit in Atlanta. I wish I would have recorded this because it he mentioned more specific terms. I know he said German groups were interested and I think he said something about Switzerland. He was very confident in these statements.

Then the highlight of the night. Sen Fort said he would help MARTA by making sure Emory can't "jump the line" via annexation to fund the Clifton Corridor. He went on to state that he has information that Peachtree Pine was purchased for $10M (i think) as a quid pro quo for annexation + Clifton Corridor funding. He stated that he asked all of city council to deny or comment on this and they are all silent. WHOA. Pretty major claims by Fort. Most of yall know how I feel about this topic, but I'm not jumping on this yet. I want more information. Fort criticized the media for dropping the ball. Hopefully some more info comes out on this.

BTW, Lance Bottoms rebutted Sen Fort and said her vote was not for sale and any business transactions that have happened in no way influence her vote. They went back and forth a bit. I hope someone has video...

So yeah, that was pretty interesting
Clifton corridor would be a huge plus for Atlanta, as would getting Emory and the CDC within the city limits. Could lead to annexing wealthy druid hills and adding that tax base to the city.

Similarly, the closing of Peachtree Pine is great for midtown and downtown and was widely hailed by most people living in the area. I, for one, am glad it's finally done regardless of what happened behind the scenes.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:26 PM

23,451 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post

Then the highlight of the night. Sen Fort said he would help MARTA by making sure Emory can't "jump the line" via annexation to fund the Clifton Corridor. He went on to state that he has information that Peachtree Pine was purchased for $10M (i think) as a quid pro quo for annexation + Clifton Corridor funding. He stated that he asked all of city council to deny or comment on this and they are all silent. WHOA. Pretty major claims by Fort.
Was he wearing a tinfoil hat at the time?

Old 09-19-2017, 10:06 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,260,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
(and, he ditched the tiny print signs for ones you can read!)
Yes, there is a very visible Aman sign near my house, hanging on an illegally-placed construction fence that went up a year ago around an overgrown lot, with no construction in sight. Not exactly the image I'd want to project, but I'm not a professional politician. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 09-20-2017, 06:55 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,236,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Clifton corridor would be a huge plus for Atlanta, as would getting Emory and the CDC within the city limits. Could lead to annexing wealthy druid hills and adding that tax base to the city.

Similarly, the closing of Peachtree Pine is great for midtown and downtown and was widely hailed by most people living in the area. I, for one, am glad it's finally done regardless of what happened behind the scenes.
This discussion has been had a good bit in other threads, but while the Clifton Corridor may be a good idea, the question is how should it be funded. The part I highlighted is concerning and leads to an very unhealthy government. Totally disagree there and it is important to fight that thought process as it leads to a government that doesn't work for you.

Fort is a character (to say the least). He wasn't donning the tin foil but he sure was firey about this. I agreed with a lot of what he had to say on this topic. But I'm definitely not jumping on these accusations. I will say, it would not surprise me in the least if it is true though. But that's probably his strategy.

It was interesting to see so many city council members not rebuff his statements. Maybe their strategy is to ignore him. But Lance Bottoms certainly engaged. But she really didn't say anything that denies his accusation, just strong statements that something like that wouldn't influence her vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta