Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2017, 08:57 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,286,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
So Norwood is being criticized for being photographed in downtown Atlanta with a member of the Fulton County Commission and the congressman who represents the north side of metro Atlanta? Nobody criticizes Kasim Reed when he is photographed with our Republican governor.

The reality is that any Atlanta mayor needs solid, workable connections with other elected officials in the state and metro, many of whom are Republicans. The city of Atlanta doesn't exist in a Democratic cone of impenetrability. For that matter, there are a lot of Republicans in the city itself, and a lot of them are our leading citizens and benefactors.

What would the reaction be if somebody pulled a photograph of Mary Norwood with Brent Star and used it to attack her for being in the pocket of the gay community?

Timing matters in elections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 08:59 AM

1,054 posts, read 921,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
I would take the "closet Republican" over Keisha fricking Bottoms any day of the week, and I voted for Reed over Norwood in the 2009 runoff.
Could you elaborate?

Old 10-06-2017, 09:06 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,483,672 times
Quote:
So Norwood is being criticized for being photographed in downtown Atlanta with a member of the Fulton County Commission and the congressman who represents the north side of metro Atlanta? Nobody criticizes Kasim Reed when he is photographed with our Republican governor.

The reality is that any Atlanta mayor needs solid, workable connections with other elected officials in the state and metro, many of whom are Republicans. The city of Atlanta doesn't exist in a Democratic cone of impenetrability. For that matter, there are a lot of Republicans in the city itself, and a lot of them are our leading citizens and benefactors.

What would the reaction be if somebody pulled a photograph of Mary Norwood with Brent Star and used it to attack her for being in the pocket of the gay community?

Actually, I regularly hear repeated criticisms of Kasim Reed for being posed with and connected to Deal. The main criticisms of many whom talk about equity says that Reed is in Deal's backpocket hoping he can get another gig after leaving City Hall. You might want to get out more because that is a very common critique...

Old 10-06-2017, 09:15 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,116,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodean View Post
Could you elaborate?
IMO, Bottoms is grossly under-qualified and has no business being anywhere near the mayor's office.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:18 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,759,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
Actually, I regularly hear repeated criticisms of Kasim Reed for being posed with and connected to Deal. The main criticisms of many whom talk about equity says that Reed is in Deal's backpocket hoping he can get another gig after leaving City Hall. You might want to get out more because that is a very common critique...
Reed is routinely praised for having a close relationship with Governor Deal.

If we're going to keep moving forward, it's absolutely critical for Atlanta's mayor to have strong connections with state government, the feds and other elected officials in the metro area. And for the foreseeable future, that means a whole lot of Republicans.

Old 10-06-2017, 10:16 AM

I'd add that you can easily find photos of many (if not most) of the other candidates in the mayoral race hanging out with Republicans, and doing so in high spirits with big smiles on their faces.

There were plenty of Republicans at this gathering, for instance. BuckheadViewU.S. Sen. Mary Landrieu of Louisiana keynotes Buckhead Coalition

Or this one: https://i1.wp.com/saportareport.com/...yors-stand.jpg

Many of our most favorite real estate developers, corporate chieftains and civic donors are staunch Republicans.

Last edited by arjay57; 10-06-2017 at 10:31 AM..

Old 10-06-2017, 10:31 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,483,672 times
Quote:
I'd add that you can easily find photos of many (if not most) of the other candidates in the mayoral race hanging out with Republicans, and doing so in good spirits with big smiles on their faces.

There were plenty of Republicans at this gathering, for instance. BuckheadViewU.S. Sen. Mary Landrieu of Louisiana keynotes Buckhead Coalition

Or this one: https://i1.wp.com/saportareport.com/...yors-stand.jpg

Many of our most favorite real estate developers, corporate chieftains and civic donors are staunch Republicans.
Routinely praised by whom? I hear more criticisms daily than praise of Reed.

Old 10-06-2017, 10:31 AM

1,054 posts, read 921,626 times
Quote:
Reed is routinely praised for having a close relationship with Governor Deal.

If we're going to keep moving forward, it's absolutely critical for Atlanta's mayor to have strong connections with state government, the feds and other elected officials in the metro area. And for the foreseeable future, that means a whole lot of Republicans.
He is praised among the business community but how does this collaboration play with the "common man" in the CoA? I think thats what these guys (above) are talking about. Any working with a Republican is probably viewed as "selling out".

Old 10-06-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
From the photos I linked to above, it looks like nearly all of the candidates are as happy as can be in Republican company.

The Buckhead Coalition certainly isn't all Republicans but anyone who's been to these events knows they have strong representation there. (As they do in Midtown and downtown as well).

Old 10-06-2017, 12:27 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,749,482 times
Quote:
From who? What political party are they with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta