Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2017, 02:20 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,165,723 times

Advertisements

GDOT is hosting an open house tonight to show off their plans to rebuild the I-85/Jonesboro Rd/SR 138 interchange. The new interchange will be a DDI.
I-85/Jonesboro Rd Interchange DDI by brandon walker, on Flickr
Public Outreach
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 02:37 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
DDI's work, that's why we are seeing them expand to all parts of the metro.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:58 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
DDI's work, that's why we are seeing them expand to all parts of the metro.
I've been pretty satisfied with the DDI at Pleasant Hill. It's all the other lights that are the major problem. But when it comes to turning left onto 85, it's much better than doing the same from Beaver Ruin

Old 03-14-2017, 03:20 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Diverging diamond interchanges are quickly replacing diamond interchanges, partial cloverleaf interchanges, and cloverleaf interchanges. I project plans for the rebuild will advance.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:23 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,359,373 times
I must be the only one who hates DDI interchanges with a passion and feel like I spend much more time than necessary at them. I have stopped exiting at Jimmy Carter from 85 because the time it takes to take a left turn feels like an eternity. Usually 3-4 light cycles. It's much faster to take the Pleasantdale Road exit and then take a bunch of back roads.

I will go out of my way to avoid DDIs for the most part. I think they might work okay at light and medium density intersections, but at intersections with heavy traffic, they are a disaster. Only one direction can go at time.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:24 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,710,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
I've been pretty satisfied with the DDI at Pleasant Hill. It's all the other lights that are the major problem. But when it comes to turning left onto 85, it's much better than doing the same from Beaver Ruin
Agreed.

The lights on Jimmy Carter still suck though.

I don't understand GDOT timing of lights from the interstate at times. Light changes, then you are stuck on the overpass either way. Semi defeats the purpose of the DDI.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:46 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
I must be the only one who hates DDI interchanges with a passion and feel like I spend much more time than necessary at them. I have stopped exiting at Jimmy Carter from 85 because the time it takes to take a left turn feels like an eternity. Usually 3-4 light cycles. It's much faster to take the Pleasantdale Road exit and then take a bunch of back roads.

I will go out of my way to avoid DDIs for the most part. I think they might work okay at light and medium density intersections, but at intersections with heavy traffic, they are a disaster. Only one direction can go at time.
I'm going to have to strongly disagree with you. The 2 that I've had the most experience with are Pleasant Hill and Ashford Dunwoody, and both of those are a noticeably better experience than they used to be.

I remember it used to be crazy backed up trying to make a left from Pleasant Hill onto I-85 northbound, and then sometimes cars in the opposite direction would block you. Now maybe it's not necessarily faster, but it's way less stressful.

Old 03-14-2017, 11:05 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,377,881 times
I believe in these types of interchanges. N.C. is also installing these at a number of clogged exits. There is a new one that they put in near me in the city of Statesville at I-40 and U.S. 21. This area is included in the total reconstruction of the I-77/I-40 interchange at Statesville. The complicated part is that the U.S. 21 exit is less than a mile from the I-40/I-77 interchange. This exit is where most of Statesville's major commercial development is occurring and it used to be just a diamond interchange with traffic signals at the bottom of the ramps. The traffic used to back up in terrible bottlenecks pretty much daily. The state did not widen U.S. 21; instead they built a DDI at the entrance to I-40 and built a new quarter-mile access road to the commercialized area that will connect with a collector road to relive U.S. 21. This new road will also improve access for an urgent care facility by bypassing most traffic signals and turns. The only change for the interchange itself is that the exit ramps will get a little longer. I do believe that the new flyover ramps for the I-40/I-77 interchange will allow for direct access to U.S. 21 instead of having to exit onto I-40 and then immediately exit off for U.S. 21 which created a lot of weaving. They did all of this with no demolition of any existing buildngs, with the DDI built under the I-40 bridge over U.S. 21, and with it all within the current developed area of the location. It seems to be working very well.

Last edited by AtlantaIsHot; 03-14-2017 at 11:32 PM..

Old 03-15-2017, 07:01 PM

644 posts, read 1,430,821 times
We need this at I285 and Riverdale Rd please!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: