Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 04:47 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHonchoATL View Post
logic is out the windows I guess

Here's the problem with your post here.

Only a smaller percentage of the west end are criminals.

So instead of having issue with the criminals you have issue with the larger population.

Hey since 2% are criminals...... let's remove 90% of the neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 04:59 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,352,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post

So instead of having issue with the criminals you have issue with the larger population.

LOL at you saying only 2% of the population in that neighborhood is committing all the crime. Wow.

Old 03-17-2017, 05:10 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,320,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post

It's more than 2%...but even if it is, what's your solution? That 2% is terrorizing the other 98%.

Old 03-17-2017, 05:10 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,155,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
To the suburbs? Seems that has been the trend. Many are now moving there willingly with access to more schools. I don't know where it is written that 'poor' people HAVE to live in the city. I can't find that right in the Constitution anywhere.
You are deflecting way off-topic. Let's get back. Why do you feel that it is OK to displace people to an area where transportation options are far more limited?

Old 03-17-2017, 08:11 PM

643 posts, read 571,437 times
I wouldn't live in an unsafe area full of criminals.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:43 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,320,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
You are deflecting way off-topic. Let's get back. Why do you feel that it is OK to displace people to an area where transportation options are far more limited?
Why do you think it's okay for people to monopolize an area they can't afford and keep out people that can?

Why do you think it's okay to prevent people who WILL put the time and money into fixing up a neighborhood from moving in?

Why do you think other people shouldn't be allowed to move into a neighborhood because the current residents weren't smart enough to buy instead of rent?

And finally...do you not realize that a large portion of these people being "displaced" are actually eager to sell their home and cash in on rising values? No one's holding a gun to their head. Some of these hot neighborhoods are mostly single family homes owned by the family living there. The argument of the poor, pushed out renter with nowhere to go is a straw man.

Old 03-18-2017, 04:40 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,100,661 times
The Westside is not the Eastside, so many different factors at play in NW and SW than there is on the other side of town. First off the Eastside is way more dense than the West, that urban walkable vibe that you get out east from Va-High south to East Atlanta just isn't there on the West as much. Yeah you got some areas like the Bluff, West End, and even those warehouses on Murphy headed south from West End thru Oakland City towards Ft McPherson that have that dense look and feel, but then you also have areas like the Plainville section of Adasmville and the Hollywood Rd area that can pass for somewhere in rural Alabama easily. Do you all realize how much infill would be required for the Westside to gentrify completely? So many areas on the West that just have nothing, it's not even like it's a bunch of blighted homes to tear down or rehab, there just isn't anything there at all. The amount of building to fill all of that in would be a massive project, HUGE! Again. It's not like you're coming in rehabilitating a few houses on this street and the next, and it eventually flows together. This is not the East, its not like how Cabbagetown backs into Reynoldstown and then Edgewood is across the street on the other side of Moreland and then Kirkwood backs into that and so on and so forth. Nah. On the west it's a lot of wooded areas, lot of random curvy streets that dead end into woods, lot of random apartment complexes that basically sit in the middle of nowhere and a ton older subdivisions with cheap stock housing like Lincoln Homes, Crystal Cove, Arno Court, Plainville Dr etc. I mean if people want to leave the burbs and the boonies to move into those areas then by all means do it. But knowing how gentrifiers (white people) think I just don't see it. Those little small 900 sq ft houses with siding on them in areas where it takes you 5 minutes to get to front street because of all the twists and turns are not what you all had in mind when you decided to come into the city. We not talking about cute little brick bungalows on picturesque streets. We're talking that typical ATL sprawl that made folks want to leave the burbs in the first place. I think people on here ride thru areas like Vine City and West End and think the whole West is built like that, nope. Most of the West is bout as suburban as it gets. It's obvious that Atlanta built east first then it started going west. You can look at a map of the city anf see how much denser the ITP east is compared to ITP west. And for that dense walkable lifestyle that is such a driver of gentrification here, I just don't see it on the West outside of a few areas. Not to mention but the same issues that folks on the east have with that landlord in Boston who owns those buildings on Boulevard in the 4th Ward, will be amplified on the west. There are more than a few privately owned section 8 complexes on the Westside. Allen Hills (Allen Temple), Sierra Ridge (The 9), Flipper Temple, Etheridge Courts, Shamrock Gardens and I'm missing some as well. You think the owner of Allen Hills is going to sell? Yeah good luck with that one.

Last edited by oldschoolChevy; 03-18-2017 at 04:51 AM..

Old 03-18-2017, 06:17 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,357,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHonchoATL View Post
I wouldn't live in an unsafe area full of criminals.
Then don't move to West End. West End ≠ All Of Westside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
I think people on here ride thru areas like Vine City and West End and think the whole West is built like that, nope.
This is pretty spot-on observation. Every time a discussion about the westside comes up, you have almost entirely discussion about the area south of Hollowell, mostly centered near I-20. There are plenty of other Westside neighborhoods that are not like those areas.

Last edited by samiwas1; 03-18-2017 at 07:18 AM..

Old 03-18-2017, 07:00 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
The Westside is not the Eastside, so many different factors at play in NW and SW than there is on the other side of town. First off the Eastside is way more dense than the West, that urban walkable vibe that you get out east from Va-High south to East Atlanta just isn't there on the West as much. ....
Good points, oldschoolChevy. The housing stock on the west side may not lend itself to gentrification in the same way as the east side has.

Old 03-18-2017, 07:07 AM

1,189 posts, read 1,162,177 times
Almost seems that there are as many rail yards, cemeteries, and landfills as there are neighborhoods in that NW area.

Our Hollywood isn't glamorous but with enough motivation could become at least a decent and acceptable alternative.

For everyone.

Last edited by Fubarbundy; 03-18-2017 at 07:11 AM.. Reason: ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta