Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 11:44 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times

Advertisements

I hate this kind of totally irresponsible reporting.

I can't form a full opinion on how bad the message was and what should be done about it without seeing the full message, and neither can you.

WSB is saying, "The message was vile and deplorable. You know, we won't show it to you, but just trust our judgment on this."

No, I will not trust your judgment. I will make my own judgment based on what the message actually says. I'm not just taking your word for it, and neither should any of you. So it's really impossible to comment on this story, because you don't actually know what you are commenting about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 02:27 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Cobb student who made racist rant shouldn't return, parents say

I'm surprised no one posted about this. This is a serious issue that all Atlantians should know about. This student threatened all black people and received no punishment.
In the article that demonta linked to, it stated that some parents said that the school told them that the student in question would not return to the school while other parents said that they were told that the student would not return for classes that Friday.

From the article that demonta linked to:
Quote:
Several parents say they were told the student who made the rant would not return to the school. Others said they were told the student would not return for Friday classes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
How do you know there's been no punishment? The school district will not advertise what happens to the student due to privacy issues. Parents are not informed of individual students' punishments, even in situations where it's a one-on-one bullying situation (the victim's parents are not informed of the bully's punishment). He's probably going to have to go before a disciplinary panel, and that takes time.
CMMom makes an excellent point that the school system most often will not advertise what punishment a student will receive (even in a high-profile incident such as this) due to privacy issues.

The original report of this incident in the AJC, while reporting that a parent at the school said that student in question had been suspended three days, made note that Cobb County School District officials would not officially comment on the student's punishment, citing privacy issues...

"Cobb student threatens black people in racist online rant" (Atlanta Journal Constitution)
Cobb Schools student makes racist rant on social media

From the article in the link:
Quote:
One parent who posted the image on her Facebook page said a student found responsible was suspended for three days. Cobb County School District officials did not comment on the student’s punishment, citing privacy issues.
If the reporting in the two AJC articles on the incident is correct, the student in question received a punishment for the incident that ranged anywhere from three days suspension (as initially reported by the AJC) to an indefinite suspension/expulsion (as later reported by the AJC). In any case, it appears that the student in question received some type of punishment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

I can't form a full opinion on how bad the message was and what should be done about it without seeing the full message, and neither can you.

WSB is saying, "The message was vile and deplorable. You know, we won't show it to you, but just trust our judgment on this."

No, I will not trust your judgment. I will make my own judgment based on what the message actually says. I'm not just taking your word for it, and neither should any of you. So it's really impossible to comment on this story, because you don't actually know what you are commenting about.
In the original report of the incident by the AJC, it was noted that the student in question used racial epithets in reference to black people and basically made threats of violence against black people in a social media post (on Snapchat) which a parent at the school found and posted a picture of on her own Facebook page. The article on the incident in the Marietta Daily Journal (Cobb County's official newspaper of public record) reported basically a similar story.

From the original report in the AJC:
Quote:
North Cobb High School officials say they are investigating racist comments allegedly made by a student on social media.

A parent posted a picture of the comments, apparently made on Snapchat, on her Facebook page. In it, the poster writes mentioning*black people as the n-word, wanting slavery back and wanting to be the person who assassinated President Abraham Lincoln, among other things.

The student also mentions*“exterminating all (n-words)” and wishes that black people never were created.
"Cobb student threatens black people in racist online rant" (Atlanta Journal Constitution)
Cobb Schools student makes racist rant on social media

From the report of the incident in the Marietta Daily Journal:
Quote:
North Cobb High School’s administration is investigating a racist social media post that circulated around the school this week, according to district officials.

A North Cobb High student allegedly posted a racist note on social media that included the n-word five times, said, “I want slavery back” and threatened African-Americans with violence if they approached the student about the post.
"North Cobb High investigating racist post on social media"
North Cobb High investigating racist post on social media | News | mdjonline.com

Overall, it seems that the comments that the student in question posted were serious enough for the student to possibly face expulsion and for 310 other students to miss school that Friday (more than three times the normal rate of school absenteeism) out of fear for their own safety.

Though, to many it might appear that no meaningful punishment was handed out because it does not seem to have been reported that criminal charges were filed over the incident.

Old 03-17-2017, 06:34 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:

Consider yourself repped.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:49 AM

994 posts, read 1,540,812 times
Quote:

Um, the message was beyond vile and deplorable. It was a terroristic threat. I saw it, in full.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:50 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,365,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Yep. If a racist ***** grabber can become president, why should anyone hide their prejudices, right?

Exactly! And let me tell you, working in grocery retail, I have seen everybody use WIC. They better enjoy it while they can. Those baby boomers won't be aroung forever and hopefully next time we will have more progressive candidates.
T

Old 03-17-2017, 09:47 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
If the kid is dangerous he can't be allowed back in school.

If he's just a huge jerk, let him come back and deal with the consequences.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:59 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,135,673 times
There are a few racist sympathizers on this thread and of course, it didn't take long for the "mental health" excuse to come up since he's white.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:34 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
There are a few racist sympathizers on this thread and of course, it didn't take long for the "mental health" excuse to come up since he's white.
Being a racist jerk is not a mental health issue, but someone who threatens violence toward others may well be off their rocker.

That certainly doesn't excuse violence but it kicks things into a different zone. Even bigoted a-holes generally don't act out in a physically harmful way.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:39 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,523,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Cobb student who made racist rant shouldn't return, parents say

I'm surprised no one posted about this. This is a serious issue that all Atlantians should know about. This student threatened all black people and received no punishment.
Its not really a serious issue Demonta. If no one was physically harmed this kid with the offensive talk will be ok in life. He will go to college and be awarded a great job. This story really isnt news. Black people have bigger fish to fry.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:45 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,523,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Are you really going to drag politics into a thread that has nothing to do with it?
I know it's de rigueur, but this unrelenting display of chest-beating demagoguery become rather childish and tiresome.
Even the right didnt behave this badly when Obama won. You had your few degenerates here and there, but nothing like the crybaby temper tantrums we all have been seeing since the results of the election. What America needs is a real crisis. Maybe we need another terrorist attack. A real one from real a terrorist. Not these home grown wannabees shooting up night clubs and movie theaters. America hasnt had a really crisis since the Great Recession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta