Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 08:04 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times

Advertisements

Would parts of Fayette County not work? I know Peachtree City is probably too expensive but I can't imagine all of the rest of the county is too expensive.

That said, I do love my area of Gwinnett just NW of Snellville (Brookwood HS). I'm about 45 minutes to Forest Park but I'm in the more northeastern part of the district. There are areas closer where you could cut off 15 minutes easy. Same with the Parkview HS cluster. Only thing, we don't have a Costco nearby. Closest is ~15 minutes away. We do, however, have a Sams Club practically next to us but I understand that's not the same as Costco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 08:18 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,752,813 times
Live in Smyrna and do the reverse commute on 285

Old 03-18-2017, 11:07 PM

4 posts, read 6,181 times
fieldm...would the reverse commute be the 285 West/South around the left side of the city? Or the other way around?

Old 03-18-2017, 11:49 PM

2,307 posts, read 2,995,264 times
Yes, I was going to say Smyrna and do 285 West/South, but I hate for you to be so far. Would you consider one of the intown neighborhoods like the edges of Ormewood Park or East Atlanta Village (these neighborhoods are more expensive than your budget but you might find a few listings). Smaller homes than you are after but they have a great thing going on. It would be more of a N. Hollywood/Sherman Oaks vibe than an Orange County vibe, but it would put you closer to work. Otherwise, Smyrna. Also check out Fayette County and see if it is too far from the action for you.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:50 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnjagg01 View Post
fieldm...would the reverse commute be the 285 West/South around the left side of the city? Or the other way around?
The reverse-commute that fieldm is referring to from Smyrna to Forest Park would be by way of I-285 southbound and eastbound (285 West/South around the left side of the city) during the morning commute, and by way of I-285 westbound and northbound from Forest Park to Smyrna during the afternoon/evening rush hour commute.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:35 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
You should check out Fayetteville and Peachtree City. As I posted in another thread recently, a lot of Southen Californians have made that transition easily for some reason. And if there's a Costco in Morrow that's just south of Forest Park.

I feel for you having to leave Huntington Beach ... what a beautiful place!

Old 03-19-2017, 07:36 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,362,007 times
Union Grove High Cluster (Union Grove High/ Middle Eastlake Elementary/Timber Ridge Elementary) northeast of McDonough. Best schools on the southside suburbs (except Fayette County of course). VERY accessible to Forest Park via 75, or 675 (Forest Parkway exits from both) the recent Eastlake Parkway extension from Eagles Landing Parkway exit of 75 makes the entire Union Grove area A LOT more accessible. I must also point out that the Dutchtown High district discussed here is ACTUALLY another high performing High school in Henry County, but people often dismiss it due to its high percent of minorities (which I really think is unfair). I also must point out that the Tri-Cities area (East Point, College Park, Hapeville) do have some nice, charming areas, but I would say the same about Forest Park, Lake City, Morrow, and the Jonesboro Historic District (really more nice areas further away from "shady" ones than one could find in the Tri-Cities area.) These homes are also less expensive than in the more desirable parts of the Tri-Cities area (sometimes by over a hundred thousand dollars) in case you wished to invest in private schools, although there are a number of okay to good schools in Clayton County, too, especially at the elementary level, despite the maligning of them you see here on city data (Morrow Elementary in Morrow and Suder and Arnold Elementary in the Jonesboro/ Lake Spivey area come to mind) The best areas of Forest Park include North Avenue corridor (just a block north of Forest Park's downtown, it has many lovely mid-century and even some historical homes, but it is in the flight pattern) and the Pinecrest Drive/ Road corridor on the southside of Forest Park that ranges from Mid-century ranches, to some actually pretty substantial homes on acre plus lots in the Sequoyah Woods subdivision that is generally thought of as the BEST street in town. Ash Street and Phillips Drive on Forest Park's southside also have cute, well kept, "vintage" homes, but most are on the smaller side. Adjacent Lake City does have some streets of larger homes, too, but most of its streets are dotted with well kept, but small homes on tree shaded lots ala Forest Park's southside. The City of Morrow, just south of Lake City/ Forest Park really, in my opinion, is the jewel of them all. It is also mostly ranches and split-levels of the mid-century (mid 50's - mid 60's) vintage, but they trend larger than Forest Park and Lake City. The City of Morrow (especially on the west side of the city) has an excellent pedestrian/ bicycle/ golf cart path system that weaves its way through woodlands and wetlands connecting the well kept neighborhoods to shopping centers, Clayton State University, and Morrow's extension collection of neighborhood parks, including the massive Reynold's Nature Preserve. Morrow also has Southlake Mall (not exactly a "premier" shopping center) but it does have the basics: Sears, Macy's (the best one on the southside, full line with a furniture department), Children's Place, etc. Jonesboro is just a few miles south of Forest Park/ Lake City/ Morrow. It has a quaint downtown and lovely historical homes. Just east of Jonesboro is my own lovely Lake Spivey community. Yes the homes directly on the private Lake Spivey do range to millions of dollars, but you will find some not on the lake, but still with lake privileges in the upper 200,000's and 300,000's; there are some directly on adjacent Lake Jodeco for much less than that. You were talking demographics. While I find race a manmade concept, I will say that Forest Park's main ethnic group is Hispanic, but there are lots of older White people there, because of its history of being a White working class community; the same can be said of Morrow and Lake City, although they both have large Asian populations (especially Southeast Asia: Vietnam, Cambodia, Korea, etc) I have lived, shopped, went to church, etc. my entire life and never have found my self as "the only one" anywhere in Forest Park/ Lake City/ or Morrow. Jonesboro is also diverse. Lake Spivey does trend "whiter", but I have wonderful neighbors of EVERY ethnic group. Another thing. I would NOT want to drive from Smyrna/ South Cobb daily. Forest Park/ Lake City/ Morrow are, for the most part, as close and convenient to the City of Atlanta as Tri- Cities, they are just southeast of Atlanta rather than southwest. Forest Park does actually touch Atlanta City Limits. Henry County and Fayette County are, of course, further out, but still VERY ACCESSIBLE to Forest Park overall, just less so to the City of Atlanta. Best of luck to you. I hope all of this helps.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:36 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,412,952 times
^ paragraphs are your friend

Old 03-20-2017, 05:22 PM

761 posts, read 907,514 times
I'd look in Southern Fayetteville near Starr's Mill or Whitewater High schools. This areas will have your desired demographics. The Starr's Mill area has an average home price above 500k, but if you're coming from Orange County that will be a bargain to you. This area is on the southside & is about 35-40 minutes from Forest Park. It is home to some of the best schools in the state. It is also connected to the 100 miles of Peachtree City golf cart paths.

Also, as Newsboy stated earlier, there are a lot of CA transplants in Fayette County and growing due to Pinewood studios, and high quality of life in Fayette County/ Peachtree City.

Here are some sample neighborhoods.

http://www.thegates.bhhsgeorgia.com

http://www.camga.com/wwcreek/outside_home.asp

http://www.highgroveatwhitewatercreek.com

http://www.newhavenhome.net

http://www.woodcreek.org

Last edited by PTC Dad; 03-20-2017 at 05:34 PM..

Old 03-20-2017, 07:37 PM

95 posts, read 85,954 times
If you can make the cost work, City of Decatur fits all of your requested needs. We just relocated to Atlanta from Huntington Beach & it's a great community. The best schools, restaurants, bars, and proximity to everything in Atlanta makes Decatur a huge draw for families & professionals. That said, $200k - $300k isn't realistic in Decatur. Just food for thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta