Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 07:04 AM

29 posts, read 43,293 times

Advertisements

Prices are up because inventory is low. Inventory is only low because many people are buying multiple homes as investment properties (rental properties).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 07:30 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,702,626 times
Inventory is low because not enough homes are being built. Atlanta has returned to pre-recession growth rates, yet the pace of new home construction still remains well below even 2007 levels.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what can be done to fix that at the state/local level.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:29 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,119,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Unfortunately, I'm not sure what can be done to fix that at the state/local level.
Relax zoning ordinances.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Relax zoning ordinances.
My understanding is that they're already pretty laxed in the Metro Atlanta area, compared to most metro areas.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:39 AM

333 posts, read 387,992 times
Another reason for the low inventory (in addition to investors snatching up anything that is half decent below $300K) is that sellers simply aren't selling, many of them concerned about finding something else once their home sells.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:23 AM

651 posts, read 476,007 times
Weren't a ton of builders put out of business during the recession? I am guessing only a handful survived and that isn't enough to curve the supply issue.

Old 05-25-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otakumaster View Post
Weren't a ton of builders put out of business during the recession? I am guessing only a handful survived and that isn't enough to curve the supply issue.
Yes, that's part of it.

But the builders that remain are still complaining about construction and labor costs. And then there's the fact that banks are still being very tight with lending as well.

Old 05-25-2018, 12:22 PM

1,383 posts, read 1,561,244 times
Question from an admittedly-uninformed layperson: does the oversupply of apartments in and around town figure into the equation with regard to low inventory? It seems to me, with all these shiny new apartments being built [one of them an Ozzie Albies home run away from my home in Duluth], that there's an imbalance in the market that hasn't quite normalized in the past 10 years.

Old 05-27-2018, 11:14 AM

1,005 posts, read 729,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltaxgirl View Post
Hi Everyone,
I'm currently renting (work off of 285 and live in an apartment close to the new Braves stadium, lease is up at the end of June). I'm trying to get into a townhome in the Kennesaw area (Kennesaw marketplace - Barrett/41) and want to stay under 200K. The market right now is absolutely nuts - places are getting multiple offers in a day or two, with the final price way above asking and recent comps. I want to get out of my apartment (paying rent stinks) and I want to get away from the new Stadium, but I don't want to overpay. I'm seriously considering renewing my lease for another 6 months because that would put me back on the market in the late fall/winter, which I hope would be a slower market. Is there any areas that I'm overlooking (want to keep my commute to 30/40 minutes)? Should I bite the bullet and pay more or should I wait until next winter when things aren't so crazy? It's very frustrating right now. Thanks for any feedback.
Hooboy does that not ring any bells for me! I've closed on a home in an area I grew up in the city, nearly no white folk or middle class blacks, and it was a competition to buy a home. A lot of it is real estate speculation and it's crazy, but, if your choice is to buy, then my only suggestion is to be the first person in line with an offer. It's definitely a race. If you have a good real estate agent and they know what you want, maybe they can visit the home for you if a post alert (which I highly suggest subscribing to) gets your interest. I had that experience for a home that posted under 24 hours before they went to check on it, and had an offer that same day to learn there were 5 offers. I knew my max (which I highly suggest you stick to) and learned I was the second offer; was bummed but the first backed out and lo and behold. Even got some deals (which is hard to do at the moment) because they wanted an insanely quick closing.

I've been on the market for about 1.5 years. I'm not sure about Kennesaw but I did regret not putting in offers on homes that weren't perfect in the winter time, only because the available homes shot up in price this spring. The experience broke my nerves but, my best wisdom is to have a max that you're absolutely not willing to move from (because closing costs can get expensive!), and come to terms with that really deciding where you're going to end up geographically.

Old 05-27-2018, 02:52 PM

145 posts, read 93,293 times
Things are getting to expensive. I would rather it slow down and bring prices down. How are people going to afford to live here?

I thought about moving to New York or maybe DC but since their job markets are even busier there is no way I could afford the move. How do people do it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta