Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 08:33 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,165,723 times

Advertisements

Personally I would vote against a proposed South Fulton City. I think Atlanta, Union City, College Park and Fairburn should have a chance to annex these areas.

Quote:
A bill that would allow Fulton County’s last unincorporated area to vote on whether it wants to be a city was resurrected Tuesday a week after was defeated in committee.

And in resurrection, it was approved unanimously by members of the Senate’s State and Local Governmental Operations committee. Its next hurdle is the Senate, then it must return to the House for approval. Its outcome is still uncertain.

Even this much progress, though, was exciting for Rep. Roger Bruce, D-Atlanta, who sponsored HB 514.

“They just did the right thing,” he said. “It restores your faith in the democratic process.”If approved, the proposal would allow all of South Fulton’s residents to decide whether they wanted to incorporate into a single city. The measure was stopped two years ago, and again earlier this session. Last week, a competing proposal to annex all of the unincorporated area into neighboring cities was shot down by the Fulton County delegation. The bill to allow a single city of South Fulton resurfaced this week.

When the measure was defeated along partisan lines last week, residents said they were disappointed that they would not get a chance to vote on cityhood. Since then, Bruce and others have been talking to committee members in an effort to convince them that a city of South Fulton is viable.

For a decade, Bruce said, the area has essentially had its own police and fire departments, administered through the county. A feasibility study showed it would have a surplus in the millions.
South Fulton residents could get a vote on incorporation | www.myajc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 08:46 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times
If there is a new city, first of all they would need a better name/ unique identity than "South Fulton". Something like 'Campbellton', or 'Camp Creek' sounds a lot better.

And regardless, the section north/east of Camp Creek Pkwy should be in Atlanta.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:55 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,165,723 times
I agree with you. I think areas east of Camp Creek should go to Atlanta. Honestly though I don't see this bill passing this late in the session, plus isn't the general assembly studying how to change the rules of how an area can become a city?

Old 03-16-2016, 09:04 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
I agree with you. I think areas east of Camp Creek should go to Atlanta.
Why so? I'm not challenging you, just asking.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
I agree with you. I think areas east of Camp Creek should go to Atlanta. Honestly though I don't see this bill passing this late in the session, plus isn't the general assembly studying how to change the rules of how an area can become a city?
What they need is some kind of incorporated entity that is also not a city. Then this area, and areas like East Cobb could look at something like that. And LaVista Hills. Anything that doesn't have an historical center.

Johns Creek, Milton, and Peachtree Corners should have been that. 'Township' or whatever. Unlikely now, but they should be downgraded, because they simply are not cities in any kind of sense. Though, maybe now they will be gradually retrofitted to resemble cities with central town centers and a local identity and sense of place.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Why so? I'm not challenging you, just asking.
For one, look at how funky the borders would be:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/At...fede2f990b630b

Just makes sense for Atlanta to extend to the river, I dunno.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:25 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post

Hm. Many (if not most) cities have "funky borders."

I'm not seeing how that helps or hurts the ATL. We have a lot of challenges in our city and we don't need to be annexing new territory unless there's a clear reason to do so.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:

I'm not seeing how that helps or hurts the ATL. We have a lot of challenges in our city and we don't need to be annexing new territory unless there's a clear reason to do so.
Not sure, but I think that area would do more for the tax base of the city than it would cost the city. It's minimally residential, and contains an airport.

And the residential portion is Sandtown which I believe is moderately wealthy.

Also it would bring in black residents, to equal/balance the mostly white annexation proposal in Druid Hills.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:48 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,377,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post

Most of metro Atlanta's suburbs have crazy borders. Look at Smyrna, Marietta, and Kennesaw. Alpharetta too. That won't stop it from being approved.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:53 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,377,881 times
Quote:

There is a clear reason to do so. A lot of that industrial land would be valuable to the city coffers and there is also some newer residential areas that could be brought in. These two reasons are two of the most important reasons for any annexation anywhere. These are some of the reasons that other cities in the metro have annexed willy-nilly. But for some reason when Atlanta wants to add anything to it's territory, it's some big federal case that requires court cases and rulings, Assembly bills and approval, and referendums where the opponents wage total warfare public campaigns against it. This silly bias is insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta