Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 08:50 AM

2,307 posts, read 2,994,643 times

Advertisements

You can absolutely find this in Mableton at the top of your $300k budget. Swim/tennis community with homes built in 1980s. I would not call it "resort" but definitely decent subdivision style living. For example:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...ex=GA625886786
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 08:55 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,785,620 times
There are some older neighborhoods 40+ years, that have swim/tennis options in the closer-in eastern suburbs--non-incorporated northern Decatur, Tucker, maybe Clarkeston and Stone Mountain (but many folks consider Clarkeston and Stone Mountain very iffy--so you really should do your research before jumping in). Just doing a quick look, I see a 1961 5/3 2200 sqft home with access to swim and tennis for 284K just north of North Dekalb Mall, another 5/3 just east of North Lake Mall built in 1987 for 300K. Both have voluntary swim tennis.

Last edited by jeoff; 03-24-2017 at 09:06 AM..

Old 03-24-2017, 10:10 AM

6 posts, read 4,888 times
Bigup, I prefer the resort style settings and amenities because it makes me feel always on vacation

Flamadiddle, yes, the fitness center/gym is a must because it's the only way my wife will workout. go figure!

Born 2 Roll, I will take a look at the article you mentioned about the shortage of inventory and higher home prices.

Thanks again
Mike

Old 03-24-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
What about Mableton?
Yes, I was definitely looking into Mableton! Thanks

Old 03-27-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
For you the options are:

1. Raise your budget significantly and check out the northern suburbs.

2. Keep same budget, go to northern burbs, but live in the more far flung areas that will definitely be closer to an hour to midtown.

3. Give up the amenities and find a home in a nice neighborhood of the intown burbs, like north druid hills or "not city proper" Decatur. You might be able to find a home in your budget, but there will be no subdivisions.

4. Keep all of your requirements but head more towards the south or western suburbs. They aren't nearly as desirable, but they are cheaper and you can still get to midtown in less than 40 mins from both.

That's it. Those are your options.

Forhall, thanks for the advice.

Why isn't the south or west suburbs as desirable as the north? Crime? Less developed?
Yes, I also tend to notice prices in those areas are cheaper than the north.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:25 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,320,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intromaster View Post
Forhall, thanks for the advice.

Why isn't the south or west suburbs as desirable as the north? Crime? Less developed?
It's just a mixture of reasons. The northern suburbs have really great schools, are very wealthy, and have a ton of development. They are also some of the safest cities in all of Georgia. There are always new, high quality developments showing up in Alpharetta, johns Creek, Sandy Springs etc. Many of the shops and restaraunts that do well in Atlanta end up opening second locations in the northern suburbs.

The southern burbs are hit or miss. Not nearly as much development goes on down there. Some have higher crime than parts of atlanta. But there are some nice communities down there, you just have to do quite a bit of research.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:07 AM

OK, thanks for the detailed explanation! I will continue to do my research.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:11 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,934,485 times
Also jobs. I'm not really sure which came first (the old chicken or the egg conundrum) but at this point the northern burbs are more convenient to the majority of job centers. Pretty much everything is located north of I 20 which makes downtown Atlanta the southern extent of the major jobs center (although the airport area does have its fair share). A county like Douglas is convenient to downtown and maybe midtown or Cumberland. Buckhead, Perimeter Center and even Alpharetta are loaded with jobs and just aren't convenient for anyone on the southside.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:30 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intromaster View Post
In addition to the reasons mentioned by Forhall and sedimenjerry, another very major reason why more wealth and affluence has gravitated towards the Northern suburbs than towards the Southern, Western and Eastern suburbs is because of the presence of the large manmade federal water supply lakes Lanier and Allatoona and the presence of the foothills and ranges of the Blue Ridge and Southern Appalachian mountains north of the city.

Because the aforementioned lakes are a major source of water supply and recreation, and because the lakes, the foothills and the mountains are a major resource of recreation and scenery, Atlanta's metropolitan development patterns and preferences have long tilted heavily to the north towards those popular resources, even before the city grew into one of the largest major metro areas on the continent.

Water, hills and mountains can be some really major selling points in the real estate development business....Particularly in a landlocked region hundreds of miles inland from the ocean where the land is generally level.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:47 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigup View Post
Why not look at one of the in-town "suburban" areas in North Decatur (Toco Hills, Medlock, etc.)? You definitely won't get resort-style amenities, but it's a nice area and there are 50/60s-era SFHs around 300k that have been updated substantially. They'll all be sub-1500sq ft for that price.
I'd love to know where. Even the fixer-upper SFHs in that area are going for 400+.

https://www.redfin.com/zipcode/30329...rty-type=house
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta