Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 07:09 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,724,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Good luck finding respite from hot summers in the eastern U.S.; New England or the Upper Midwest, maybe. The rest of it is classified as humid subtropical, and most eastern cities sit in lowlands adjacent to a large river...a recipe for excess humidity. I've experienced summers in Orlando, Miami, Washington D.C., New York City and coastal GA; give me Atlanta any day, every day. The only summers better in my living experience were in Seattle, and that's a pretty high standard. Besides, for Seattle summers you pay the price the rest of the year.
I lived in NYC for a while, and didn't think summers were too bad. I had no air conditioner, and usually the breeze flowing through the buildings from the water was enough to cool it off. There were definitely hot days, but not nearly as many 90+ degree humid days in a row than we should expect every summer in Atlanta. That said, the subway stations were a whole different ball game. Holy s*** do those get hot...I don't know why they don't put any large fans in them like MARTA does for the stations here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 07:49 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,320,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
I lived in NYC for a while, and didn't think summers were too bad. I had no air conditioner, and usually the breeze flowing through the buildings from the water was enough to cool it off. There were definitely hot days, but not nearly as many 90+ degree humid days in a row than we should expect every summer in Atlanta. That said, the subway stations were a whole different ball game. Holy s*** do those get hot...I don't know why they don't put any large fans in them like MARTA does for the stations here.
When I lived in NYC I was hotter than in Atlanta. Seems many business and buildings don't have or use AC because "It's the north, we don't need it up here".

Old 03-29-2017, 08:17 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,481,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Yes, you can escape the cold of winter by hiding indoors. That's the problem though. In the north you spend 6 months out of the year freezing everytime you leave your home, have to put on a huge winter coat and don't get to enjoy outdoor activities at all. It's miserable. I lived there for years, and those longs Neverending winters wete horrible every year.

In Atlanta, winter lasts about 2 months, and even then there are days where a light jacket is all you need. It's such a relief to know when I'm pulling out my "winter jacket" that I'll be back to shorts within 2-3 months, as opposed to the 6 or 7 month misery we had to endure back north.
Some people prefer the cold and outdoor activities in the Winter like sledding, skating, building snowmen/snow forts, a peaceful walk through the snowy woods, the beauty of snow filled trees, a white Christmas, etc. It's the stuff dreams are made of, just depends on the person I guess, but the lack of a real Winter is one of the main reasons we left Atlanta...

The many Thomas Kinkade Winter paintings say it all.

https://www.google.com/search?q=thom...nter+village&*

Old 03-29-2017, 09:15 AM

376 posts, read 330,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newengland17 View Post
This is a totally baseless and self-serving comment.

People can escape the cold of a winter much easier than a hot muggy summer.
Heat is uncomfortable - cold is miserable!

Old 03-29-2017, 09:58 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,261,099 times
Cool weather is nice, but cold is miserable. Sorry, I don't want to wear three layers of clothing for months out of the year, while dealing with snow and ice. And I'm uncomfortably cold when it dips below 40 here, so, I wouldn't want to live where it's regularly in the 20's all winter.

Summer heat and humidity is also miserable, but far less so. I absolutely love wearing shorts and sandals and a thin, comfortable t-shirt or a thin material polo, for basically half the year. And I only have to deal with the heat for minutes at a time, since everything in Atlanta is air-conditioned, and cars are air-conditioned.

And sweating feels good. Getting wet in the summer time feels great, and jumping in the pool is the absolute best.

Also, Atlanta does not have miserable summers. And anyone who's lived in south Florida, where it truly is miserably hot, can tell you that in a heartbeat. Atlanta had one summer just a few years ago, when we barely even reached 90 (due to a lot of rain and cloud cover all summer.) And every year we get some nice days and some very tolerable days in the summer.

I have never felt as hot as when I was visiting Miami. That is too hot. And most of the north (except Seattle) is too much winter for me. Atlanta is a comfortably temperate place. Give me the mid-latitudes of this country, thanks.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:09 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Atlanta is much to far south in latitude to have a comfortable climate. The solar declination angle is too high much of the year, and not well defined seasons of equal length. As someone with mostly northern European ancestry, I prefer the Upper Midwest climate as I don't find 20F that cold at all. However, Atlanta has one of the better climates for being in the southern US.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:28 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,047,072 times
I loved the weather in Atlanta up until the last few years we were there when the bugs and humidity got to me. Most compare the weather to the rest of the east coast and midwest and it compares favorably I think. However compared to many places out west not so much, but as always its highly subjective. We moved back to the pacific northwest and while very different are enjoying not only the outdoor opportunities but the mild weather and incredible 6 month run we have each spring summer.

I still love Atlanta, and if you prefer being indoors and pool time rather than active outdoor activities summers will probably be great!!! All things considered the area has a lot to offer.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:38 AM

1,850 posts, read 3,016,468 times
I love the humidity. Looking forward to my first summer.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:45 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Some people prefer the cold and outdoor activities in the Winter like sledding, skating, building snowmen/snow forts, a peaceful walk through the snowy woods, the beauty of snow filled trees, a white Christmas, etc. It's the stuff dreams are made of, just depends on the person I guess, but the lack of a real Winter is one of the main reasons we left Atlanta...

The many Thomas Kinkade Winter paintings say it all.

https://www.google.com/search?q=thom...nter+village&*

And Thomas Kincade sucks.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:50 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Atlanta is much to far south in latitude to have a comfortable climate. The solar declination angle is too high much of the year, and not well defined seasons of equal length. As someone with mostly northern European ancestry, I prefer the Upper Midwest climate as I don't find 20F that cold at all. However, Atlanta has one of the better climates for being in the southern US.

I guess that applies to western North Carolina as well.

Climate zones follow topography, not latitudes.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta