U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2008, 03:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,225 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I own a 3BR/2BA full basement w/2 car garage house in Smyrna outside the city limits near the covered bridge. Nice neighborhood - my house is the crappiest. It's been rented for a couple of years but now my tenant is moving out.

I have no intention of living there again so I'm wondering if I should sell. There are several more expensive homes on the market in the neighborhood so I could undercut their prices. I have quite a bit of equity and am 5 years into a low fixed-rate mortgage.

In terms of selling, it would need some work - new kitchen counters, replacment window, carpeting, paint. So I'm leaning toward renting. Is the rental market still good there?

Anyone have any advice?
Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 06:37 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,968,467 times
It's a buyers market right now. Not the best time to sell, but it might make sense if that is a better option to you than renting. But given that you have been renting it out for awhile, it wouldn't seem to be a big hassle for you to keep renting it out. In this market, if you want it to sell, you will either have to fix up all the "problems" and then price it reasonably, or else forego fixing it up and offer it at a fire sale price. Personally, I would not sell in this market unless I had to. You have to figure it will get better 2-3 years down the road. But who knows, right.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:20 PM

67 posts, read 218,829 times
I hear the rental market is doing well since it is harder to get qualified for a loan now that a lot of the "alternative" loans have gone away.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:13 PM

27 posts, read 146,293 times
You mention that you have rented for a couple years, so I'm assuming that it was your primary residence prior to that point. If you have quite a bit of equity in the property due to price appreciation, then you may want to sell due to beneficial tax treatment. You can sell your home and not pay tax on the gain if it is your primary residence. This is defined as your primary residence if you have lived in it 2 out of the last 5 years. So in this case if it was a primary residence prior to renting the last couple years, you may want to take advantage of selling now and not paying tax when you don't have to. This is one of the few opportunities in the US where you can actually sell an appreciated asset without paying taxes.

The flip side to all of this is that it is a good time to have rental properties. Vacancy rates have dropped at apartment complexes and I've even heard that some apartments are becoming so picky that people are having trouble leasing.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:57 PM

28 posts, read 200,251 times
The rental market is not very strong, the complexes are offering all sorts of deals for people to move in... In my opinion you would have to be offering something really good for someone to choose your home over a complex that has a pool, fitness center, tennis & more... Make the necessary repairs and sell.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:58 AM

44 posts, read 195,808 times
I may be looking to move this summer and I was wondering exactly what condition the house was in. I currently rent a house on the other side of Smyrna (near 285) and I'd like to move to the other side to get my son into a different middle school district. Here's what I'm looking for:
3 bed/2 bath, fenced in yard (I have two small dogs >10lbs), preferable a garage. If you were to rent, how much would you ask monthly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: