Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Westside Trail real estate overheated?
Overheated 7 21.21%
Just getting started 17 51.52%
It's about right 6 18.18%
Don't know the area 3 9.09%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 07:45 AM

222 posts, read 243,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Oh, you mean gentrified levels of retail. The retail there has supported that community for decades, somehow the existing residents were able to survive without the need of overpriced coffee.
You and I know the retail is garbage on that side of town. Improving, yes. But chain fast food restaurants rule the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 08:18 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travbo View Post
You and I know the retail is garbage on that side of town. Improving, yes. But chain fast food restaurants rule the day.
There are some good non-fast food restaurants over there:
Soul Vegetarian
Murrell's Cafe
Q Time
Check them out during ASA

Old 03-27-2017, 08:30 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,321,111 times
Quote:
Retail? The area around West End Mall has plenty of retail. What kind of retail are you referring to?
West End mall is not the type of retail anyone wants to be close to. I don't know how many shootings/fights I've read about in the paper at and around that "mall"

The discussion is about whether the retail over there supports much more expensive homes. There is no question that the retail currently there does support sub 100k home prices, but now we are talking about future residents who are paying 250k and up. Once you start hitting those price points, the retail needs to be of a higher quality and safety level than West End Mall.

So, no, the retail doesn't support those prices yet. People are buying into the hype and hoping the area gentrifies after they "get in cheap".

Old 03-27-2017, 08:31 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Oh, you mean gentrified levels of retail. The retail there has supported that community for decades, somehow the existing residents were able to survive without the need of overpriced coffee.
Oh, come on, cq. Yes, you can grab a cup of coffee at the Chevron at University, but the retail options along Metropolitan and Whitehall are pretty meager. While they don't have to go whole hog and create another Oakhurst or Kirkwood, I seriously doubt the locals would object to kicking things up a notch.

A good example was the little coffee shop at Allene and Avon. You often met people who'd lived in the area for decades.

I agree there are lots of good places up on RDA but it seems like the east and south sides of Adair park have been neglected.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
There are some good non-fast food restaurants over there:
Soul Vegetarian
Murrell's Cafe
Q Time
Check them out during ASA
Don't forget Chanterelle's and New York sandwich shop.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:57 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Oh, come on, cq. Yes, you can grab a cup of coffee at the Chevron at University, but the retail options along Metropolitan and Whitehall are pretty meager. While they don't have to go whole hog and create another Oakhurst or Kirkwood, I seriously doubt the locals would object to kicking things up a notch.

A good example was the little coffee shop at Allene and Avon. You often met people who'd lived in the area for decades.

I agree there are lots of good places up on RDA but it seems like the east and south sides of Adair park have been neglected.
https://www.640westatl.com/
You are saying that what is currently there, that has provided for the current community isn't good enough. But those people moving in should embrace what is currently there and not want to force them out for more expensive places that long time residents cannot afford. We have seen this same thing happen all over Atlanta, let's make the West End the exception to the rule and show that longtime and newcomers can exist together.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:10 AM

371 posts, read 456,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Don't forget Chanterelle's and New York sandwich shop.

Also Tassili's Raw Reality!
West End & surrounding areas have some really cool spots for vegan/holistic/spiritual types. I'd hope that the new folks moving into the neighborhood are willing to check out the existing hangouts. I love coming to Tassili's for a healthy snack or smoothie with hip folks from the neighborhood. I try to visit whenever I can. Would hate to see these places go away.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
You are saying that what is currently there, that has provided for the current community isn't good enough. But those people moving in should embrace what is currently there and not want to force them out for more expensive places that long time residents cannot afford. We have seen this same thing happen all over Atlanta, let's make the West End the exception to the rule and show that longtime and newcomers can exist together.
Yes, I am saying the current retail options could definitely be improved. I'd wager that most local residents would agree. They don't have to be more expensive or force anybody out.

From what I'm told plenty of newcomers like the Big Bear just fine. But what's wrong with having some more options?

And why not a locally owned coffee shop or two? The one I mentioned on Allene was very popular with the locals. Those are great places for people to gather and talk about the community.

The neighborhood might not like it, but personally it seems to me that a little spot right on one of the parks might be a pleasant gathering place and a benefit to the community. Make it dog friendly and have some outdoor dining options.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuiOui View Post
Also Tassili's Raw Reality!
West End & surrounding areas have some really cool spots for vegan/holistic/spiritual types. I'd hope that the new folks moving into the neighborhood are willing to check out the existing hangouts. I love coming to Tassili's for a healthy snack or smoothie with hip folks from the neighborhood. I try to visit whenever I can. Would hate to see these places go away.
Totally agree.

Old 03-27-2017, 01:28 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,321,111 times
Quote:
If you want longtime residents and newcomers to coexist together, then there shouldn't be any issue with new businesses to cater to the new residents as well. You can't have a peaceful community if the new residents feel like they aren't allowed to bring in any better or more expensive options because the original residents couldn't afford it. You can't expect newer residents to drink gas station coffee because a high end coffee shop and roaster is too "upscale", nor should new residents be forced to drive across town to sprouts or trader Joe's because having that in their own community is unfair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta