Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2017, 02:40 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,292,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanmichael View Post

We have a president who can't even get executive orders working b/c Obama appointed judges seem to think they have jurisdiction over all of the US.
You mean like the Seattle judge, James Robart, who was the first to block Trump's immigration order and was appointed by George W. Bush?

Old 04-04-2017, 02:42 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,259,585 times
Quote:
Your party welcomes people illegally into this country yet who pays for their healthcare? Education? Food? I have no issues w/people coming to this country legally but illegally is wrong.
We could eliminate illegal immigration overnight if we wanted to, by just legalizing immigration.

If you live in crime-ridden Honduras and you want to come to the U.S. in order to work hard as a roofer for a few months in order to feed and clothe your children, the way it should work is that you just drive up to the border, we do a quick Interpol-type check on you (maybe a couple hours of processing), then if it appears you're not a criminal, we hand you a work visa right then and there, and you go on about your business, and voila, you're now in the country legally. If you break any laws here, we kick you right out and you can't come back. And obviously citizenship would be a much longer process. But that also should be a lot easier than it is now.

And then as far as the not paying income taxes thing, there are different strategies we could take on that. One would be to try to collect some form of income taxes from them somehow or other (perhaps at the border when leaving, or some other way). And the other, probably better strategy, would be for us to just get rid of the income tax entirely, and have our tax system be based on around consumption/national sales tax. And road tolls and whatnot. Then everybody physically here would be physically forced to contribute their share of taxes.

And as far as fear of terrorists coming in, almost all of the terrorism in this country has been perpetrated by American natural-born citizens, or in some cases by legal immigrants. 99% of the people coming in from Mexico and Central America are just here to make money and not hurt anybody.

Old 04-04-2017, 02:55 PM

3,159 posts, read 2,209,438 times
We'll see who makes it to the runoff among the Republican contenders, but I think Democrats are going to be disappointed when Ossoff ends up defeated in June. The 6th is fundamentally a red district, and even with Trump massively under-performing the Republican baseline, he still carried it last year. The majority of the district's voters prioritize low taxes, law and order and smaller government. This may not align perfectly with Donald Trump's amorphous stances, but it's a better fit for the Republican party in Congress.

Democrats should consider it an acceptable outcome if Ossoff loses by single digits. That would be an improvement over how Price's past opponents performed.

Old 04-04-2017, 02:58 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,320,649 times
Quote:
The GOP has gone insane? The democrats are insane (filibustering just because? Makes no sense. They act like spoiled children who can't accept things are going to change). I actually support our military b/c without it we are vunerable to attacks. Domestic programs? Like what? The ones where my tax money pays for people not to work? Or an extension of medicaid and more handouts? When does it stop? When the tax rate is 50%? I find it ironic that most of my democratic friends use the private school system, send their kids to the best schools, yet they are all for "diversity" and public education. Your party welcomes people illegally into this country yet who pays for their healthcare? Education? Food? I have no issues w/people coming to this country legally but illegally is wrong. When I watch the news it seems the democratic party has made it "us vs them" and if we disagree with these viewpoints we are attacked.

In theory, democratic nominees love to say they are going to help yet most of them live the life of the 1% (Pelosi, Clinton, Obama). This 30 year old knows nothing - he is simply running in an election and hopes to win because people are angry and think he can make waves and change things. It's obvious that politics don't work that way. We have a president who can't even get executive orders working b/c Obama appointed judges seem to think they have jurisdiction over all of the US.

I do not care who you vote for, but don't criticize my thinking for whom I choose to vote. In summary, when I meet an actual democrat who lives the way they preach maybe I will change my mind but I have yet to meet one who is not hypocritical.
This is such a level of Fox News and Brietbart brainwashing that I can't even begin to formulate a response. Too far gone. I will only say that I hope you start reading outside news sources and some studies/information that doesn't come from the alt-right. The fact that you call investing in domestic programs "paying for people not to work" is laughable. This is exhibit A as to why the the United States, the richest in country in the world, ranks dead last on almost every metric compared to other industrialized nations. The GOP has brainwashed half the population into voting against their own interests by using straw men like the "person who doesn't want to work". Very heartbreaking.

Old 04-04-2017, 03:01 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,259,585 times
If a 30-year-old Democrat loses by only a few digits in the north suburbs, that's a huge victory. And he's got tons of elections left in him obviously, so eventually he should win.

Unless they further gerrymander the district or something. But even still, the demographics are just simply changing.

Old 04-04-2017, 03:34 PM

770 posts, read 603,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
If a 30-year-old Democrat loses by only a few digits in the north suburbs, that's a huge victory. And he's got tons of elections left in him obviously, so eventually he should win.

Unless they further gerrymander the district or something. But even still, the demographics are just simply changing.
There was something in the past couple weeks, where they were going to gerrymander GA again.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate...rrymander.html

Old 04-04-2017, 03:35 PM

770 posts, read 603,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Don't let perfect be the enemy of good.
I agree, actually I think don't let perfect even be the enemy of decent or better.

Old 04-04-2017, 04:16 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,643,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiehaven View Post
There was something in the past couple weeks, where they were going to gerrymander GA again.

Georgia Republicans pass racial gerrymander.
Great article and this shows us why Democrats never win in this state. The Republicans are too busy discriminating against us black voters who vote democratic. This should be illegal but with the current administration in office, I doubt this will ever be looked into or rectified. I am ashamed that I live in such a vile state where Repubs are allowed to cheat just to stay in power. This is unacceptable behavior.

Old 04-04-2017, 04:18 PM

1,054 posts, read 922,082 times
You do realize majority black districts are gerrymandered too right?.

Your minority representatives are complicit too. It's white Democrats who have lost seats.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:18 PM

23,461 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondInfinity View Post
Great article and this shows us why Democrats never win in this state. The Republicans are too busy discriminating against us black voters who vote democratic. This should be illegal but with the current administration in office, I doubt this will ever be looked into or rectified. I am ashamed that I live in such a vile state where Repubs are allowed to cheat just to stay in power. This is unacceptable behavior.
But totally acceptable when Democrats engage in it.

The underrated(and short lived) Democratic gerrymander of Georgia in 2002
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta