Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2017, 05:25 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,485,338 times

Advertisements

Oh yeah, this is the news story from CBS Radio on Handel's last minute cancellation last Friday at Turner Chapel AME Church in Marietta.

Karen Handel A No Show At 6th District Forum « CBS Atlanta

Old 06-07-2017, 06:04 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,063,396 times
Glibness has the same appearance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
Ossoff answered the questions concisely and to the point,....

Old 06-07-2017, 07:06 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,063,396 times
Your post is a good example of glibness. Secretary Handel did not cancel at the last minute as you say. As a matter of fact, the Handel campaign has been specifically referenced in a couple of AJC articles as agreeing to certain debates.

from May 15 A debate standoff in Georgia

Quote:
Fast-forward to Monday morning, when Ossoff said he has “confirmed” three debates: One with CBS-46, one with WSB-TV and a third hosted by the Dunwoody Homeowners Association.

Except that Dyana Bagby of Reporter Newspapers wrote last night that Handel had declined to attend the May 21 debate with the Dunwoody group.

Handel campaign spokesman Charlie Harper said the campaign is continuing to vet debate invitations and will soon release a debate schedule.

from May 31 Handel, Ossoff in debate over debates for 6th Congressional District - Reporter Newspapers

Quote:
In the release, Handel says she will agree to debate Ossoff on June 6 on WSB TV; on June 8 on WABE/PBA 30; at the CNN/Atlanta Press Club on June 13; and WSB Radio on June 15.
The debate you reference in your post was never acknowledged as being agreed to. So, this is shoddy reporting at best and the Pastor Sabrina McKenzie clearly withheld information about the declination, though there have been at least two media reports since Mid-May about which debate invitations both Mr Ossoff and Ms Handel would accept.

Then Pastor McKenzie engaged in partisan vote mongering.
from your linked article

Quote:
The crowd was visibly agitated and openly voiced their dismay with Handel’s absence, which was not revealed until the beginning of the forum. According to Pastor Sabrina McKenzie, Handel declined to attend the event because “her schedule did not permit.” McKenzie emphatically shouted, “Remember this at the polls!”
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
Oh yeah, this is the news story from CBS Radio on Handel's last minute cancellation last Friday at Turner Chapel AME Church in Marietta.

Karen Handel A No Show At 6th District Forum « CBS Atlanta

Old 06-07-2017, 07:13 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,034,444 times
Listen. Ossoff's tie is too wide and Handel should have worn a button down under her blazer PLUS her flag pin is crooked.

The fashion police should put them both on probation.

Old 06-07-2017, 07:34 AM

859 posts, read 2,120,113 times
Thoughts on the Debate: Handel showed more passion but at times seemed very condescending. Ossoff gave more specifics to policy questions but was too stiff and robotic. If Ossoff showed more energy I would say he won the debate in a landslide but since he didn't IMO I think many viewers may have called this debate a draw.

Ossoff had substance but no style, Handel had (for some) style but no substance. Which will voters remember more? I think even with Handel saying she does not support a livable wage, (I'll give her the BOTD and say it was a gaffe) that won't be a big deal for the 6th and that many will come away remembering the energy and passion she showed, and think of that as a positive.

I hope I'm wrong in my assumption about voters and that people vote Ossoff in, but I'm not confident enough that his huge support in April will show up this time around. It's going to be a tight race.

Old 06-07-2017, 07:47 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidster View Post
Ossoff a misogynist

So I take it you're not a Karen Handel supporter. Because if so, your response makes sense.
LOL, that says it all. How rich.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:40 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
Thoughts on the Debate: Handel showed more passion but at times seemed very condescending. Ossoff gave more specifics to policy questions but was too stiff and robotic. If Ossoff showed more energy I would say he won the debate in a landslide but since he didn't IMO I think many viewers may have called this debate a draw.

Ossoff had substance but no style, Handel had (for some) style but no substance. Which will voters remember more? I think even with Handel saying she does not support a livable wage, (I'll give her the BOTD and say it was a gaffe) that won't be a big deal for the 6th and that many will come away remembering the energy and passion she showed, and think of that as a positive.

I hope I'm wrong in my assumption about voters and that people vote Ossoff in, but I'm not confident enough that his huge support in April will show up this time around. It's going to be a tight race.
Clearly, many many voters care little about substance... A shame, really.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:46 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Clearly, many many voters care little about substance... A shame, really.
Well given the voting patterns in the northern Atlanta 'burbs during last year's election, I'd say at least half of the voters in the 6th do--which should bode well for Osoff but I think it will be a tossup for sure, barring something extraordinary happening.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:48 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Well given the voting patterns in the northern Atlanta 'burbs during last year's election, I'd say at least half of the voters in the 6th do--which should bode well for Osoff but I think it will be a tossup for sure, barring something extraordinary happening.
Let's hope, then, that the voters in the sixth buck the national trend.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:54 AM

1,189 posts, read 1,162,536 times
#VoterTurnoutMatters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta