Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2017, 03:17 AM

2,515 posts, read 1,874,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I rather think you can make your point without insulting your fellow citizens in their entirety. And I'm not at all sure that the voters of the 6th will regard the sources of his war chest in as positive a light as you do.
Insults are not productive, I agree. As a 6th voter, though, I don't care where the money comes from. We need it to win. I was stuck with Tom Price, the self-dealing charlatan, for far too long. If people in other states want to help make a change in Georgia, bring it on!

Old 04-12-2017, 04:56 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,953,181 times
I live just half a mile outside of District 6, so unfortunately I can't help vote for Ossoff.

Old 04-12-2017, 05:55 AM

815 posts, read 986,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondInfinity View Post
But you are a fan of Trump spending $54 billion more In Defense spending?

I love bringing this up to my staunch fiscal conservative friends. They constantly b*tch and moan about people on food stamps, yet they're always the first people to support feeding the military industrial complex, or giving billions and billions in military aid to our "allies" like Israel. You can't pick and choose when you are a fiscal conservative. You either are or you're not.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:30 AM

2,515 posts, read 1,874,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
I live just half a mile outside of District 6, so unfortunately I can't help vote for Ossoff.
Send good juju thought waves our way!

Old 04-12-2017, 06:57 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,311,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecluder617 View Post
I love bringing this up to my staunch fiscal conservative friends. They constantly b*tch and moan about people on food stamps, yet they're always the first people to support feeding the military industrial complex, or giving billions and billions in military aid to our "allies" like Israel. You can't pick and choose when you are a fiscal conservative. You either are or you're not.
At least investing in social safety nets pays returns. The defense spending is nothing but giving tax payer dollars to the wealthy friends of the GOP who own or have stock in defense companies. There's no need for us to spend SO much money on the military. It's a scam. Yet republicans are okay with THAT spending that we never see any benefits from.

Meanwhile republicans can greatly benefit from social safety net spending. We can ignore for a moment the fact that many republican voters are themselves (especially in rural areas) are on social safety net programs. Even the wealthy republicans who just don't want to pay taxes can benefit. How much are they spending to move to expensive suburbs to avoid crime and poor schools? Create a social safety net and there will be less crime, and schools will improve as well. Those types of selfish republicans focus on the "fairness" of it, and thus they WANT there to be poverty. They don't think it's fair that they had to work hard and others can survive even if unable to work. They want to see them suffer to make themselves feel better. Instead, they should focus on how much better their own cities, states, and even the country as a whole would be if there were social programs to ensure no one falls into severe poverty. That poverty leads to crime, blight, failing schools, etc. If they're willing to pay the money to move to suburbs and avoid this, why not pay to clean it up altogether?

Old 04-12-2017, 07:08 AM

643 posts, read 567,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
At least investing in social safety nets pays returns.
By creating generations of losers dependent on government aid...

Old 04-12-2017, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHonchoATL View Post
By creating generations of losers dependent on government aid...
Because the GOP has brainwashed you to believe that. Is a pregnant woman taking a break a loser? What about when she or her husband want to take time off to raise their kid in the first year? What about someone who is suddenly fired? What about someone who finds themselves with a disability that prevents them from working? What about the single mother who finds that, now that her husband has left her, her minimum wage job pays less than what she has to pay to get childcare, but she can't go back to school because she needs insurance?

Republicans and people like you have created a country where we are always swimming and can't ever stop. Health insurance, food, everything is tied to having a job. And once someone falls behind there's nothing there to help them get their head back over the water because republicans strip them all away.

Think safety nets create losers? Why don't you travel a bit and look at other first world countries and how they operate. They aren't "full of losers" as you seem to claim, but losing your job there doesn't automatically mean a death sentence like it does here. People have the means to take time and get back on their feet, thus they never turn to crime or end up homeless.

I don't know why you act like such a selfish, bitter person, but at the least you could try to be a little more open minded. Politics doesn't have to like a sports team. You could explore both sides of an issues and decide which makes sense, rather than just accepting everything the GOP tells you to, because I assure you neither party has pure motives and only an idiot would take their beliefs as gospel.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:32 AM

643 posts, read 567,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Because the GOP has brainwashed you to believe that. Is a pregnant woman taking a break a loser?
Should've saved in preparation for this life event.

Quote:
What about when she or her husband want to take time off to raise their kid in the first year?
Should've saved in preparation for this life event. If you can't afford kids, don't have them. If you need to downsize your lifestyle to afford it, do it.

Quote:
What about someone who is suddenly fired?
Should've saved in preparation for this life event. If they were smart they would have made themselves marketable so finding another job would not be an issue.

Quote:
What about someone who finds themselves with a disability that prevents them from working?
Should've saved in preparation for this life event. Long term disability insurance exists for a reason.

Quote:
What about the single mother who finds that, now that her husband has left her, her minimum wage job pays less than what she has to pay to get childcare, but she can't go back to school because she needs insurance?
Should've saved in preparation for this life event. Seems to be poor planning to have no plan B in life. All your eggs in the 'my man gunna take care of me' basket is not very smart.

Bad choices in life have consequences. Insulating people from facing the responsibility of poor decisions does not help society out,but only emboldens people to live more foolishly.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHonchoATL View Post
Should've saved in preparation for this life event.

Should've saved in preparation for this life event. If you can't afford kids, don't have them. If you need to downsize your lifestyle to afford it, do it.

Should've saved in preparation for this life event. If they were smart they would have made themselves marketable so finding another job would not be an issue.

Should've saved in preparation for this life event. Long term disability insurance exists for a reason.

Should've saved in preparation for this life event. Seems to be poor planning to have no plan B in life. All your eggs in the 'my man gunna take care of me' basket is not very smart.

Bad choices in life have consequences. Insulating people from facing the responsibility of poor decisions does not help society out,but only emboldens people to live more foolishly.
Your lack of empathy is astounding. Do you truly think everyone can just save vast sums of money? How out of touch are you? How much do you think someone earning minimum wage can save each month and still pay for housing, food, etc? Enough to live completely without government aid if they find themselves jobless suddenly? Get real.

Maybe if they earned more they could...but then again, Republicans not only want people to just "save up", they also fight minimum wage laws to ensure that they can't make enough to do so.

Maybe they could go to school so they can earn more? Nope, republicans fight against free tuition and even affordable student loans as well.

I mean, in all honestly, what the f*ck man? Republicans are literally doing everything they can to create a permanent underclass who can never escape. You can't simultaneously cut all government aid programs while also gutting minimum wage laws and education funding help. That is literally cutting off every single avenue for people not already born with money. That is why we have generational poverty, and high crime, and blight. Surely even you can step back and think critically about that for a second?

Old 04-12-2017, 07:54 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,228,397 times
If everybody saved up the necessary money for "life events" which might or might not happen our entire economy would crater. Then there'd be a far greater need for government services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta