Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2017, 10:45 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Can you name a vote where the Dem house caucus has gone rogue? A member? They have not. It is one of the things I - grudgingly - admire about the Dems. They stay in the yard. If they stray, they get punished. See Tulsi Gabbard (D, HI). OTH, there is something to be said for strong factions within a political party, like say the Freedom Caucus.
Add Zell Miller and Joe Lieberman to that list of 'Prodigal Sons'...they certainly paid a price for stepping out of line...

Old 04-19-2017, 10:55 AM

816 posts, read 994,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
When are other Americans going to learn that the South only lives by one party rule. Was the Democrats till they turned on Civil Rights. Now it is the Republicans cause they thump the bible.

The guy has zero chance to win this seat. Democrats need to ignore the South and move on. No hope for any hint of progressive ideas or anything other than hard right wing Christian politics down there.

Dems need to concentrate on the West, SW, Midwest and Northeast and just ignore the South and write it off as lost forever to people that wouldn't vote for a democrat if said democrat were running against a dog. And that I heard from a woman in Satsuma, AL.

A couple travels down South and you quickly learn just how hard core right wing Christian southerners are.
Although I shared your sentiment before moving down here, the Metro Atlanta area is far from what you're describing. There is a surprisingly large number of liberals and moderates. And with every subdivision being built, or new company moving in, their numbers will just increase. Now I'm sure there are rural parts of this state that are like what you describe, though.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:55 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Clearly you haven't spent much time in North Dekalb, North Fulton, and North Cobb. There aren't many of those types in those areas. It is mostly professional moderate Republicans living there and a growing amount of liberal voters. By the next Presidential election it should go blue given it was only 1 percentage point away last time around.

I don't care how many moderate Repub's there are, those same moderates eventually all got on the Trump train, and they will follow suit and not vote for this Dem. Cue the bible thumping churches and family research council pulling out all the stops on this guy digging for any dirt about he is not "moral" enough and is a liberal pansie, etc.

He has zero chance of winning, and secretly the DNC will admit this.

The South will be red for decades more until you remove the prominent place you all put religion into your lives and politics. How come a Dem can't even win a statewide office down there? Even PA with all our rural areas has a Dem senator and a Dem Gov. When will GA manage that?

Old 04-19-2017, 10:56 AM

1,164 posts, read 1,265,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanmichael View Post
Why don't you look at taxes, cost of living, immigration, etc...NYC and much of southern and northern California metropolitan areas are not affordable to most Americans.
Um. The cost of living is high because so many people want to live there...

As for taxes, we've gotten more empirical evidence on the supply-side argument, as if the Nineties and Aughts weren't enough. Jerry Brown and Sam Brownback took office about the same time. California faced a budget deficit of about $20B in 2011, but recovered and ran surpluses in 2014-17. Deficits in Kansas ballooned even as tax cuts somehow failed to drive economic growth and employment.

As I've said before, I was a supply-sider as an economics student in the Eighties. It was a beautiful theory and made a lot of sense on paper. But George H.W. Bush was right -- it was voodoo -- and reality proved it wrong. The fact that half the country (or more) still believes in voodoo never ceases to amaze me.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:59 AM

3,006 posts, read 2,629,048 times
Quote:
Being married seems to make an honest woman sort of speak vs. "living in sin" (I think it is a hypocritical argument but I know many people who are bothered by it). I agree the multiple marriages of anyone (sans death of a spouse) makes me think the person is not the easiest to get along with. I could care less about his locker room talk. He is arrogant, rich and thinks he is God's gift to women. I don't offended by that stuff b/c I am not a politically correct person.
The greatest spin job of 2016 was the "locker room talk" apology. That wasn't locker room talk. Nobody talks like that in a locker room. People who talk like that are predators, at worst, and misogynists, at best.

Old 04-19-2017, 11:01 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecluder617 View Post
Although I shared your sentiment before moving down here, the Metro Atlanta area is far from what you're describing. There is a surprisingly large number of liberals and moderates. And with every subdivision being built, or new company moving in, their numbers will just increase. Now I'm sure there are rural parts of this state that are like what you describe, though.

Again, where are all the statewide office holders that aren't Republicans? You all couldn't even elect Sam Nunn's daughter, and she was far from a liberal Dem.

The bottom line is Southerners deep down despise the Dem party cause they associate it with the Fed Govt. And it is not a secret they hate the Fed Govt for various historical reasons.

And now even your airport can have open carry. Incredible. GA is deeply red and deeply conservative despite a few little pockets of blue. Even Savannah, where I visited this past Jan, has loads of far right wing types all around the city particularly Wilmington Island, and those other surrounding areas.

Old 04-19-2017, 11:08 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,155,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTiger View Post
Uhh...anyone else seen this?

The biggest liberal state and the most liberal city in New York are trying to buy their way into conservative states once again. Why can't they be satisfied enough with screwing up their own states?
If we would get big money out of politics then this wouldn't be as much of a problem. But most Republicans and some Democrats are opposed to such measures. And you already knew that, didn't you?

Old 04-19-2017, 11:10 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,155,945 times
Quote:
When are democrats going to learn you aren't going to beat trump?
Cute. Now please step aside so the locals who actually know what they're talking about can talk.

Old 04-19-2017, 11:12 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,292,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Even PA with all our rural areas has a Dem senator and a Dem Gov. When will GA manage that?
The '70s, '80s, and '90s. Senators Sam Nunn, Max Cleland; Governors Jimmy Carter, Joe Frank Harris, Zell Miller, Roy Barnes

Old 04-19-2017, 11:18 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,643,924 times
Side note, Fox News is expected to dump Bill O'Reilly before he returns from his "vacation" on April 24th, 2017 (Sources: Fox News Has Decided Bill O).

Karen Handel supports Trump, who supports Bill O'Reilly (https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/05/b...-murdochs.html). Trump called this rapist a "Good Man". What does that say about Trump and Handel?

Please people, do not vote for hypocrites and liars (Handel). She wants Trump to run with her during this Run-Off election (https://www.usnews.com/news/national...noff-vs-ossoff). Send a message to the Repubs that we DO NOT stand with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta