Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2017, 01:03 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,190,769 times

Advertisements

Johns Creek is the crazy anomaly of that map. Everything else follows predictable lines, with the blue along the major highways and along MARTA, and the red in the quieter pockets further away from the highways, with all very wealthy SFH.

Even Cobb is only really red these days in East and West Cobb, and one day in a few decades even those areas will go blue, as Cobb becomes more in-town and most conservatives migrate out to other counties.

But I can't explain why those Johns Creek precincts way up bordering Forsyth County are blue already. Is it because of the Democratic-leaning Jewish community? Or the large Asian community? Are they more Democratic?

Old 04-24-2017, 01:31 PM

37,812 posts, read 41,589,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Johns Creek is the crazy anomaly of that map. Everything else follows predictable lines, with the blue along the major highways and along MARTA, and the red in the quieter pockets further away from the highways, with all very wealthy SFH.

Even Cobb is only really red these days in East and West Cobb, and one day in a few decades even those areas will go blue, as Cobb becomes more in-town and most conservatives migrate out to other counties.

But I can't explain why those Johns Creek precincts way up bordering Forsyth County are blue already. Is it because of the Democratic-leaning Jewish community? Or the large Asian community? Are they more Democratic?
I'm tempted to say it's because of the large Asian community, although I'm not very familiar with that demographic's overall voting patterns.

Old 04-24-2017, 01:32 PM

10,736 posts, read 13,291,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
J
But I can't explain why those Johns Creek precincts way up bordering Forsyth County are blue already.
It's because I have been educating them in my spare time!

Old 04-24-2017, 02:01 PM

23,364 posts, read 43,832,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
It's because I have been educating them in my spare time!
Or maybe you're more representative of the changing demographic there than people thought.
I do see the 6th District race as a bellwether, much like the 2009 Atlanta mayoral race.

Old 04-24-2017, 02:31 PM

376 posts, read 328,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm tempted to say it's because of the large Asian community, although I'm not very familiar with that demographic's overall voting patterns.
It's possible but almost all of the Asian community there is Korean and fairly conservative.

Old 04-24-2017, 02:40 PM

290 posts, read 310,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTravelinMan View Post
It's possible but almost all of the Asian community there is Korean and fairly conservative.

Well just because they have conservative values doesn't mean they vote Republican a la many African Americans

Old 04-24-2017, 02:46 PM

1,054 posts, read 916,260 times
Some are attributing too much in terms of party identification on this vote. There are plenty of conservatives turned off by Trump right now.

Old 04-24-2017, 02:52 PM

37,812 posts, read 41,589,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodean View Post
Some are attributing too much in terms of party identification on this vote. There are plenty of conservatives turned off by Trump right now.
This is true. I mean you had Cobb and Gwinnett go blue in the presidential election.

Old 04-24-2017, 02:58 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,190,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodean View Post
Sure, but this was a vote where the choices were Democrat Jon Ossoff, or any one of a long list of all kinds of Republicans, with varying degrees of Trumpiness. And the majority of people in these areas still chose Ossoff.

So maybe these Johns Creek precincts overall lean Republican, but they're not heavily Republican like East Cobb still is. If they were, they would have voted like East Cobb.

Handel clearly distanced herself from Trump, probably the most out of that pack. She ran as just a traditional conservative. So that was one option on the ballot, and they went with Ossoff.

So I think you're correct, but also there's long term permanent change going on in the suburbs of Atlanta.

Old 04-24-2017, 03:30 PM

376 posts, read 328,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This is true. I mean you had Cobb and Gwinnett go blue in the presidential election.
Cobb and Gwinnett are not monoliths. East Cobb and South Cobb are very different from each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta