Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2017, 08:36 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
My sympathies to all in greater Atlanta but especially in Gwinnett and DeKalb counties. I lived there over five years in the 1990s and visited several times since then, most recently 14 months ago. What is shameful is the lack of mobility expansion since the 1990s. No northern bypass to take interstate travelers away from 285. No MARTA rail expansion since 2000 and that was but a few stations up GA 400. Limited public transportation in Cobb County. Where is all the GDOT transportation money going!? SMH
Those are some excellent points about the lack of expansion in mobility since the 1990's.

Though in all fairness, Georgia state government did try doggedly hard to push through the construction of an Outer Perimeter and then tried to push through the construction of a Northern Arc bypass after being forced to back off by the voters.

The problem was that the Outer Perimeter and Northern Arc bypass proposals proved to be wildly unpopular with the Georgia voting public (particularly in metro Atlanta and North Georgia)....And Georgia state government was forced to abandon the Outer Perimeter/Northern Arc bypass proposals by said angry metro Atlanta/North Georgia voting public.

But for the record, Georgia state government did indeed try and push through the construction of an Outer Perimeter and Northern Arc bypasses but were prevented from doing so by an angry metro Atlanta/North Georgia voting public who rejected the proposals by voting out the government officials who pushed them forward.

Over the first 15 years of the new Millennium, GDOT had been suffering from increasingly acute funding shortages aggravated by diminishing state and federal motor fuel tax returns compounded by the severe economic downturn of the late-2000's and early 2010's. Road funding has ticked up slightly since the Georgia state legislature increased the motor fuel tax in 2015, but transportation funding continues to be a challenge because of limited funding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 08:37 PM

11,803 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
You are wrong plain and simple. Lighting strikes the ground hundreds of times a day all over. It does NOT start huge fires anywhere except mainly wooded areas with a lot of dry brush.
Yes...this totally sounds like an educated fact proven response "you are wrong plain and simple"...I'm wrong because of? any fact or evidence ? Do you even know how lightning works, what it is, what conducts it and why it happens? I will be quite quite quite surprised at this point if you can so much as summarize it.
Sorry but your words are falling on deaf ears, you have no evidence.. I have plenty of it... and dude...please listen to your own logic... If a campfire can ignite PVC...what on gods earth makes you think lightning can't do the same 10 times over..just using common sense here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIv2h9w_Vm8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OuEXSi-8Ig

Should I bother to continue? Until you learn physics, don't bother to attempt to tell me what I do and don't know.

The ground lightning strikes would need to reach a flamable point in order for it to catch (and retain) fire.. PVC has a relatively low flamability point in comparison to the temperature of lightning, the ground around it would not..thus no...lightning cannot engulf the planet is flames...but a small patch of PVC would be cake.

Hopefully by now either you would have caught on..or maybe a bolt of lightning will strike some sense into ya..either way.. no point in continuing this..I'm done.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 04-01-2017 at 09:03 PM..

Old 04-01-2017, 08:47 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
As Interstate 85 will be closed for awhile for repairs and Interstate 285 will be a bottleneck for awhile, will Georgians with intelligent life initiate another movement for the necessity of a fully controlled highway from Interstate 75 to Interstate 85 north of Atlanta?

Old 04-01-2017, 09:07 PM

11,803 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
As Interstate 85 will be closed for awhile for repairs and Interstate 285 will be a bottleneck for awhile, will Georgians with intelligent life initiate another movement for the necessity of a fully controlled highway from Interstate 75 to Interstate 85 north of Atlanta?
Do you mean the Northern Arc? As much as I really want this - I dont think it would help much in this circumstance.

Old 04-01-2017, 09:07 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Quote:
Probably not because no politicians seem to be willing to back the construction of such a road because of the extreme political liability of backing such a road construction proposal that appears to be so unpopular with the voting public.

(...See what happened to former Georgia governor Roy Barnes and the Democrats after backing the road in 2002 and see what happened to the T-SPLOST referendum in 2012 after rumors spread like wildfire that the effort was really just a secret way to fund the resurrection of the Outer Perimeter/Northern Arc proposal.)

Old 04-01-2017, 09:15 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,903,148 times
3 in Custody After Fire Leads to Bridge Collapse in Atlanta | KTLA

Old 04-01-2017, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Do you mean the Northern Arc? As much as I really want this - I dont think it would help much in this circumstance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Probably not because no politicians seem to be willing to back the construction of such a road because of the extreme political liability of backing such a road construction proposal that appears to be so unpopular with the voting public.

(...See what happened to former Georgia governor Roy Barnes and the Democrats after backing the road in 2002 and see what happened to the T-SPLOST referendum in 2012 after rumors spread like wildfire that the effort was really just a secret way to fund the resurrection of the Outer Perimeter/Northern Arc proposal.)
Until Georgians decide to become educated in transportation necessities, they get to enjoy traffic problems associated with the bridge collapse.

Old 04-01-2017, 09:28 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times
Quote:
Until Georgians decide to become educated in transportation necessities, they get to enjoy traffic problems associated with the bridge collapse.
So I'm guessing you want us to lobby the General Assembly/GDOT to build more freeways that will displace thousands of homes. Great idea.

Old 04-01-2017, 09:40 PM

No, Georgia needs to improve its transportation network now or watch it get worse later.

Old 04-01-2017, 09:47 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times
Quote:
No, Georgia needs to improve its transportation network now or watch it get worse later.
Uh, that's not what you said here:

Quote:
Do you think this can be done without displacing a lot of people (which was one of the reasons why the Northern Arc was canned)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta