Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2017, 06:00 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,732,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
So any commuters have traffic updates?

This is just another example of why living 35+ miles from your workplace is silly. Not sure why some people want to add 2 hours to their workday sitting in the car even without bridge collapse traffic.
Morning will not be as bad because generally Friday morning traffic is lighter than normal plus lots of people just said f it and took today off after what happened on yesterday. The real update will be this afternoon when its time for the Braves game
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 06:02 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,313,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
Morning will not be as bad because generally Friday morning traffic is lighter than normal plus lots of people just said f it and took today off after what happened on yesterday. The real update will be this afternoon when its time for the Braves game
Got it. I don't use highways for my commute so I have no idea about patterns. Hopefully this doesn't spill into the surface streets of eastern Atlanta/Decatur. I imagine it's far enough away.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:31 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,732,438 times
DOT just said both portions of 85 will have to be rebuilt

Old 03-31-2017, 06:34 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,762,214 times
So glad to see no one was hurt with this! Was shocked to see how huge the fire was. I had a few Gwinnett friends and family stuck in the traffic mess, took them hours to get home.

On repairs, I'm actually pretty sure that they will fast track the fix and it probably will only take a month, maybe less with incentives as long as everything is structurally sound. Honestly one of the good things about Atlanta and GDOT is that it takes much less time to fix roads/freeways there than in other parts of the country. I've done some project management for roads and metro Atlanta was one of the quickest working places that I've worked at due to them providing incentives to finish early and working 24 hours a day on major projects and weekends. Other places around the country don't always do that but it is routine in GA.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:41 AM

654 posts, read 521,809 times
It takes a month just for the concrete to cure. Cannot fast track science, yo.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:54 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,550,395 times
I left my office about 6.30pm yesterday, and could see a smoke plume from where I was down towards Emory Johns Creek area. As I kept going down 141, I never seemed to be getting closer to wherever the smoke was coming from. I wasn't listening to local radio, but I knew something big was happening. Wasn't until I got home that I saw on TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
I lived in Connecticut when the Mianus River Bridge on I-95 collapsed in 1983. I-95 -- the main artery through NYC and up into New England, and a MAJOR commuting artery for people driving from Fairfield County into NYC, or driving to catch the train to NYC..
I was only 7 years old at the time, but I remember that vividly. I grew up 30 miles up the road from there. My sister and I were terrified to even ride over the metal-grate Sikorsky Bridge on the Merritt.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:06 AM

134 posts, read 187,358 times
As the fallout from this event continues I believe it willl shine a light on the many quality of life fails in Atlanta. People living absurd distances from their places of work, aging road infrastructure, terrible decision making (storing flammables under a major highway), how close this city actually is to total gridlock, a total lack of usable transit to take up the slack, the racism inherent in counties like Gwinnett voting against MARTA: whose residents will now bear the brunt of commuting without I-85, etc. This next month will be interesting.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:24 AM

31,997 posts, read 36,601,808 times
The closing of a huge highway like this affects the whole metro.

There are lot of folks in COA and DeKalb and on the south and west sides who use 85 to commute up to Gwinnett and points beyond.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:33 AM

597 posts, read 660,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
So glad to see no one was hurt with this! Was shocked to see how huge the fire was. I had a few Gwinnett friends and family stuck in the traffic mess, took them hours to get home.

On repairs, I'm actually pretty sure that they will fast track the fix and it probably will only take a month, maybe less with incentives as long as everything is structurally sound. Honestly one of the good things about Atlanta and GDOT is that it takes much less time to fix roads/freeways there than in other parts of the country. I've done some project management for roads and metro Atlanta was one of the quickest working places that I've worked at due to them providing incentives to finish early and working 24 hours a day on major projects and weekends. Other places around the country don't always do that but it is routine in GA.

I honestly think "fast track" would be four months (or possibly more). As I said upthread, it's not simply rebuilding it - they know how how to do that. It's all the preliminary investigation, reports, communication between federal and state agencies, etc. Since it's such an important slice of the highway system in Atlanta, no doubt they will fast track it. But, it's gonna be more than a month.

Last edited by goillini8; 03-31-2017 at 08:20 AM..

Old 03-31-2017, 07:38 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,489,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -thomass View Post
Massive flames. Looks almost like an earthquake. Wow
I dont think its as bad as the media is making out to be. At least it happened on a Thursday evening and not a Sunday night. The situation does point to a lot of problems of the Connector 85 75 20 & 400 being life or death of us getting around the city. Maybe its just Braves karma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta