Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 09:37 AM

761 posts, read 907,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by col127 View Post
Thanks for the info PTC DAD!

We are looking in east Mableton - Providence area - not sure if the crime is any different there. Yes safety is my number one priority . I don't ever want to be somewhere when I have to be concerned that I could get mugged, etc. I do really like the homes in Mableton which is why I'm trying to know what it's like.
Providence is a nice neighborhood & is directly across from the Publix shopping center & convenient to Vinnings. I think Mableton is getting some of the spill over development from Vinnings & Smyrna which should help home values. Your commute from there should be a breeze as well. My only concern would be the schools. They are not very highly rated which may impact future resale values; however, the area seems to be on the uptick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 07:24 AM

147 posts, read 216,100 times
I am also looking at Mableton. Specifically the new gated division of Providence across from the Publix. My husband and I currently rent a home in Smyrna in one of the most high priced locations. While we like the area the price of homes are so inflated its ridiculous. The same home in the Providence community literally just sold across the street from me for over 500k. My concern with Mableton is safety, but the community is gated so I'm assuming its ok. I would like to talk to someone that lives in the The Preserve at Providence. I would also like to know the demographics of the area. We would like a diverse area. We moved from DC which was pretty diverse to Smyrna which really has not been diverse thus far in race or age. We are late 20s to early 30 African Americans and have seen very very few people that look like us or our age. Do you think the people that move to Mableton are older? Our commutes are to downtown and midtown. Would that be a problem from this area?

Old 08-21-2017, 06:38 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,362,619 times
The "less desirable" areas of Mableton are definitely closer to US 78 West/Bankhead Highway/Veterans Parkway/ Hollowell Parkway (all the same road, different names depending on jurisdiction) This is the main road that crosses the Chattahoochee River coming from a few troubled communities on Atlanta's west side. That said, with its proximity to Vinings, western reaches of Atlanta's Buckhead community and with the upward trajectory many west side communities are said to be on, even "Bankhead in Cobb" may be in for a resurgence as well.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:49 PM

16,702 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
The "less desirable" areas of Mableton are definitely closer to US 78 West/Bankhead Highway/Veterans Parkway/ Hollowell Parkway (all the same road, different names depending on jurisdiction) This is the main road that crosses the Chattahoochee River coming from a few troubled communities on Atlanta's west side. That said, with its proximity to Vinings, western reaches of Atlanta's Buckhead community and with the upward trajectory many west side communities are said to be on, even "Bankhead in Cobb" may be in for a resurgence as well.
The areas in, on, and around US 78 in Mableton are actually desirable and on-the-rise. It is Mableton south of US 78 down along Mableton Parkway that is seen as "less desirable." But even South Mableton is on the up and up...because it is just too damn well-located!

Old 08-22-2017, 08:41 AM

1,151 posts, read 1,309,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquestar06 View Post
I am also looking at Mableton. Specifically the new gated division of Providence across from the Publix. My husband and I currently rent a home in Smyrna in one of the most high priced locations. While we like the area the price of homes are so inflated its ridiculous. The same home in the Providence community literally just sold across the street from me for over 500k. My concern with Mableton is safety, but the community is gated so I'm assuming its ok. I would like to talk to someone that lives in the The Preserve at Providence. I would also like to know the demographics of the area. We would like a diverse area. We moved from DC which was pretty diverse to Smyrna which really has not been diverse thus far in race or age. We are late 20s to early 30 African Americans and have seen very very few people that look like us or our age. Do you think the people that move to Mableton are older? Our commutes are to downtown and midtown. Would that be a problem from this area?
I don't know your price range but if you want diverse suburbs with cheap homes and good schools without a terrible commute intown I would suggest the areas around Norcorss and Tucker. I thought Mableton had a high black population because Lil Yachty is from there, but maybe not.

Last edited by bhammaster; 08-22-2017 at 09:15 AM..

Old 08-22-2017, 10:00 AM

1,189 posts, read 1,163,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquestar06 View Post
... I would like to talk to someone that lives in the The Preserve at Providence.
Call me old school but how about knocking on some doors/ringing doorbells...?

You could always pretend you're one of those jojoba witnesses if popo comes.

Good luck.

Old 08-23-2017, 08:32 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,101,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Ok seriously though, where are the "bad" areas in Mableton???? I must be missing them.
Aren't Six Flags Dr and Babyland both in Mableton? Those are both hoods, ain't no sugar coating that one. True Mableton may have some nicer areas but it also has some trapped out ratchet areas full of gangs just like areas in the city. South Cobb is the new Westside. To act like it's all 100% nice is fake news. It's no secret that the poor people getting pushed out of the city are moving out there. IMO the outlook for that area in 10-20 years isn't good. Hate me now but those are facts.

Old 08-23-2017, 08:42 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,101,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammaster View Post
I don't know your price range but if you want diverse suburbs with cheap homes and good schools without a terrible commute intown I would suggest the areas around Norcorss and Tucker. I thought Mableton had a high black population because Lil Yachty is from there, but maybe not.
He went to Pebblebrook, which is a Black school, been that way for a while now. And I guarantee you most of the people in here saying these things about Mableton probably live in a half mile radius of each other in between Oakdale and that Publix out there. Mableton is a whole lot bigger than that, the parts of Mableton I've been in don't look like those areas LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta