Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 09:35 AM
bu2 bu2 started this thread

24,103 posts, read 14,885,315 times

Advertisements

CHOA faces questions about planned expansion in Brookhaven - Reporter Newspapers

More on CHOA plans. Nice map showing property ownership in the area. Looks like an 8 year process to move the hospital.

"...One fix CHOA is proposing to alleviate traffic is to add four lanes under the interstate overpass leading into the proposed new development south of Cliff Valley Way. CHOA representatives said the plan is receiving support from the Georgia Department of Transportation.
There now are only U-turns allowed under the bridge. A bike/pedestrian path leading to the Peachtree Creek Greenway would also be included and as part of the master plan, Galloway said, the area would become a more park-like setting.
CHOA also recently purchased Executive Park apartments on Briarcliff Road because the land became available and that property is also part of the master plan, Galloway said. The apartments have tenants who will soon move out and then the buildings will be demolished and replaced with an empty lot. The area could possibly be used as an access to the hospital campus, Galloway said, drawing groans from some people in attendance.
Funding for the traffic improvements is also being discussed by CHOA officials. Galloway said CHOA is looking at potentially resurrecting a tax allocation district, or TAD, for the area. A decade ago, DeKalb County formed a TAD in the area, and about $200,000 raised then remains in the bank, Galloway said. A TAD raises funds from rising property tax assessments.
CHOA also is considering trying to form a community improvement district, in which commercial landowners agree to tax themselves for improvements, Galloway said. Funding the improvements has been a concern for many residents because CHOA and Emory are nonprofit hospitals, so they do not pay property taxes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2017, 09:51 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
...One fix CHOA is proposing to alleviate traffic is to add four lanes under the interstate overpass leading into the proposed new development south of Cliff Valley Way. CHOA representatives said the plan is receiving support from the Georgia Department of Transportation.
It really is amazing how much space is under this overpass.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:31 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Looks like Emory is gobbling up everything it can get its hands on.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:06 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Looks like Emory is gobbling up everything it can get its hands on.
How will this effect the tax digest of Brookhaven is non-profits are buying up land that could generate property taxes?

Old 05-01-2017, 11:07 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,694,141 times
I wish we'd put stores and stuff under there. It works out in other parts of the world, and I don't see why it couldn't here.

Well... maybe not here specifically, or perhaps if the access roads weren't such a development killer / pedestrian barrier...

Old 05-01-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
How will this effect the tax digest of Brookhaven is non-profits are buying up land that could generate property taxes?
That's a darn good question, cq. Unless Brookhaven has some magic dollar generator, they shouldn't be annexing anything that isn't at least revenue neutral.

At least that's my opinion. I don't live there so I guess they can do what their taxpayers want.

Old 05-01-2017, 11:43 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
That's a darn good question, cq. Unless Brookhaven has some magic dollar generator, they shouldn't be annexing anything that isn't at least revenue neutral.

At least that's my opinion. I don't live there so I guess they can do what their taxpayers want.
But adding more mixed-use developments near MARTA stations would generate property and business taxes.

Old 05-01-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
But adding more mixed-use developments near MARTA stations would generate property and business taxes.
That's a separate issue from annexation, isn't it?

Old 05-01-2017, 01:33 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,694,141 times
Quote:
That's a separate issue from annexation, isn't it?
What happens to all those areas that aren't "revenue neutral"? Are they just supposed to deal with being left behind, or perhaps form their own financially unsustainable city?

Old 05-01-2017, 05:04 PM
bu2 bu2 started this thread

24,103 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:

They made some type of deal with CHOA. Don't remember the details.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta