Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 11:24 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Hence a sentiment by many that the move to Cobb was win for the Braves, the fans, and the CoA. Whether it was a win for Cobb remains up for debate.
Not sure how you could think this is a win for fans unless you think all fans live in the NW suburbs like the Liberty Media likes to portray. And Braves now have their legacy tied with Cobb. Liberty Media will likely cash out in a few years and the Braves will be stuck at this location with less attendance.

Everybody would have been better off including the fans, Braves, city, and Cobb if the Braves had stayed at Turner and let the developers redevelop the area. The fans would have had a more central location with transit access and a better redevelopment than "the battery", the Braves would not be polarizing to metro Atlanta and have higher attendance, CoA would have got similar development as it is getting now with Carter, and Cobb would not be out $400M tax dollars and would have seen comparable development happen in Cumberland anyways. Probably more if they had redirected those funds to something useful like transit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 11:49 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Everybody would have been better off including the fans, Braves, city, and Cobb if the Braves had stayed at Turner and let the developers redevelop the area.
Why would I be better off by having the stadium 10 miles further away? I can walk to the stadium.

I think you're confusing "everybody" with "you".

Quote:
with transit access
STP has basically the same pitiful bus shuttle transit service as Turner had. They're getting 1% transit usage, and Turner had 5%. Big F'ing whoop. Everybody drives everywhere in this town. Especially when they live in the exurbs or in Alabama or the Carolinas, like a lot of Braves fans.

Quote:
and a better redevelopment than "the battery"
That sea of parking lots that they had during their 20 year stay there? What are you even talking about?

Quote:
the Braves would not be polarizing to metro Atlanta
No, YOU are the polarizer. YOU are the problem around here. People like you, with your constantly divisive and bitter attitude.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:59 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times
Prime,

If you think I am the only one in metro Atlanta unhappy with this move, think the transit is equal between STP and Turner, and don't realize that the Braves could have been playing in a redeveloped Turner Field like this if it wasn't for Liberty Media's insistence on being given full control and ownership of the surrounding property / development for free (in addition to millions in other tax-payer handouts), I can't help you.

Last edited by jsvh; 05-27-2017 at 12:24 AM..

Old 05-27-2017, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
If you think I am the only one in metro Atlanta unhappy with this move,
Which I don't.

I'm deeply sorry for your loss, though. Sorry the Braves moved less than half the distance of my morning commute, and that you and others refuse to go to a game now. But, honestly, if you're a supposed fan, then they don't need "fans" like you. The Braves are probably better off without you and your bratty ilk.

Also since you keep saying "good riddance" and how much better off things are now with the team out of your hair, since you simultaneously seem happy with the move, then I guess I will congratulate you as well. Now they are in a different geographical spot in the same Atlanta. Wow. Congrats, my condolences, or whatever it is you're going through.

Quote:
think the transit is equal between STP and Turner
I don't think that.

Quote:
and don't realize that the Braves could have been playing in a redeveloped Turner Field like this if it wasn't for Liberty Media's insistence on being given full control and ownership,
We've already agreed on this point, literally over 10 times now. Liberty Media surely is heavily to blame for what could have been but wasn't, at Turner. They suck. OK. We've made that point so many times.

Quote:
I can't help you.
I'm not the one that clearly needs help, here. You are obsessed. You're like a stalker ex. The Braves should probably look into getting a restraining order against you.

And you hate Cobb. Fine, go ahead. It's understandable.

I like Cobb. I have my problems with the county and also really like a lot about it here. I like my location and this area. I do not regret moving here.

I'm excited about all this development going on, and I'm glad to have the stadium and its nice attached development so nearby. Going to try to make the most of it and enjoy it best I can, despite yours or others bitterness and constant attacks. I didn't make any of these decisions, nor was the stadium a factor in my moving to this area, but I'll take it.

Old 05-27-2017, 12:42 AM

Also, I love that rendering, and am super jazzed for the redevelopment of Summerhill. Hope it all ends up looking like that. Can't wait to go there and check it out. The core city is getting a great win.

Old 05-27-2017, 05:45 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Why would I be better off by having the stadium 10 miles further away? I can walk to the stadium.

I think you're confusing "everybody" with "you".

STP has basically the same pitiful bus shuttle transit service as Turner had. They're getting 1% transit usage, and Turner had 5%. Big F'ing whoop. Everybody drives everywhere in this town. Especially when they live in the exurbs or in Alabama or the Carolinas, like a lot of Braves fans.

That sea of parking lots that they had during their 20 year stay there? What are you even talking about?

No, YOU are the polarizer. YOU are the problem around here. People like you, with your constantly divisive and bitter attitude.
MARTA braves shuttle was packed and had dedicated lanes in the most congested areas. It was free to transfer from rail to bus. It went from rail station to stadium, not a circulator route.

Old 05-27-2017, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
MARTA braves shuttle was packed and had dedicated lanes in the most congested areas. It was free to transfer from rail to bus. It went from rail station to stadium, not a circulator route.
Yeah, and that's why they're not equally bad. The transit solution at the Ted was a bit better, though it was far from ideal. It was unfortunate (and so stupid) to have that awesome MARTA rail in the city but not locate your stadium next to a stop.

Anyway, it's possible STP could have much the same thing within a decade or whatever, if the area gets commuter rail. As yet TBD. But I'm sure there will be some kind of transit improvement over the years.

Old 05-27-2017, 07:59 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Yeah, and that's why they're not equally bad. The transit solution at the Ted was a bit better, though it was far from ideal. It was unfortunate (and so stupid) to have that awesome MARTA rail in the city but not locate your stadium next to a stop.

Anyway, it's possible STP could have much the same thing within a decade or whatever, if the area gets commuter rail. As yet TBD. But I'm sure there will be some kind of transit improvement over the years.
Not likely when Cobb's appointment on the state transit commission is Bob Ott.

Old 05-27-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Not likely when Cobb's appointment on the state transit commission is Bob Ott.
Bob Ott is pro-rail. He's the one who's been pushing the commuter rail along the W & A.

It remains to be seen whether he's pro-MARTA, but he's the commissioner of Cumberland and its pro-MARTA business interests. Hopefully they're whispering in his ear.

Anyway, he's only one of 17 members on that board.

Old 05-27-2017, 08:36 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
All I can say is that it's much easier to get to and from the new Braves stadium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta