Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2017, 12:22 PM

32,006 posts, read 36,637,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodean View Post
It should end.
$82 a fan seems like a lot. That's probably well over ten Uber rides.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:12 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,211,766 times
The area needs a mass transit connection (probably commuter rail), to both Atlanta and further out suburbs in Cobb and beyond. Then it just needs a free shuttle bus from that station, to the Braves. Unless the station is placed at the Galleria, in which case fans can just walk across the new bridge.

If not regional commuter rail, then at least an LRT or BRT system from Arts Center to the Galleria. And then in addition to a Braves shuttle, other large employers in the area can also have their own free shuttles to the transit station during the week, if not already in walking distance from it.

So simple... yet apparently it's so freaking difficult. I just don't get it.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:23 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,777,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
The area needs a mass transit connection (probably commuter rail), to both Atlanta and further out suburbs in Cobb and beyond. Then it just needs a free shuttle bus from that station, to the Braves. Unless the station is placed at the Galleria, in which case fans can just walk across the new bridge.

If not regional commuter rail, then at least an LRT or BRT system from Arts Center to the Galleria. And then in addition to a Braves shuttle, other large employers in the area can also have their own free shuttles to the transit station during the week, if not already in walking distance from it.

Funding and the balkanization of local governments is to blame. If the State of Georgia really wanted to do something, they could via SRTA.

Old 08-22-2017, 02:09 PM

1,500 posts, read 5,088,658 times
Quote:

Or what about BRT from Medical Center station? It's only 8.3 miles from the stadium, even
closer than Arts Center.

Old 08-22-2017, 02:36 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,777,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
Or what about BRT from Medical Center station? It's only 8.3 miles from the stadium, even
closer than Arts Center.
285 does not have HOV lanes, while I-75 between Midtown and Akers Mill does. Also, Arts Center allows BRT to connect to 2 train lines, while Medical Center only has 1.

Old 08-22-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
closer than Arts Center.
Because the Red Line is pretty useless, from my experience. I used to live next to Medical Center station, service was so bad it was better to just drive down to Lindbergh to ride MARTA.

And because that's going way out of the way, if you're trying to get to Midtown/Downtown/Airport, which are the primary MARTA destinations and reasons for its existence.

I'm not saying that top-end link shouldn't happen, but the Midtown->Cumberland link (or Downtown->Cumberland or Lindbergh->Cumberland) should be the first priority.

Old 08-23-2017, 08:12 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,135,190 times
Quote:
Because the Red Line is pretty useless, from my experience. I used to live next to Medical Center station, service was so bad it was better to just drive down to Lindbergh to ride MARTA.

And because that's going way out of the way, if you're trying to get to Midtown/Downtown/Airport, which are the primary MARTA destinations and reasons for its existence.

I'm not saying that top-end link shouldn't happen, but the Midtown->Cumberland link (or Downtown->Cumberland or Lindbergh->Cumberland) should be the first priority.
Huh? As long as the trains are running on time, which is about 95-96% of the time, the Red Line works just fine. Only, the night transfer at Lindbergh is a little annoying.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:17 PM

I worked in Alpharetta when I lived in Sandy Springs, so the only time I got to ride the train was on nights and weekends, the times when Red is a joke.

Lindbergh is the best MARTA station, though. Great service level, and plenty of parking. If only there was an equivalent along I-75.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:30 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,866,194 times
I knew Atlanta FC would be a bigger hit than the Braves. Soccer is huge in all super diverse cities like NY, LA,SF, DC, Seattle, Atlanta. I personally love baseball more but soccer will be just as big as MLB in the future but it could take 25-50 years.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:44 PM

Soccer needs rule changes. The game is fundamentally broken, IMO. Even though it can obviously still be fun and exciting.

For example, the MLS championship last season was 0-0. They settled it with stupid penalty kicks, which might as well be a coin toss. And Seattle "beat" Toronto that way, who outplayed them all game. Dumb.

Average score for games I see is like 1-0. Does it really need to be THAT difficult to score?

And don't even get me started on stoppage time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta