Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 07:32 AM

994 posts, read 1,536,174 times

Advertisements

For those who say they don't care about, never venture to, and claim to have no interest in Cobb County, they sure post about what goes on here more than anyone.

Old 04-20-2017, 07:32 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,344,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
When I was a kid in the mid-90's, we went to the Braves game as a fun, occasional special treat. Not regularly. It's expensive, especially for half decent seats.

And it was fun because the Braves were full of Hall of Fame players and always near the top of the division. Hint, hint.
Same here. Went to games as a special treat as a kid. Fun memories.

Old 04-20-2017, 07:47 AM

356 posts, read 315,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanarkand A East View Post
Why indeed. When I first saw the maps, I knew exactly what the response would be, and deservedly so. I used to go to games at a moment's notice, based on where I live, but they seem to want built in revenue from fans buying tickets to an 80+ home schedule, plus parking, IN ADVANCE. Oh, and at a location that's even harder to get to. And after they wrote off most of the metro with their "our fans live over here" comments. Good luck with that.
Man y'all whine like toddlers. They moved what, 10 miles? And so far traffic is way better than it was at Turner, where almost everyone had to make it through the downtown connector and past I20.

Their map just showed the facts, there's a lot of red but mostly north of Turner. I spent a decade in town, and I swear it wasn't as full of whiny "I'm special" little boys and girls as it seems to be now. Hope it's just the internet.

http://usatftw.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/heat-map.jpg

Old 04-20-2017, 08:38 AM

1,057 posts, read 865,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2atl View Post
Man y'all whine like toddlers. They moved what, 10 miles? And so far traffic is way better than it was at Turner, where almost everyone had to make it through the downtown connector and past I20.

Their map just showed the facts, there's a lot of red but mostly north of Turner. I spent a decade in town, and I swear it wasn't as full of whiny "I'm special" little boys and girls as it seems to be now. Hope it's just the internet.

http://usatftw.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/heat-map.jpg
So spend over a billion dollars to draw the same amount of people? The braves must be thrilled so far.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:26 AM

1,164 posts, read 1,262,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -thomass View Post
So spend over a billion dollars to draw the same amount of people? The braves must be thrilled so far.
They're not drawing the same amount of people. Attendance through the first six home games is up 15.6% YOY. They're making more money on every fan who goes through the turnstiles. And they're in the commercial real estate business.

I wouldn't lose too much sleep for their bean-counters.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:56 AM

1,057 posts, read 865,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
They're not drawing the same amount of people. Attendance through the first six home games is up 15.6% YOY. They're making more money on every fan who goes through the turnstiles. And they're in the commercial real estate business.

I wouldn't lose too much sleep for their bean-counters.
It's a new stadium and we're not even through April yet lol. When the newness factor is gone, attendence will be roughly the same

Old 04-20-2017, 08:50 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,840,940 times
Final game of "opening week" is in the books. Braves average attendance down to 30,771.

Looks like even holding onto an average attendance above 30k will be quite a challenge for the Braves this year.

We can throw Liberty Media's hopes of getting 3 million in total attendance for the year right out the window now. They probably won't even get the typical 28% YoY boost seen in new stadiums (2.6M total attendance) and will likely end up with attendance closer to the same they have been averaging during their lame duck years at Turner.

On the plus side Liberty Media stock still is doing fine YoY.

Is attendance up at SunTrust Park? It's not so simple. | 11alive.com

Old 04-20-2017, 09:04 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,305,869 times
Quick reminder: Fulton County Stadium, Turner Field, and the proposed new stadium

1. were not near mass transit
2. poured extra traffic into the worst road in Atlanta
3. were in dangerous and unpleasant neighborhoods
4. were far from the fan base

Perhaps the geniuses that failed with 3 stadium plans over half a century should be quiet.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:10 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,215,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Final game of "opening week" is in the books. Braves average attendance down to 30,771.

Looks like even holding onto an average attendance above 30k will be quite a challenge for the Braves this year.
Yeah. They're a 6-9 ball club, in the middle of a long rebuilding phase. No one in their right mind would expect higher turnout than 30k this season. Unless the team turns around really quickly or something.

The idea is to get the team back on top of the division within the next few years, and then stay up there as long as possible. They should be in this stadium at least 20 years, probably longer. Average attendance over the long haul will mature as the team matures, not to mention this city and metro maturing around them.

Ticket sales will fluctuate with the quality and success of the team. As with all pro sports.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:19 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,840,940 times
Quote:
Yeah. They're a 6-9 ball club, in the middle of a long rebuilding phase. No one in their right mind would expect higher turnout than 30k this season. Unless the team turns around really quickly or something.
Tell that to the Braves and MikeHonchoATL

Quote:
The idea is to get the team back on top of the division within the next few years, and then stay up there as long as possible. They should be in this stadium at least 20 years, probably longer. Average attendance over the long haul will mature as the team matures, not to mention this city and metro maturing around them.

Ticket sales will fluctuate with the quality and success of the team. As with all pro sports.

Quote:
One important thing we want to note: According to the North American Association of Sports Economists, the quality of a team has zero impact on attendance in year one of a stadium, so when we start comparing years, it doesn’t matter how good the team was.
From: Is attendance up at SunTrust Park? It's not so simple. | 11alive.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta