Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2018, 09:24 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,695,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
No we were talking specifically about MARTA acquiring new property and directing the development on it. You changed the topic to TODs on existing MARTA parking lots. That is a significant difference. Government shouldn't be in the real estate speculation business.
Right, we were talking about MARTA as an entity doing more TOD, to which you replied by saying government never gets it right, to which I replied that MARTA, the people we were originally talking about, does just fine with its TOD. Since, you know, we were talking about MARTA taking the opportunity to do more TOD.

MARTA has been, and is set up to continue to be, highly successful with its TOD projects. Whether or not they use existing property or new property doesn't really matter. After all, they had to acquire their land as new property at some point. This is just skipping out the middle years of leaving open parking lots that decrease usage, and hurt neighborhoods.

MARTA has shown little to no indication that they would do a bad job of managing their property in leasing it to private developers, and in the process we may very well be able to fund large portions of rail extensions based on the long-range profits generated from leases. Perhaps we could pay for a significant portion a Green Line extension out of a string of infill developments that themselves seed additional development?

Especially since this is not at all out of government's preview by even a little bit. It is, after all, a government agency performing a core role of government by supplying supporting infrastructure to enable development. This time it's just in the form of heavy rail (or whatever) rather than a road, and includes a bit more direct lease payments rather than property taxes.

There is nothing, not one thing, that would be of bounds here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2018, 10:08 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times

Note the April one publish date and try spelling "Mr Sloof Lirpa" backwards.

Old 05-21-2018, 03:07 PM

821 posts, read 726,614 times
Current state of Tilford

Old 09-18-2018, 12:25 PM

2 posts, read 3,001 times
Any recent updates on hulsey's potential closing?

Old 09-18-2018, 12:43 PM

7,359 posts, read 6,529,813 times
Hulsey won't close until the Fairburn yard expansion is complete. I am not sure of the status of that however. It's still not guaranteed that Hulsey will close.

Old 09-18-2018, 01:39 PM

821 posts, read 726,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Hulsey won't close until the Fairburn yard expansion is complete. I am not sure of the status of that however. It's still not guaranteed that Hulsey will close.
Any updates on Tilford?

Old 09-18-2018, 06:09 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,775,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlHawks View Post
Any updates on Tilford?
I don't have any official updates on Tillford, but on one of my recent flights into Atlanta I flew the route westward over Midtown before the plane turns and lands going eastbound into the airport.

I got a really good look at Tillford and was amazed at how barren and stripped down it looked. I didn't see many tracks left at all.

I knew it was closing, but after living here my whole life I was still shocked to see from the air how barren and stripped down it was.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:37 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I don't have any official updates on Tillford, but on one of my recent flights into Atlanta I flew the route westward over Midtown before the plane turns and lands going eastbound into the airport.

I got a really good look at Tillford and was amazed at how barren and stripped down it looked. I didn't see many tracks left at all.

I knew it was closing, but after living here my whole life I was still shocked to see from the air how barren and stripped down it was.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:19 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,360,592 times
Wow..I haven't driven over that part of Marietta recently. Crazy that they've torn all that out. I'm surprised they didn't just leave it. Huge cost to pull all of that out without plans...

Old 09-19-2018, 09:31 AM

197 posts, read 184,082 times
I think some huge plans are brewing for Tilford. As the quarry park opens, the area is going to explode.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta