Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 12:40 PM

7,352 posts, read 6,521,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
I was thinking more than that, though. Especially if we have frequent services in the MARTA service areas where there won't be lay overs, but large fleets will be needed.

As you said, the Gulch makes sense for a lay-over yard and maintenance for the laid-over trains, but what about all the other ones? What about the frequent commuter rail trains? What about the back-up trains? What about all the standard commuter rail, and intercity trains that end their trips in Atlanta? I don't know how much room would be needed, operationally speaking, for all three agencies to have storage and maintenance space as needed, but I have a hunch that it's more than the Gulch can offer on its own.
Huh? That's all exactly what I'm talking about. If a train isn't laid-over, it's in motion and unless they just lay a circle of track in the gulch...it's not going to be in the gulch for very long. I've measured it, there is more than enough room for a bit more than a dozen yard tracks stretching down to as far as the Peters St. bridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 01:47 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,355,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
No, it runs a fair bit south of Tilford, closer to Howell crossing somewhere in this area: https://goo.gl/maps/EHcg24k22fS2 None of that is going to change.
That's not what the beltline maps show. They show the segment between westside and northside trails crossing at Marietta Blvd, right at the south end of Tilford Yard.

Quote:
No, Howell yard is just north of the map I posted, a good miles from the Chattahoochee. There is however a rather large Transflo facility there, but I imagine it could be relocated to Tilford without too much trouble. But I believe Howell mostly serves local industries which can probably be served out of Tilford.
I meant Chattahoochee Ave. It crosses over Howell Station, correct? The Transflo is on Chattahoochee Ave. I don't know what the yard serves, but no trains depart it to the north. So it seems that those operations could easily be moved to Tilford.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:37 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,691,142 times
Quote:
Huh? That's all exactly what I'm talking about. If a train isn't laid-over, it's in motion and unless they just lay a circle of track in the gulch...it's not going to be in the gulch for very long. I've measured it, there is more than enough room for a bit more than a dozen yard tracks stretching down to as far as the Peters St. bridge.
What about the spare trains, the ones that are neither laid-over, nor in service? What about at the end of the day when service ends? Are a dozen yard tracks enough to store not only the laid-over trains, but the out-of-revenue trains as well? Can all three agencies store equipment there without needing additional yard space?

A dozen tracks is dandy, but how much equipment can that actually store, and how does that compare to the real storage needs of the various agencies?

I don't expect these questions to be able to be adequately answered at this point in time since there are little to no actual operations plans for any of the agencies right now, but it's something to keep in mind.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:52 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Hulsey closing and selling + somebody GOOD redeveloping it (not Fuqua) + MARTA infill at Krog St = game changer for ATL.

Thing is massive. Could be not just a little bit of everything, but a lot of everything. Mid-rise dense residential, lots of retail, offices, the works. Green space in there too. Trendy market. Movie production studios. All kinds of possibilities. W/ transit.
There's already a lot of development in that general vicinity. Not a game changer. Howell could be significant. It could really jump start development and redevelopment to the west.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:55 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Doraville Yard, all that underused side tracks.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
What about the spare trains, the ones that are neither laid-over, nor in service? What about at the end of the day when service ends? Are a dozen yard tracks enough to store not only the laid-over trains, but the out-of-revenue trains as well? Can all three agencies store equipment there without needing additional yard space?

A dozen tracks is dandy, but how much equipment can that actually store, and how does that compare to the real storage needs of the various agencies?

I don't expect these questions to be able to be adequately answered at this point in time since there are little to no actual operations plans for any of the agencies right now, but it's something to keep in mind.
That's what the layover yards at the outlying terminals are for...

Old 04-21-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
That's what the layover yards at the outlying terminals are for...
I'm trying to keep us from needing to build / purchase all new land & facilities at the outlying terminals. If we consolidate the yards for a few lines into one, there could be significant cost savings.

Old 04-21-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
I'm trying to keep us from needing to build / purchase all new land & facilities at the outlying terminals. If we consolidate the yards for a few lines into one, there could be significant cost savings.
Unless you run the commuter rail on a truly balanced frequency, with equal outbound and inbound trains at all times, or you run non-revenue moves every day, you can't avoid it. There can be one central yard, but each line will need a terminating/originating yard of some kind too. The downtown yard can be central, all the lines can consolidate there, but again, they each still need outlying yards.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Unless you run the commuter rail on a truly balanced frequency, with equal outbound and inbound trains at all times, or you run non-revenue moves every day, you can't avoid it. There can be one central yard, but each line will need a terminating/originating yard of some kind too. The downtown yard can be central, all the lines can consolidate there, but again, they each still need outlying yards.
If MARTA gets to running frequent commuter rail in the core, then yeah, I can see the space being well used.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
If MARTA gets to running frequent commuter rail in the core, then yeah, I can see the space being well used.
Any "core" service would be HRT or LRT and irrelevant to any discussion of layover yards. Yes, they do need them, but their dynamics are a good deal different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta