Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 09:05 AM

23,370 posts, read 43,846,775 times

Advertisements

I guess a parking lot covered in grass beats one covered in asphalt.

Have you seen Atlanta's new Home Depot Backyard park?

I have to admit to a little disappointment. Another corporate shill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 09:30 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,372,240 times
Hmmmm...

Not too crazy about it. I am getting a little tired of corporate named everything. Home Depot Backyard sounds silly.

Old 04-22-2017, 09:33 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,717,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I guess a parking lot covered in grass beats one covered in asphalt.

Have you seen Atlanta's new Home Depot Backyard park?

I have to admit to a little disappointment. Another corporate shill.
Completely agree. This is a disappointment, although it could be worse. While it sometimes works in our benefit, we sell out to corporations too much in this city. It's in your face, everywhere you go.

Old 04-22-2017, 10:12 AM

23,370 posts, read 43,846,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
Completely agree. This is a disappointment, although it could be worse. While it sometimes works in our benefit, we sell out to corporations too much in this city. It's in your face, everywhere you go.
My feelings exactly. Like a billboard on steroids.

Old 04-22-2017, 10:25 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,291,718 times
No surprise here.

Folks keep wanting to deny the impact that reducing corporate taxes over at least 2 generations would have on America...and especially in regions with a hardcore feudalistic (the-elite-are-GODS) style background.

And throw in the corporate personhood effect for good measure.

Now, these corporations can economically blackmail governments from the state level on down at their leisure. And we common citizens have no real leverage with which to stop them.

I thought it was corny & tacky that the GDOT operated HERO vehicles are emblazoned with the State Farm Insurance logo on them...but there it is.

It is what it is.

Old 04-22-2017, 10:32 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,328,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
Hmmmm...

Not too crazy about it. I am getting a little tired of corporate named everything. Home Depot Backyard sounds silly.
Yeah...it's getting pretty ridiculous. One just need look at the list of college bowl games and their names.

"R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl"
"San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl"
"Camping World Independence Bowl"
"Motel 6 Cactus Bowl"
"AdvoCare V100 Texas Bowl"

Then look at amphitheaters...hwo many names has Lakewood had? And there's an amphitheater in Florida named the "1-800-Ask-Gary Amphitheatre".

Ugh. Grinds my gears (sponsored by NAPA).

Old 04-22-2017, 11:18 AM

356 posts, read 315,006 times
Agree it's a little tacky. Better than alternatives like more convention space or a sea of asphalt though! As far as private property goes, cool that they are opening to the public and planning to have community events there.

Old 04-22-2017, 11:36 AM

31,997 posts, read 36,597,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
No surprise here.

Folks keep wanting to deny the impact that reducing corporate taxes over at least 2 generations would have on America...and especially in regions with a hardcore feudalistic (the-elite-are-GODS) style background.

And throw in the corporate personhood effect for good measure.

Now, these corporations can economically blackmail governments from the state level on down at their leisure. And we common citizens have no real leverage with which to stop them.

I thought it was corny & tacky that the GDOT operated HERO vehicles are emblazoned with the State Farm Insurance logo on them...but there it is.

It is what it is.
The big corporations have the money. In the unlikely event they should ever run out, they will simply bankrupt and the executives who ran the company into the ground will walk away with large fortunes.

Old 04-22-2017, 12:03 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,197,848 times
I may be mistaken here, but it looks like Magnolia St will be extended to Andrew Young. If so, that's FANTASTIC news for Vine City, and for in-town connectivity.

Of course, Andrew Young might soon be closed to cars through Centennial Park, so, that would limit the connection.

That damn GWCC mega-mega-block is such a killer of the city street grid.

Old 04-22-2017, 01:58 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,328,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I may be mistaken here, but it looks like Magnolia St will be extended to Andrew Young. If so, that's FANTASTIC news for Vine City, and for in-town connectivity.

Of course, Andrew Young might soon be closed to cars through Centennial Park, so, that would limit the connection.
It looks to me like Magnolia goes through, but ends at Magnum, at the parking garage under Andrew Young. Does little for connectivity. For Magnolia to connect with Andrew Young, it would have to be ramped up several stories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta