Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 07:30 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,314,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post

AND JUST FYI ... There are several major cities without ANY daily newspaper (Oakland, Tampa, Birmingham, Mobile) and only a handful that still have more than one (New York, Chicago, Washington, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, Detroit, San Francisco).
The whole rest of this post (including the part I deleted for the sake of practicality in my reply) was great, but you're wrong about Tampa. The Tampa Bay Times (formerly St. Petersburg Times) is alive and well, and is easily the largest newspaper not only in Florida, but also in the entire Southeast, actually. (Yes, larger than the AJC, particularly since the Times bought the Tampa Tribune a year ago and shut them down, thereby converting most existing Trib subscribers to Times subscribers).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2017, 08:39 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,388,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Then why don't try your hand at it since you're such a severe critic of such a successful guy?
I don't have to be employed in the field to be able to recognize good stuff. I can enjoy a good book without having to author several novels.

Quote:
And yet another piece of the puzzle falls into place. You don't like his politics, got it.

No wonder you're so bitter and miserable, I would be too if I had your mindset.
Why should I be? Trump trashed Hillary. I bet Luckovich had a cartoon ready in anticipation of a Hillary win which we probably will never see. For which I am glad.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:08 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Detroit is run as one paper but creating two separate outputs. They aren't as independent of each other as those in the other cities.
They maintain separate ownership and independent (competing) news operations, but share business, advertising, production and circulation departments. That was a common practice for many two-paper towns until recently.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:21 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
I don't have to be employed in the field to be able to recognize good stuff. I can enjoy a good book without having to author several novels.
No, you're using your political views to discredit a respected professional, while simultaneously trashing the reputation of the freaking Pulitzer Prize. That's pretty damn pathetic, even for you.

Quote:
Why should I be? Trump trashed Hillary. I bet Luckovich had a cartoon ready in anticipation of a Hillary win which we probably will never see. For which I am glad.
He lost by over 3,000,000 votes. Trump colluding with Russia and the setup of the Electoral College trashed Hillary.

The inner circle will all be indicted by Christmas anyway.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:37 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,872,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
He lost by over 3,000,000 votes.
Only going down too with the job he is doing. He has the lowest Q1 job approval rating in the modern era, and it is not even close.

GOP is notoriously bad at managing the economy too. Despite inheriting a decent economy looks like Trump is already dragging on the job market: US GDP in first quarter shows slowest growth in 3 years - Apr. 28, 2017

Old 04-28-2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Only going down too with the job he is doing. He has the lowest Q1 job approval rating in the modern era, and it is not even close.

GOP is notoriously bad at managing the economy too. Despite inheriting a decent economy looks like Trump is already dragging on the job market: US GDP in first quarter shows slowest growth in 3 years - Apr. 28, 2017
krogerDisco has veered yet another thread off topic, so...

Tell it!

Old 04-28-2017, 11:04 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InternationalWaves View Post
Lol,a lot of wrong information coming from someone who should know better,just to try to prove me wrong.But I leave it up to the readers to research.

Btw just one of those..the Miami.."Mega" lol metro region has the same population of Atlanta metro region. So now what. And you do find those 3 papers throughout the tricounty area. I lived in Miami and know better pick another city,maybe u might win by my lack of knowledge elsewhere lol
With all due respect .... you clearly don't know jack about the newspaper industry or else you'd never have posted this question in the first place. And you'd certainly have more sense than to argue with somebody like me, who has a degree in this stuff and worked in the business for 25 years until all the jobs went away. Tens of thousands of print journalists have seen their careers evaporate over the past 15 years as advertising revenue and readership collapsed. Every major newspaper group in the country has gone bankrupt or teetered on the brink. Once giant and hugely profitable newspapers like the Boston Globe, Chicago Tribune LA Times and your beloved MIAMI HERALD are shells of their former selves and basically worthless.

So pardon me for being just a little bit annoyed at your suggestion that you somehow know more about all this than I do. I don't need to prove anything to you.

As for the South Florida newspaper market, don't know how long ago you lived there but THESE are the facts:

-- The Miami Herald (once the flagship HQ for Knight Ridder) was sold to McClatchey in 2006. It's landmark building on Biscayne Bay was sold in 2011 and demolished in 2014. The paper is now based in suburban Doral. It has a circulation of less than 200,000 on Sundays, mostly in Dade County though it's a available in Broward and Monroe.

-- The Sun-Sentinel, because of its location, is the only paper in the region that's still available in all three counties. Most of its 225,000 Sunday readers are in Broward, however, and it has dropped "South Florida" from its nameplate as coverage of news beyond its core audience has been cut back. It's owned by Tronc, formally the Tribune Co, which had $13 billion in debt when it filed for bankruptcy in 2008. It's now worth just pennies on the dollar.

-- The Palm Beach Post is owned by Atlanta-based Cox, which also owns the AJC and both WSB radio and TV. Editorial and business offices are on Dixie Highway in West Palm Beach, but like all Cox newspapers (including the AJC) pages are designed and copy edited in Dayton, Ohio. From there, they are digitally transmitted to the plant of the Sun-Sentinel in Fort Lauderdale, where the Post is printed and then trucked north every night for delivery (common throughout the industry now). The Post is still available in Palm Beach, Martin, St. Lucie, Okeechobee, Indian River, Hendry, and Glades counties despite plummeting circulation over the past 15 years. In 2000 it had 165,000 daily subscribers. Today it has fewer than 80,000.

Quote:
Smh Keep on! There's more MAJOR cities to add to that list on Atlanta's level and even smaller..Lol Cmon let's Go!

Btw do not compare tiny towns such as Birmingham and Mobile to Atlanta metro area!
See my comment above please and KNOCK YOURSELF OUT trying to "prove me wrong."

Old 04-28-2017, 11:28 PM

139 posts, read 127,038 times
Quote:
With all due respect .... you clearly don't know jack about the newspaper industry or else you'd never have posted this question in the first place. And you'd certainly have more sense than to argue with somebody like me, who has a degree in this stuff and worked in the business for 25 years until all the jobs went away. Tens of thousands of print journalists have seen their careers evaporate over the past 15 years as advertising revenue and readership collapsed. Every major newspaper group in the country has gone bankrupt or teetered on the brink. Once giant and hugely profitable newspapers like the Boston Globe, Chicago Tribune LA Times and your beloved MIAMI HERALD are shells of their former selves and basically worthless.

So pardon me for being just a little bit annoyed at your suggestion that you somehow know more about all this than I do. I don't need to prove anything to you.

As for the South Florida newspaper market, don't know how long ago you lived there but THESE are the facts:

-- The Miami Herald (once the flagship HQ for Knight Ridder) was sold to McClatchey in 2006. It's landmark building on Biscayne Bay was sold in 2011 and demolished in 2014. The paper is now based in suburban Doral. It has a circulation of less than 200,000 on Sundays, mostly in Dade County though it's a available in Broward and Monroe.

-- The Sun-Sentinel, because of its location, is the only paper in the region that's still available in all three counties. Most of its 225,000 Sunday readers are in Broward, however, and it has dropped "South Florida" from its nameplate as coverage of news beyond its core audience has been cut back. It's owned by Tronc, formally the Tribune Co, which had $13 billion in debt when it filed for bankruptcy in 2008. It's now worth just pennies on the dollar.

-- The Palm Beach Post is owned by Atlanta-based Cox, which also owns the AJC and both WSB radio and TV. Editorial and business offices are on Dixie Highway in West Palm Beach, but like all Cox newspapers (including the AJC) pages are designed and copy edited in Dayton, Ohio. From there, they are digitally transmitted to the plant of the Sun-Sentinel in Fort Lauderdale, where the Post is printed and then trucked north every night for delivery (common throughout the industry now). The Post is still available in Palm Beach, Martin, St. Lucie, Okeechobee, Indian River, Hendry, and Glades counties despite plummeting circulation over the past 15 years. In 2000 it had 165,000 daily subscribers. Today it has fewer than 80,000.

Lol. I repeat it without any intention of correcting you. I might not know much but you are certainly wrong in a lot of things which make me question your long experience and knowledge. Degree? Facts are facts degree or not.

Don't turn this now into the amount of subscribers and every detail about the newspapers because that wasn't the point to begin with sir.

Palm Beach,Broward and Miami-Dade makes up the Miami metro area regardless if the topography is different to the ATL metro area. And population is almost equal in both. That makes 3 MAJOR newspapers in the South Florida region plus add the Spanish "El Nuevo Herald" which might be part of the Herald yet caters to Spanish speakers on a NATIONAL level.So that alone throws away your analogy. Thank you. Try again

Old 04-28-2017, 11:31 PM

139 posts, read 127,038 times
Quote:

Is you "NewsBoy" who is trying to prove ME wrong with wrong information sir.What makes you think I don't know the situation of the industry for asking why Atlanta have only ONE major newspaper?
Why aren't you checking other cities beyond the "only ONES" you mentioned? You'll be proved wrong wouldn't you?
I never said I know more or know it all but do know enough OK. So keep trying me and I'll have no choice but to throw your knowledge to the garbage. Sorry you're not sorry. Respect is earned and you lost mines..OK!

Last edited by InternationalWaves; 04-28-2017 at 11:41 PM..

Old 04-28-2017, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Lol. I repeat it without any intention of correcting you. I might not know much but you are certainly wrong in a lot of things which make me question your long experience and knowledge. Degree? Facts are facts degree or not.

Don't turn this now into the amount of subscribers and every detail about the newspapers because that wasn't the point to begin with sir.

Palm Beach,Broward and Miami-Dade makes up the Miami metro area regardless if the topography is different to the ATL metro area. And population is almost equal in both. That makes 3 MAJOR newspapers in the South Florida region plus add the Spanish "El Nuevo Herald" which might be part of the Herald yet caters to Spanish speakers on a NATIONAL level.So that alone throws away your analogy. Thank you. Try again
You have no idea how far out of your league you are here. Newsboy knows exactly what he's talking about.

South Florida is structured totally different than Atlanta. Miami, Ft. Lauderdale & West Palm Beach used to be separate markets that hardly had any overlap with each other. The remnants of this is the three papers, nothing more. West Palm is still a separate media market even now, with their own network TV stations.

South Florida has nothing over Atlanta when it comes to media. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta