Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 08:39 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times

Advertisements

These little guys fascinate me. They're so tiny. They're like, golf carts.

Seems like I've been seeing them more and more, especially in the city. But even out in the 'burbs as well.

I can't help but think, these things are half the size of most vehicles. It's just a thought experiment here obviously, but if everyone drove one of these Smart Cars, in theory, couldn't we fit a whole lot more cars in the existing lanes, thus reducing congestion by a ton?

Also, they just seem safer/better, especially in cities, because of their slow acceleration and slower speed, and their smaller size makes them a little less deadly I would guess.

Another added benefit, parking decks and lots could be made much smaller and more compact, if all vehicles were about this size/footprint.

And finally, these Smart Cars are always at at least 1/2 capacity, as opposed to the typical 1/4 in 4-seaters. And a lot of the time they're at full passenger capacity. So the average of capacity usage of Smart Cars in the world is probably 60% to 70%. (Between 1 and 2 people.)

I say, bring on the Smart Car revolution, to fix Atlanta. I love these little guys, and they look really cool.

(I'm not very tall, so I personally don't mind compact cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 08:58 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,389,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Also, they just seem safer/better, especially in cities, because of their slow acceleration and slower speed, and their smaller size makes them a little less deadly I would guess.
Actually, larger cars are safer for the passenger. However, they are well designed to be reasonably safe.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:02 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,315,298 times
Consumer Reports has consistently rated them as among the worst modern cars they've tested. One year they scored a 28/100. And they apparently get terrible mileage, considering their small size and small engines.

If I lived in the urban core and never strayed from it, I might consider one. But otherwise, no thanks.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
Actually, larger cars are safer for the passenger. However, they are well designed to be reasonably safe.
I meant, they're less deadly objects to others outside the vehicle (peds, bikes, other cars). Since they weigh probably only about 1,500 pounds, and they're 8 feet long and 5 feet wide. And they're slow.

And yeah they're more deadly if you're in one of these and the other guy is in a F150 or something. Of course. But if everyone had a Smart Car, I'm betting there'd be a whole lot fewer road fatalities in general.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:18 PM

The short length obviously is the main reason why they could help ease traffic if they were widely adopted.

But now that I think about it, the fact that they're only 5' wide (4.97 ft actually), means that in my 'Smart Car world', we could made streets and roads much narrower, with the same count of lanes, and give all that space to wide sidewalks/bike lanes/bus lanes/street parking/nice landscaping, etc.

And freeways could have more lanes, just by re-striping. Make the freeway lanes 50% narrower, 8' instead of the current 12', and get 50% more lanes, for free. (Freight trucks obviously would have to have their own separated lanes.)

So both the width and length would give us significantly more capacity with our current roads.

Make cars smaller!

Old 04-30-2017, 11:12 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
My dad got one when they first came to America. He saw them in Europe and was fascinated, like you. He was on a waiting list and everything and got one shortly after they were released here.

I never go to see it because before I could even visit, he had already become so fed up with all the things that went wrong with it that he demanded a refund. Apparently, the car had terrible issues.

He bought a Toyota Yaris instead and loves it.

Personally, I refuse to drive a car that small for two big reasons:

1) I'm 6 feet tall, so I like a car I don't have to fold myself up into. BUT EVEN MORE IMPORTANTLY:
2) I've driven small cars before and it really scares me when tractor trailers blow by me and I can feel the car getting blow around in the draft. I like a car that has some weight to it and at least 16 inch tires so I don't get knocked around by those trucks. I don't need a big SUV or anything, but I will always (at least in Atlanta) have at least a mid-size sedan so it will stay in the lane I want it in.

Old 05-01-2017, 06:07 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,830,810 times
Hard pass. They get like 30-something MPG and age really poorly. I'd rather have a Honda Grom and $8,000 extra dollars in my pocket.

Old 05-01-2017, 06:31 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post

These little guys fascinate me. They're so tiny. They're like, golf carts.

Seems like I've been seeing them more and more, especially in the city. But even out in the 'burbs as well.

I can't help but think, these things are half the size of most vehicles. It's just a thought experiment here obviously, but if everyone drove one of these Smart Cars, in theory, couldn't we fit a whole lot more cars in the existing lanes, thus reducing congestion by a ton?

Another added benefit, parking decks and lots could be made much smaller and more compact, if all vehicles were about this size/footprint.

And finally, these Smart Cars are always at at least 1/2 capacity, as opposed to the typical 1/4 in 4-seaters. And a lot of the time they're at full passenger capacity. So the average of capacity usage of Smart Cars in the world is probably 60% to 70%. (Between 1 and 2 people.)

I say, bring on the Smart Car revolution, to fix Atlanta. I love these little guys, and they look really cool.

(I'm not very tall, so I personally don't mind compact cars.
Still need the standard 10' lane for emergency vehicles.

Old 05-01-2017, 06:57 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,813,069 times
Perfect match for those who live in tiny homes.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:41 AM

1,164 posts, read 1,265,803 times
They suck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: