Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 12:53 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,836,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
You shouldn't need a "mixed-use" zoning. The zoning should be "cumulative." Everything but Industrial should be allowed in any higher category, so mixed-use would apply to either office category. Mixed retail/apartments would be in retail and up.
That is an interesting idea. Is there anywhere out there that does "cumulative" zoning already? Maybe it could be brought into the city's ongoing "zoning rewrite".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 01:07 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,674,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Better would be to take the 40-50 zoning groups and lower it to single figures. DeKalb recently dropped about 10 of its 40-50 zones.

Industrial
Single Family
High density family (townhomes/patio homes/duplex/triplex)
Multifamily (apartments)
Retail
Low rise office
High rise office

And maybe 2-5 others. You shouldn't need a "mixed-use" zoning. The zoning should be "cumulative." Everything but Industrial should be allowed in any higher category, so mixed-use would apply to either office category. Mixed retail/apartments would be in retail and up.
I have been advocating, for a good while now, for the city to adopt Inclusionary Zoning policies like Japan. They have a total of 18 zones.

While that would be the preferred option, I will admit that having the allowance of 'tiny homes' is better than not, even as limited as it is.

Like I said, it's a step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
That is an interesting idea. Is there anywhere out there that does "cumulative" zoning already? Maybe it could be brought into the city's ongoing "zoning rewrite".
See the link above. Japan has been rather successful at this.

Old 05-03-2017, 02:49 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,246,950 times
Tiny houses would be great for use as rentals, for visiting guests, for older kids who still live at home or who come home from college on weekends, for aging parents who don't need a lot of room but need to be close to their families, for musicians/artists/craftspeople who need space to do their work, as home offices or workspaces for massage therapists, as alternatives to tree forts for kids, etc.

For the vast majority of Americans, these houses aren't conducive to living a happy life, but I don't understand why this idea gets belittled. There are countless great uses for small buildings.

Old 05-03-2017, 03:55 PM
bu2

23,925 posts, read 14,730,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
I don't know. It was part of the proposal Houston rejected in the 1990s. They had 4 exclusively residential districts starting with SF home; Industrial with no residential allowed; Urban neighborhood (think Inman Park); Major Activity Center (downtown and 3 other major business districts-ie downtown, midtown, Buckhead-Lennox here); and Open (for tracts over 2 acres) which could become anything but industrial.

(Link shows the categories in the first paragraph in the 2nd column-doesn't really get into the cumulative idea that was part of it)
https://www.jstor.org/stable/3146764...n_tab_contents

Old 05-04-2017, 10:12 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,334,801 times
When I think "tiny house", I don't think 750 square feet, or even 600 square feet. I could easily live in that space by myself. But these tiny houses that are like 150 square feet...who on earth wants to live in that full time?!

But either way...no way in hell would I willingly live in anything under 1000 square feet with family. Even 1352 is getting tight for our family of 3.

Old 05-04-2017, 11:53 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,931,374 times
These really aren't tiny houses. More like ADUs and Granny Flats. I think they're a great solution as long as they don't turn into AirBnB rentals. Let's loosen the zoning to create more affordable housing, not to create more vacation rentals.

Old 05-10-2017, 12:54 PM

347 posts, read 377,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
These really aren't tiny houses. More like ADUs and Granny Flats. I think they're a great solution as long as they don't turn into AirBnB rentals. Let's loosen the zoning to create more affordable housing, not to create more vacation rentals.
Exactly.

Personally, I think these would be fantastic for young professionals in say, their 20s, as a "starter" home, or folks who are retired and want to downsize. Attach a garage and you could create a unique neighborhood.

Old 05-10-2017, 01:47 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,836,402 times
Yeah, this is really just legalizing ADUs / granny flats. You still can't build a proper stand alone tiny house in Atlanta.

This is a tiny (heh) step in the right direction. But there is still a lot of work to be done with our zoning code.

In looking at the zoning code in more detail related to this, I realized that not only is my Ormewood Park home non-compliant with the existing zoning in the neighborhood (along with most of the original homes in the neighborhood), but there actually is not a single CoA residential zoning designation that it even legally fits in since it is a duplex that is "only" 25 ft from the street. You could not rebuild my home (and many others in my area) in Atlanta even if you had your pick of zoning designations.

We need this zoning rewrite bad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: