Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2017, 07:30 AM

31 posts, read 24,275 times

Advertisements

Houston is more Hispanic and White and Atlanta is more Black and white. I've heard Houston has an emerging Black middle Class but blacks and whites in Atlanta are far better than Houston hands down. Houston is plagued with illegals everywhere. Its just an extension of Tijuana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 07:40 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechosen View Post
Houston is more Hispanic and White and Atlanta is more Black and white. I've heard Houston has an emerging Black middle Class but blacks and whites in Atlanta are far better than Houston hands down. Houston is plagued with illegals everywhere. Its just an extension of Tijuana.
Are they far better economically, or in other ways?

Old 05-08-2017, 07:42 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
Houston is a bigger city, but Atlanta has a much bigger footprint culturally. The Black community in Atlanta by itself pretty much holds that down. Don't even see how that is an argument really. Black people from Houston will even tell you the same thing.
Well yeah but every city would even say that. And the bigger footprint is why I've always said that Atlanta is the center of the South. Houston sits on the edge of being close to the Southwest while still in the South.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:43 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechosen View Post
far better? In what meaning? Also, how is Houston just an extension of Tijuana?

Old 05-08-2017, 07:51 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
far better? In what meaning? Also, how is Houston just an extension of Tijuana?
It's not. Tijuana is on the Pacific Ocean directly south of San Diego. Complete other side of Mexico from Houston. Thechosen poster needs to brush up on her or his geography.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:15 AM

1,705 posts, read 1,388,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Mountain bikes are call mountain bikes for a reason
It means they are good for trails, and rough terrain. A lot of people use them just for street riding.

Quote:
A lot more, Atlanta delta hub
A number? Houston is a hub for United. A focus city for Southwest.

Quote:
Nice try, Atlanta is generally way more known in pop culture and have more live shows and etc.
How many live shows? Atlanta is known for its nudie bar scene.

Quote:
I don't known what is better but southeast general has more cities
None of which are among the great cities of America.

Quote:
Houston got those as well
Not so bad, mostly EF-0s.

Quote:
I seriously don't even know what trying to accomplish with your post in this thread.

This is your response in this thread in a nutshell

Houston pros: let talks about that

Atlanta pros: So what
I thought it was obvious. Poster was trying to list the Atlanta pros rather than do a simple comparison. I say "so what" to imply, that the point is irrelevant. Atlanta has more "peachtree" streets...so what?

Old 05-08-2017, 08:27 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Getting back to the Original Topic...

Both are fast growing Sunbelt powerhouses. Both have all the accoutrements of a large city.

Atlanta's climate and topography resemble that of other southern Piedmont cities: Greenville, Charlotte, Raleigh et al.

Houston's resemble that of it's northern Gulf coast peers: New Orleans and Mobile.

Houston's culture is more influenced by its' Hispanic community.

Atlanta's is more influenced by its' Black community.

Houston's energy industry is a very palpable presence there.

Atlanta has no one industry that is that palpable a presence.

I really like both of these cities, and therefore feel no need whatsoever to throw one under the bus in favor of the other.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:23 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
Life happens, my family moved to Atlanta. What's so preposterous about that?
I don't believe you. You weren't alive in the 60's to see Pittsburgh or anything else, for that matter.

Quote:
Being "more polluted than Cleveland" doesn't mean Pittsburgh was from its "Hell with the lid off" days.
Pittsburgh was more polluted than Cleveland in the 60's. Period.

Quote:
What on earth did you go to Pittsburgh often for? I have never traveled to Cleveland.
None of your damn business. And of course you haven't, even though it is literally next door. Yinzers are an extremely provincial lot, with no interest in the outside world.

Quote:
Again, you don't know what you are talking about, but I guess that won't stop you. Pittsburgh's Renaissance to clean up preceded the 1960s.
I know way more about it than you. And of course the cleanup started in the 50's, they had no choice. The place had become almost unlivable, and it took decades to undo the damage.

Quote:
The only thing you got right was about the streetcars.
I've been right about everything.

Quote:
You live up to Cleveland's reputation.
And what reputation would that be, the official 'Yinzer' one? As in believe what you are told about a place you have never been? I thought so.

Quote:
If you are happy there, good for you. I'm just suggesting that Atlanta is not all that. If it wasn't for me, you guys would have a "love Atlanta" orgy.
No, it's gone way beyond any type of 'suggestion' at all - it has become daily bashing, often across multiple threads.

And you will be continuously challenged as long as it continues.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:11 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post

Houston's culture is more influenced by its' Hispanic community.
Nope. Houston is far too diverse to be more so influenced by any one group in particular.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:38 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,237,327 times
Houston sucks for the following reasons:

Its Location

If you would like further detail: mind numbingly flat, ecologically boring (marshes are only entertaining for so long), inhospitable weather, and worst of all, its proximity to two other major cities. Atlanta is the undisputed capitol of the SE. Houston has to compete w/ Austin for the arts and Dallas for metropolitan stuffs. Atlanta doesn't so it all naturally arrives here. That last point is the part most people don't think about, but it makes for an inferior city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta