Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2017, 12:46 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,925,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Wow, for all the crap Atlanta catches, I've never heard anyone flat out say it's not a major city. What a bizarre comment.
It's relatively a small city population wise but a major metro. To me, a small city is under 500,000 and a mid sized city under 700,00 to be clear. I'm talking about the city itself, not metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 12:51 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,925,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
^^^^ And THIS is a prime example of the type of blatant (and unnecessary) trolling that provokes and inflames the type of animus that we often see on these types of misguided city vs. city threads.
This is not trolling!!!! This is the difference between the two cities clearly. It's not to inflame anything but to discuss the difference between the two cities. Atlanta, is really not a major city since it's well under 700,000, and Houston is really big with over 2.2 million. This is not a troll. Why you take it so personally, which I don't understand, since we're only talking about cities, not person and a group?

Old 05-15-2017, 06:04 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
This is not trolling!!!! This is the difference between the two cities clearly. It's not to inflame anything but to discuss the difference between the two cities. Atlanta, is really not a major city since it's well under 700,000, and Houston is really big with over 2.2 million. This is not a troll. Why you take it so personally, which I don't understand, since we're only talking about cities, not person and a group?
You really are making no sense. Sorry.

Old 05-15-2017, 06:05 AM

3,006 posts, read 2,629,048 times
More goes into the definition of "major city" than just population. It's "small" in population compared to Houston, but that's mainly because it's like 1/4th the square mileage of Houston.

Old 05-15-2017, 06:56 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,139,085 times
Quote:
This is not trolling!!!! This is the difference between the two cities clearly. It's not to inflame anything but to discuss the difference between the two cities. Atlanta, is really not a major city since it's well under 700,000, and Houston is really big with over 2.2 million. This is not a troll. Why you take it so personally, which I don't understand, since we're only talking about cities, not person and a group
City populations are meaningless except in discussing thing, policies etc that matter with the context of the political boundaries. If you don't know that, you need to learn that. If you do know that, you are trolling.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:12 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,235,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
It's relatively a small city population wise but a major metro. To me, a small city is under 500,000 and a mid sized city under 700,00 to be clear. I'm talking about the city itself, not metro.
It makes much more sense to compare metro areas than cities & their arbitrary boundaries. According to MSA population figures, Atlanta is #9 with 5.8 million (not exactly a hamlet) vs. Houston #5 at 6.8 million.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:09 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,439,118 times
Hey everyone the OP is no longer responding. Just let this thread go.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:26 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
I say just let it go. It is what it is. One thing I've noticed is that there is a slight streak of resentment towards Atlanta from other cities in the south, especially among people in my age range. I think I'm a little younger than some on here, but Ive noticed in my travels an actual level of dislike from jump street from others when they find out I'm from Atlanta. But at the same time I'll admit that Atlanta folks can be cocky and have an air of arrogance when in other cities, so I get it. But on the other other side of the coin they have to understand why some of us move like that. Yes Atlanta isn't as big as Houston, but we punch above our weight class big time culturally. We're not as big as those cities and we haven't been around as long as places like NO, and I honestly think some people from other parts of the south resent that. Almost like "hey we're bigger or older, why don't we get as much shine?"

The way we grow up here, the things we see like the 96 Olympics or looking at ATL in the background on CNN all add to the pot, and small things like that make us walk into a room of people and hold our head up even higher. I mean how can you not? I could care less about what city is bigger, I went to the same HS as MLK, Nipsey Russell, Lena Horne, Young Thug, Bruce Bruce etc etc. I had Andre 3000 from Outkast's Science book in the 6th grade. Remember how you wrote your name on the front cover and you could see who had your book the year before? I'm doing that the first day of school and lo and behold I see Andre Lauren Benjamin like 7 slots above mine. Played rec ball against teams like Sandtown that were literally half full of future pros, Pacman Jones, Ahmad Carrol, Cecil Newton Jr, AJ Moye. That wasn't the HOF all time team, those guys all played on the same team at the same time. And in the stands is a skinny kid with a red Afro named Cam Newton cheering on his older brother. That's how we grow up. Houston could be 10 times than Atlanta and they still couldn't touch the swag that comes with growing up in the A. Truth be told that's why they're mad. They equate size with having more of that "it factor" and that's not how it works.

So yeah I'm cocky and arrogant when I'm OT because I'm from NW Atlanta and I'm damn proud of it
This swag?

http://images.complex.com/complex/im...g-thug-jeffery

...I'm good on that, actually.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:51 AM

3,006 posts, read 2,629,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
This swag?

http://images.complex.com/complex/im...g-thug-jeffery

...I'm good on that, actually.
Okay, it's not your thing, but he's one of the many reasons Atlanta is setting the pace for pop culture right now.

Old 05-15-2017, 12:20 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Okay, it's not your thing, but he's one of the many reasons Atlanta is setting the pace for pop culture right now.
I'm just messing with OSC.

Truth be told Atlanta gets a lot of love in Texas. As much as some of y'all want us to hate you...sorry, we just don't. Likewise, I've met plenty of Atlantans who have moved out here and show nothing but love. It's only a few people who are invested in this fake rivalry.

With that said, Migos saved y'all's reputation big time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta