Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 03:00 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,275,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I find this statement particularly ironic considering we're comparing it to Houston.
"No zoning" ≠ no planning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
Can't compare the two cities. Only thing Houston got on ATL is having better winter weather.

We got better topography, more direct flights, better nightlife (Houston shuts down at 130 ), wayy more stuff to do, wayyy more annual visitors, better skyline, better history, better location, we got hills Houston is flatter than a pancake, more conventions, restaurants and shopping are equal in both cities, less city and property taxes, better subway, more concerts, etc.

Stop comparing us to Houston because it's offensive.
I get it now. You are only joking, since the OP's thread clearly wasn't serious to begin with. Very clever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 03:01 PM

14 posts, read 11,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
His last paragraph is a little extreme, but there is a lot of truth. You are the only one trolling.
You obviously have no idea what trolling is if you think I'm trolling. His post is ridiculous..

For example:

"Houston seems more like it got with the program as far as its infrastructure"

Then why is it consistently rated in the top of the U.S. worst traffic lists? If they "got with the program," they shouldn't be having such major issues. Give it a rest..

Old 05-05-2017, 03:03 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,172,465 times
Atlanta beats the living crap out of Houston, in every category. And I'd even rather live in backwards Georgia than the constant total embarrassment it must be to reside in Texas.

Old 05-05-2017, 03:06 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,172,465 times
I'll give Houston exactly ONE thing. Which is, they have a much better city street grid.

That's it. Congrats on having a better street grid than Atlanta's very terrible one. Everything else about your city sucks.

Old 05-05-2017, 03:17 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,203,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cle618 View Post
You obviously have no idea what trolling is if you think I'm trolling. His post is ridiculous..

For example:
"Houston seems more like it got with the program as far as its infrastructure"

Then why is it consistently rated in the top of the U.S. worst traffic lists? If they "got with the program," they shouldn't be having such major issues. Give it a rest..
Its just there is far more to infrastructure then expressways. Houston did not do full streets with curbing and a storm drain. It has many neighborhood areas. Even with brand new infill. Without curbing and the open ditch system still. Some developers do cover them and curb with new developments. But that really should be the city. To say the open ditch is because of flooding? Really does not address the city covering it and adding curbs. The more expressways built today? The more needing rebuilt in 20+ years if they just don't become outdated in future vehicles used?

I agree Atlanta suffers from no real street-grid with uniformity.

Old 05-05-2017, 03:24 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,859,087 times
I like Atlanta better but if somebody wants to move to Houston and thinks it is better do not take it personal. That is what is great about America we have hundred's of cities to live in, a city that is right for everybody. Not a fan of Houston but it has its pro's like everywhere else.

Old 05-05-2017, 04:29 PM

1,699 posts, read 1,944,796 times
LOL at all the robotic spoon-fed brainwash babble from many posters here.

OP, I totally understand what you're asking. A city is a city is a city in the U.S., as far as how it gets once it gets so big, the liberalism takes over. It's the nature of urban areas in my opinion. That said, here are the differences to me, and for the record, they are definitely very similar, 'modern' sprawl type cities with impossible traffic that boomed much later than some of the other established American cities.

You're mainly talking about the South vs. Texas. Big difference there. Hotter in Houston, more vegetation/trees in ATL. There are more black people in ATL, where Houston is more hispanic. White people in Houston have that 'Big Texas' attitude, whereas in ATL it's more Yeti sticker type stuff.

I don't know which one is better, honestly. If it wasn't for employment (which is typically the main thing), not sure I'd ever consider either one.

Old 05-05-2017, 04:51 PM
bu2

23,856 posts, read 14,640,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiwhatever View Post
I'm trying to wrap my head around that phrase. It's either a contradiction or a paradox.
He's saying that all these cities are alike. His claim is that they all have the same mix of restaurants, etc. and there's nothing to make them unique.

Old 05-05-2017, 04:53 PM

4,819 posts, read 6,048,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagosonny View Post
Nobody with a good heart would "delete" your free speech, unless they are hideous bigots. My theory is that Atlanta and Houston (and Dublin) aren't worth moving to, because they are so boring and homogenous. They have adopted the "diversity" crap, the Zagat style eating (sorry, but who cares about the best italian restaurant in Atlanta? It;s like going to Epcot, it's ersatz and FAKE.)

Screw these places. If I'm moving to GA or TX, I want to realize the real world, not Epcot Center life. Southern charm is better than eating a kebab. I was in Mobile Al recently and had catfish with grits and it was excellent. I don't need fake Mexican or Italian in Atlanta. I read some city-data thread ripping on "secondary" GA cities as backwards because they have authenticity? LOL. I'd rather see real southerners, than ersatz and fake globalist BS in Atlanta. Too boring. BORING!!!!! Same old leftist crap as anywhere else, not unique, not interesting, and anti-culture. You same-old obama libs are ruining diversity by pushing your gay Colbert lifestyles on everyone. Ick.

PS you could go into any hotel lobby in Houston or Atlanta and they all look the same!!! Modern "globalization" actually ruins true diversity. Go to rural GA, they are FAR MORE INTERESTING and diverse than you are.
Again your not making sense your post is baically a contradiction and a paradox. Diversity and homogeneous are literally opposites. At this point I'm going to assume you don't know what those terms mean.

But your trying so hard with the "your intolerant to my intolerance" argument. its like a bully trying to play the victim cause bullying is look upon negative.

Third your in no position to tell people Italians, Mexicans other what ever they are not southern.

4th globalization started hundreds of years ago, the freaking pilgrims comming to North America was globalization. are you Native American? "Southern Culture" itself comes from the diversity of The Irish, Scottish, French, Spanish, Africans and Native Americans created southern culture. "Unique" culture comes from assimilation of diverse cultures to form something new.

Fifth all cities everywhere suppose to be the cross roads of people coming together. The bigger the city the more cosmopolitan it is. That the difference between Atlanta and Georgia secondary cities its the same as all bigger to smaller cities.

Old 05-05-2017, 04:53 PM
bu2

23,856 posts, read 14,640,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Houston's GDP is about 150% of Atlanta's. So, they've got that on us. Also, the US military nuked Houston in Independence Day. So, they've got that on us, too.
And in cold war days, Houston was the only US city that the military expected the Russians to hit with 3 nuclear bombs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta