Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the CoA enact rent control?
Yes 6 18.18%
No 25 75.76%
Not sure 2 6.06%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 12:53 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,691,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Inclusionary zoning is a much better vehicle to ensure gentrification is equitiable.
Yes, yes it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 02:08 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
My first thought is that SoCal25 was being sarcastic and wanted to rep the post.
So, SoCal25, you're joking aren't you? Please let us know.
I was pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

Old 05-07-2017, 02:37 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,307,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
That part isn't necessary. Its much more prevalent in the Atlanta area than many other places.
Context.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:14 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,116,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Pretty much everything I've seen has said, rather conclusively, otherwise.

I'm all for trying to keep people where they are, and for increasing affordability, but we should be doing that by building density, and the infrastructure to both support and incentivize it.
Nailed it.

Old 05-11-2017, 04:19 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,869,718 times
Accidentally repped the post above me when I was trying to hit 'reply'. Phones.

The only thing that's going to help is taking the (unfree) market and big government out of the equation and allow neighborhoods to merge their properties together in a communal land trust, and give them the power of self-determination over how they want their community to be run. Whether it's rent-free, local (individuals, non corporate) development only, or whatever.

Regardless it's clear that the current system is codified to give a hand up to the high-income global class and screw over everyone else. Anyone that says otherwise is either someone who benefits from having the upper hand, or has been successfully hoodwinked into believing that the system is equitable when it's not.

Even economists will tell you that a free market system is dependent on everyone having perfect information, and people having the ability to make rational choices. Under such a system, it is impossible to create long-term profits.

Profit in the current system therefore is dependent on manipulating others into making irrational choices, and lying or lying through omission. Long term profits are being made. Ergo, this is not a free market system.

Old 05-12-2017, 11:36 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,691,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post

The only thing that's going to help is taking the (unfree) market and big government out of the equation and allow neighborhoods to merge their properties together in a communal land trust, and give them the power of self-determination over how they want their community to be run. Whether it's rent-free, local (individuals, non corporate) development only, or whatever.

Regardless it's clear that the current system is codified to give a hand up to the high-income global class and screw over everyone else. Anyone that says otherwise is either someone who benefits from having the upper hand, or has been successfully hoodwinked into believing that the system is equitable when it's not.

Even economists will tell you that a free market system is dependent on everyone having perfect information, and people having the ability to make rational choices. Under such a system, it is impossible to create long-term profits.

Profit in the current system therefore is dependent on manipulating others into making irrational choices, and lying or lying through omission. Long term profits are being made. Ergo, this is not a free market system.
I don't share your optomism about hyper local control without oversight from the mid level governments. That's just how you get super NIMBYism.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:30 AM

654 posts, read 526,605 times
As much as I don't support rent control, I'm glad some places have tried it.

The beauty of the state/local government system we have is localities are free to experiment with tons of ideas. More federal control over policies gives us more consistency but it also means we don't know if what we are doing is optimal. Variety is what tells is what works.

Old 05-14-2017, 05:26 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,307,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post

Great points.

And personally I think we are going see a major sea-change in this economic system in the next generation or so.

Trump's election and Brexit is the start. France may likely be next. The 4th industrial robot revolution is lurking immediately around the corner.

The European Union may likely be nonexistent within the next generation or so as well. This current economic model might be finished by 2050.

But anyways, maybe rent control might not be so efficient a solution...I will give some folks on here that much. But I don't see major developers wanting to make an effort to include more affordable housing in their format.

They have to be forced to do so. But for now, the power of corporations right now are preventing us regular people from truly making government work for us.

Old 05-14-2017, 06:39 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,317,925 times
We have the terrible situation in Atlanta that is basically the OPPOSITE of rent control. Apartment complexes charge more to tenants the longer they live there. They let new tenants live there for less than existing tenants. This forces renters to move every year or two, destroying the possibility of forming healthy communities.

I'm not sure what the legal remedy is. Maybe we need a law saying that all tenants at a complex have to pay the same rent per square foot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta