Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 04:02 PM

2,239 posts, read 5,835,634 times

Advertisements

That is a great idea above. I know I don't want to be separated from my bag while I'm on MARTA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 04:20 PM

7,351 posts, read 6,504,570 times
I like the idea in general, but I'm not sure MARTA's trains are large enough for overhead racks, and I'm not sure I like taking much more floor space. Maybe in an articulated/open-gangway car design it could work, you just wouldn't gain or lose any passenger space.

Old 05-09-2017, 04:40 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,015,985 times
Looks like there's plenty of room above the seats to me.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:31 PM

5,620 posts, read 5,909,945 times
SEPTA's airport line has luggage racks above the seats all along the sides and it's great.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:42 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,015,985 times
I guess MARTA officials think Atlanta is safe enough to just leave your bags unattended at the front of the train while you just sit and hope nobody grabs them and runs off.

Brilliant.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:35 PM

10,365 posts, read 11,408,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I guess MARTA officials think Atlanta is safe enough to just leave your bags unattended at the front of the train while you just sit and hope nobody grabs them and runs off.

Brilliant.
I know, right?

Many years ago I used to work the lost and delayed baggage pick-up and delivery service at the Atlanta Airport and used to personally witness first-hand how much thieves would steal bags from the baggage claim area.

After stealing the bags, the thieves would often either take the stolen bags in the restrooms (in the mens' restroom) where they would go through the bags for anything and everything of value (and where Atlanta cops would go undercover to attempt to catch the thieves in the act but would often catch men trying to proposition other men for illicit sexual acts for money) or the thieves would take the stolen bags onto MARTA where the bags were often found discarded near stations after being open, emptied and rifled through for any and every item of value.

The baggage theft problem was so bad at the airport that (in addition to undercover police patrols in the restrooms) the airlines would often put chains through handles of the lost bags that they had to place outside of their offices in the baggage claim area to keep the thieves from stealing them.

The baggage theft problem at the Atlanta Airport was so bad that I once had a bag stolen from right behind me as I was turning a bag into an airline baggage claim office during a busy and chaotic time at the airport.

With the baggage theft problem often being so bad at the Atlanta Airport and with many baggage thieves often using MARTA trains as some sort of escape vehicle from the Atlanta Airport after stealing bags (keep in mind that many of the baggage thieves were often homeless people with drug addiction and mental illness issues), one cannot really blame MARTA riders with luggage for not wanting to leave their bags unattended at the front of the train while just sitting and hoping that no one grabs them and runs off...In a city with a more than its fair share of homeless people with drug addiction and mental illness issues who might be prone to grab unattended bags and run off with them.

Make no mistake, MARTA has made great strides in attempting to enforce improved behavior on buses and trains, particularly during Keith Parker's reign as CEO. But it is not recommended that one leave one's bags unattended on any transit system, even on transit systems in cities where theft and crime might be less of a concern than in Atlanta.

Old 05-12-2017, 11:39 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,919,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Why can't Airport-Only riders put their carry-on under the seat or in the luggage area?
It's not an expected or required duty, besides they're often too big & heavy for more than the minimal lugging req'd.

Like for me, I hate lazy people rolling their bags on the wheels which takes more than twice as much floor space and makes it harder for everyone else to walk quickly avoiding additional obstacle that's low.

I find the panhandling from airport a very embarrassing first experience for visitors.

A few months of active enforcement by officers would get the word out that MARTA is the best place to panhandle successfully.

As far as race, blacks are the majority, and this is their town.

As long as there's no violence or extremely inconsiderate behavior toward fellow passengers, I'm happy.

I think that they've been so immersed in the battle for equality all their lives, that little things like holding doors open for people behind you, and being extra cordial and extra polite all the time have fallen by the way side and weren't instilled in them growing up. Audible thanks you's and niceties to everyone encountered daily go a looong way in getting people on your side.

Even young white guys I work with don't hold doors open or let women onto elevators first.

But looking at the fashion choices of some black guys, like wearing culottes, I realize that there are many differences in the worlds we live in, even while sharing the same city.

Their clothes are probably more expensive than mine though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: