Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2017, 08:32 PM

2 posts, read 1,762 times

Advertisements

1. Budget: $1300-$2000
2. House/Condo/Townhome? Single-Family or Townhome (we do have a Boxer Mix (60+ lbs) and a Pekingese/Cocker Spaniel Mix, 20lbs.))
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home). Husband: Is an accountant and will work in Stone Mountain Me: Will be working at Emory University Hospital as a nurse
4. Children(public school vs. private): No children
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two: Preferably Suburban, but wouldn't mind a mix...we love craft brewhouses
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? NOT
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood: Mixed, young professionals (we are both 30 y/o), newly married couples, dog-friendly families, low-crime

We're looking to buy within the year before our lease ends...we just don't know where to move or where we'll want to end up. Rentals have been limited especially with us having two dogs. Would love to know anyone's thoughts on Lawrenceville, Duluth, Decatur, Loganville, Snellville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 09:01 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,180,905 times
Personally I would go to a site like Rentalhouses.com, and search for listings of houses and townhomes, excluding apartments. And in your rent range.

I'm thinking you should be able to find something for rent in the Tucker area which would be pretty close to Stone Mountain, Emory, and downtown Decatur. And Tucker is pretty cool in its own right, too.

Like you said, rent first, then take your time (the rest of the year) to do a lot of research and exploring and lots of time to hunt, before you buy your permanent residence.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:45 PM

2 posts, read 1,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Personally I would go to a site like Rentalhouses.com, and search for listings of houses and townhomes, excluding apartments. And in your rent range.

I'm thinking you should be able to find something for rent in the Tucker area which would be pretty close to Stone Mountain, Emory, and downtown Decatur. And Tucker is pretty cool in its own right, too.

Like you said, rent first, then take your time (the rest of the year) to do a lot of research and exploring and lots of time to hunt, before you buy your permanent residence.
Thank you so much for your response! I'll look up Tucker, and rental properties that way! What do you think about Buford?

Old 05-17-2017, 03:20 AM

10,339 posts, read 11,339,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyfeet_612 View Post
Thank you so much for your response! I'll look up Tucker, and rental properties that way! What do you think about Buford?
Buford is a great outer-suburban town with a downtown village area that has its own unique vibe that attracts many artistic types.

The problem is that the commute from Buford can be somewhat hellish on many days, especially when there is an accident (or accidents) on I-85 Northeast, or when the weather is uncooperative.

From a commuting standpoint, Buford would probably be a poor fit with your workplaces being in Stone Mountain and at Emory University.

With Atlanta's traffic issues, you are most likely going to want to focus on areas that will be most convenient to both Emory University and Stone Mountain from a rush hour commuting standpoint.

For a more inner-suburban feel, look in areas like Tucker (as primaltech recommended), North Decatur, Toco Hills, North Druid Hills, Decatur, Avondale Estates and Northlake.

For a more outer-suburban feel, look in areas like the part of Lilburn that is zoned to Parkview High School and the parts of Snellville and Lawrenceville that are zoned to Brookwood High School.

For a more urban feel, look in areas like Old Fourth Ward, Poncey-Highland, Inman Park, Little Five Points, Kirkwood, Edgewood, Cabbagetown, Reynoldstown, Grant Park, Glenwood Park, Ormewood Park, East Atlanta Village/East Atlanta and East Lake.

Old 05-17-2017, 06:35 AM

120 posts, read 118,308 times
My vote would be Tucker or Decatur (30033)

Old 05-17-2017, 08:40 AM

5,618 posts, read 5,887,309 times
Buford is nice but you don't want that commute. I live on the northside of Snellville and I love the area. It'd be a straightforward commute to Stone Mountain and not that bad. A commute to Emory could get rough (road connections there are very underwhelming) even from Snellville but not that bad. You wouldn't have to deal with I 85 unlike Duluth/Suwanee/Buford.

Tricky part is that the nicest areas in the metro are typically the places with the best schools. But you don't need schools so you'd be paying a premium for schools you wouldn't be needing. There are some exceptions but that's the general rule.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:46 AM

2,278 posts, read 3,013,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyfeet_612 View Post
1. Budget: $1300-$2000
We're looking to buy within the year before our lease ends...we just don't know where to move or where we'll want to end up. Rentals have been limited especially with us having two dogs. Would love to know anyone's thoughts on Lawrenceville, Duluth, Decatur, Loganville, Snellville?
No, no, no, no, no.

If you can stretch your budget at all, then Decatur or the East Atlanta Village will work best for the kind of lifestyle you are shooting for. The one disadvantage to EAV is the commute to Stone Mountain is 40-60 minutes during rush hour.

I would make a real effort to live inside the Perimeter when you first get here.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:29 AM

2,411 posts, read 2,764,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Buford is a great outer-suburban town with a downtown village area that has its own unique vibe that attracts many artistic types.

The problem is that the commute from Buford can be somewhat hellish on many days, especially when there is an accident (or accidents) on I-85 Northeast, or when the weather is uncooperative.

From a commuting standpoint, Buford would probably be a poor fit with your workplaces being in Stone Mountain and at Emory University.

With Atlanta's traffic issues, you are most likely going to want to focus on areas that will be most convenient to both Emory University and Stone Mountain from a rush hour commuting standpoint.

For a more inner-suburban feel, look in areas like Tucker (as primaltech recommended), North Decatur, Toco Hills, North Druid Hills, Decatur, Avondale Estates and Northlake.

For a more outer-suburban feel, look in areas like the part of Lilburn that is zoned to Parkview High School and the parts of Snellville and Lawrenceville that are zoned to Brookwood High School.

For a more urban feel, look in areas like Old Fourth Ward, Poncey-Highland, Inman Park, Little Five Points, Kirkwood, Edgewood, Cabbagetown, Reynoldstown, Grant Park, Glenwood Park, Ormewood Park, East Atlanta Village/East Atlanta and East Lake.
From Born 2 Roll's great list, if you can find anything that is affordable on the "inner suburban feel"--I would go there. For "outer-suburban" there is really no reason to go further out than Lilburn or the Shiloh HS area of Stone Mountain.

All of the "Urban Feel" places listed will either be too expensive, or too inconvenient.

You are starting new jobs, have a somewhat limited budget, and will be moving in a year. Keep your commute short and your expenses low.

With that, I will throw out Scottdale, Clarkston, and the Dekalb part of Stone Mountain--all 3 will have great (for Atlanta) commutes, and lower rents for their proximity to work and the city. Some parts of all 3 are not nice, but there are good/safe/affordable (often majority or predominantly minority) middle class neighborhoods in all 3--you just have to look for them. Our first tour at the CDC was in Stone Mountain Just North of Memorial Drive between Rays Rd and Hambrick Rd--which has lots of homes with large fenced yards. A young single CDC co-worker lives in the Clarkston neighborhood just north of Ponce de Leon and west of 285 (inside the perimeter). Other folks might be able to direct you to other safe neighborhoods in those areas.

Last edited by jeoff; 05-18-2017 at 10:07 AM..

Old 05-18-2017, 09:33 AM

10,733 posts, read 13,279,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Keep your commute short and your expenses low.
Excellent advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta