Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 05:19 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,317,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
I'm honestly beginning to think that lights in Atlanta are purposefully timed to stop as much movement as possible. Listening to some of the fabrics talk, it would not surprise me one bit if any of them were involved in such planning.
That's the only realistic explanation for the timing of the lights on Clifton Road from Briarcliff to Emory. Especially since it is practically the turf of a university. At most universities they plan their campus to make car drivers uncomfortable, not as a byproduct of the design but actually as part of the plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2017, 05:40 PM

7,352 posts, read 6,521,770 times
There's one in Conyers that's just too small. Only one vehicle can really use it at time, turning it into a three-way stop that makes vehicles travel a little farther than a simple T-junction would. The only real use the roundabout has is displaying an artsy fountain, that always freezes over in winter.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:07 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,355,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Most of the roundabouts I've seen are single lane. Are there any double lane ones?
I'm not sure about the Atlanta Metro, but I've seen plenty of multi-lane roundabouts elsewhere.

Quote:
I would like to hear what the bike and pedestrian advocates think about them. It seems to me roundabouts are mainly about moving cars rapidly and they could be challenging for people on foot or on a bicycle.
I will guarantee you that they hate them. Without question.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:17 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
Most of the roundabouts I've seen are single lane. Are there any double lane ones?
Not that I am aware of here. Houston has a busy 3 lane one at Montrose/Hermann Dr./S. Main near the Texas Medical Center with the Mecom Fountain in the middle. They're pretty tricky when its that busy.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:18 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
That's the only realistic explanation for the timing of the lights on Clifton Road from Briarcliff to Emory. Especially since it is practically the turf of a university. At most universities they plan their campus to make car drivers uncomfortable, not as a byproduct of the design but actually as part of the plan.
I have no doubt it is planned there.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:20 PM
bu2

Quote:
I can understand the confusion with old school traffic "rotaries" and traffic circles.

However, with the modern roundabout folks ought to be able to drive through pretty seamlessly.
You regularly find people who don't understand what they are supposed to do. People who think drivers in the circle are supposed to yield to drivers outside the circle, drivers who think the yield is a stop. Particularly at Emory where you have a lot of people going to the hospital who have no experience with them.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:21 PM
bu2

Quote:
I would like to hear what the bike and pedestrian advocates think about them. It seems to me roundabouts are mainly about moving cars rapidly and they could be challenging for people on foot or on a bicycle.
The one at Emory is designed to help pedestrians. They are what cause the biggest backups. When you have a stream of students, it can get hard for the people on Oxford (N or S) to get into the circle.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:33 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,930,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
You regularly find people who don't understand what they are supposed to do. People who think drivers in the circle are supposed to yield to drivers outside the circle, drivers who think the yield is a stop. Particularly at Emory where you have a lot of people going to the hospital who have no experience with them.
To be fair, there are traffic circles which evidently differ from roundabouts with regards to who yields to whom. Although most I've seen here have been roundabouts with a clearly marked yield sign for traffic entering them. Hopefully people will get used to them. They really are great when used properly.

Old 05-21-2017, 07:21 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,369,560 times
Quote:
I have no problem using them on my bicycle, altho I am cautious when going around and make very certain that cars waiting to enter see me.

The ones near us seem to have sufficient room for pedestrians. The crosswalks are set back from the roundabout with enough room to fit one car between the crosswalk and the circle. There is a hazard with drivers not looking for pedestrians that far away from the intersection.

Old 05-21-2017, 07:30 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
At most universities they plan their campus to make car drivers uncomfortable, not as a byproduct of the design but actually as part of the plan.
As they should. College campuses are for people, not cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta