Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2017, 07:44 PM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,872,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Those areas already are rural in design / layout / population density. They just propose keeping it that way. Much of Atlanta is rural on an international scale.

What areas in the NW CoA are you referring to?

You doubt that 15% of people in the metro want to live in the city? Seems like a pretty conservative number to me. Heck those 15% are probably just the share that want to live in an urban / highrise area. Bet an even much higher % would love a nice single family home closer in in the city limits if given a somewhat affordable choice.
Rural areas are for rural areas. Not for the 134 square mile core of a metro area of 5-8 million people. If you want green space, build parks.

You didn't read my other comment carefully enough. I said people don't always act on what they wish for many reasons. Many people who might want to live in the city choose to live elsewhere because of cost, schools, job location, relatives, friends or other reasons. So if 15% of the people "want" to live in the city, you will never get 15%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 07:48 PM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,872,355 times
As for the west areas for more density, I'm including virtually everything south of the industrial zones down to I-20.

They could build a lot of the type of housing you are suggesting, creating a more affordable area than Buckhead. It would also take development pressure of some other SFH areas. There is a lot of underdeveloped land and underutilized industrial/commercial areas in that corridor.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:50 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,871,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Rural areas are for rural areas. Not for the 134 square mile core of a metro area of 5-8 million people. If you want green space, build parks.
Well, I personally would support more density in those areas, but I think most of those green / conservation areas are a political requirement to get this done.

Quote:
You didn't read my other comment carefully enough. I said people don't always act on what they wish for many reasons. Many people who might want to live in the city choose to live elsewhere because of cost, schools, job location, relatives, friends or other reasons. So if 15% of the people "want" to live in the city, you will never get 15%.
I doubt there methodology was simply asking everyone in the metro if they "want to live in the city of Atlanta". 15% living inside the city limits seems like quite a reasonable level to design the city to support. Honestly I think they should be planning for more than that, then if all those people don't show up we will still be in fine shape.

Old 06-02-2017, 08:34 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,692,353 times
Quote:

Well, remember that article I posted a while ago about the comparative differences in preferred housing types in Boston and Atlanta?

Over 80% of those who strongly preferred to live in urban areas in Boston (where 50% of the metro is urban) actually did, where as only 40ish% of those who strongly preferred urban areas in Atlanta (where only 10% of the metro is urban) actually did.

Given our high occupancy rates and rising housing costs, I would not be surprised if we could get pretty close to that 15%. Not the full 15%, but maybe something like 12%. Of course, there are also other urban areas in the metro, though, and they could contribute to a reduction of that 15%, especially if connected via high-capacity transit. Even so, we need to build the housing in quantity enough to let them actually live here, physically, and in price point. Other things will follow suit.

So, the two outcomes for building the housing for that 15%, is either we house them, or we drive housing prices down making things more affordable, and eventually attracting enough people to replace those who didn't come.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:43 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,926,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Well, remember that article I posted a while ago about the comparative differences in preferred housing types in Boston and Atlanta?

Over 80% of those who strongly preferred to live in urban areas in Boston (where 50% of the metro is urban) actually did, where as only 40ish% of those who strongly preferred urban areas in Atlanta (where only 10% of the metro is urban) actually did.
A bit off topic for a bit, but we were just in Boston last weekend. I've been many times before to the actual City on business trips, but this was the first time I saw the Northern suburbs (or the Northshore) all the way in from New Hampshire.

I believe that the 50% of the Boston Metro being urban bit that you stated is accurate, as even the outlying towns like Marietta, Roswell, etc. have very urban centers with dense surrounding neighborhoods. It's SO old though, and we just aren't built that way here. These quaint, British looking towns also have new subdivisions on their outskirts just like here, but they are insanely more expensive! All real esatate is.

BUT, they have wide expanses of the sprawl interrupted by beautiful working farms, State and County/Town parks and protected greenbelts. Their commuter rail extends as far out as places like Gainesville and Madison, and people use it. However, they are much less dense than we are overall in the outer reaches, and it is very dominated in certain Towns by huge minimum lot sizes. It's extremely sprawly, and very low density across wide areas.

But they do SO many things right, and the commuter rail network was very impressive. The cost is very high though, at over $400 a month plus parking for a unlimited network card with access to the subways and buses in Boston!

It was very cool to see the differences between the actual Metro's, and not just the Cities. It's a great place, and I look forward to our next visit.

Sorry for the interruption fourthwarden, but your Boston reference triggered this!

Old 06-03-2017, 06:41 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,357,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Well, I personally would support more density in those areas, but I think most of those green / conservation areas are a political requirement to get this done.
Wait...so is your desire just vast expanses of tightly-spaced homes with no green space?

Old 06-03-2017, 08:38 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,692,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
[Good Stuff]

Sorry for the interruption fourthwarden, but your Boston reference triggered this!
Naw, I actually consider it on topic. I myself have posed the idea of taking advantage of the proposed commuter rail network, and the historic railroad towns that we have, to do something very similar to what you've described.

They're not going to be colonial era, of course, but we can put in a significant amount of density around transit stations using the existing town centers, and the stations themselves, as anchors. With that, we could house many more people in urban areas, even if they're not in the city proper.

Old 06-03-2017, 09:04 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,773,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
A bit off topic for a bit, but we were just in Boston last weekend. I've been many times before to the actual City on business trips, but this was the first time I saw the Northern suburbs (or the Northshore) all the way in from New Hampshire.

I believe that the 50% of the Boston Metro being urban bit that you stated is accurate, as even the outlying towns like Marietta, Roswell, etc. have very urban centers with dense surrounding neighborhoods. It's SO old though, and we just aren't built that way here. These quaint, British looking towns also have new subdivisions on their outskirts just like here, but they are insanely more expensive! All real esatate is.

BUT, they have wide expanses of the sprawl interrupted by beautiful working farms, State and County/Town parks and protected greenbelts. Their commuter rail extends as far out as places like Gainesville and Madison, and people use it. However, they are much less dense than we are overall in the outer reaches, and it is very dominated in certain Towns by huge minimum lot sizes. It's extremely sprawly, and very low density across wide areas.

But they do SO many things right, and the commuter rail network was very impressive. The cost is very high though, at over $400 a month plus parking for a unlimited network card with access to the subways and buses in Boston!

It was very cool to see the differences between the actual Metro's, and not just the Cities. It's a great place, and I look forward to our next visit.

That is a great assessment of the Boston area, JMatl!

Old 06-03-2017, 09:48 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,926,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
That is a great assessment of the Boston area, JMatl!
Thanks, arjay57!

Old 06-03-2017, 12:43 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,871,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Wait...so is your desire just vast expanses of tightly-spaced homes with no green space?
No. Why do you think that? Do you think density makes for less green space? Accessible public parks are much more common in denser areas. I'd even say they go hand and hand. Like how some of the highest density is next to Central Park in NYC and Piedmont Park here in Atlanta. Not to mention density in cities allows more wide open spaces / wilderness to exist outside of cities.

If you care about preserving green space you should be cheering for density, not spamming low density suburbia over as much area as possible.

That is why this plan the city is working on where some areas are conserved and others areas allow more growth are so important. The people are coming, we need to be smart about giving them options where to live in order to maintain our green space.

Last edited by jsvh; 06-03-2017 at 01:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta