Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2017, 06:45 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Yep, Eric (Kronberg) is a good guy.
I have to disagree. He is benefiting enormously from a PDU development on his massive parcel in Edgewood, yet all this talk his publishes on his blog, he still choose to include front-facing garages. Shouldn't he be practicing what he blogs?

La France Walk | An Intown Live and Grow Community
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 08:35 AM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
I think the new denser project needs to conform to the neighborhood look and feel. Too often the new density project is a big box structure that doesn't fit. To me, this is the biggest hurdle with adjusting zoning. It's tough to define that feel and look without stymieing all projects. It'll be interesting to see what Tim Keane comes up with.
Absolutely no to taste police. That is what creates disasters.

You have places like Plano, Texas where you have a 3 miles stretch of red brick doctor's boxes. You don't want regulators to have the power to get that specific. They designated the brick color. It then becomes the taste of a small group of people. (note-I like the dark red brick doctor's boxes, just not 3 miles of them).

Old 06-06-2017, 08:40 AM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
You would probably agree with most of this post, jsvh. I am okay with it myself.

Big Picture Zoning Thoughts | Kronberg Wall Architecture Design Development Atlanta
Big picture would be scrapping that and simplifying much of it. He is a very small picture guy. Way too much regulation.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:41 AM
bu2

Quote:
So why would we not start with the many areas that are undeveloped or underdeveloped?

Wouldn't it make more sense to do that, before we begin hacking up stable, successful neighborhoods that folks have built up through decades of hard work and investment?
So you are going to have the city direct developers on which lots to re-develop first?

The idea is to have a long range plan, not a short-sighted one with the heavy hand of government, meaning only the well connected get to do what they want.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:47 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
So you are going to have the city direct developers on which lots to re-develop first?

The idea is to have a long range plan, not a short-sighted one with the heavy hand of government, meaning only the well connected get to do what they want.
Yes, I'd certainly recommend pointing them in the right direction. Why come in and take apart successful historie neighborhoods like Druid Hills or Ansley when we've got plenty of undeveloped land elsewhere?

Old 06-06-2017, 08:51 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
Yes, I'd certainly recommend pointing them in the right direction. Why come in and take apart successful historie neighborhoods like Druid Hills or Ansley when we've got plenty of undeveloped land elsewhere?
Because there is little demand to live there. The best thing to do is improve the schools and safety of those areas to make them more inviting.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I have to disagree. He is benefiting enormously from a PDU development on his massive parcel in Edgewood, yet all this talk his publishes on his blog, he still choose to include front-facing garages. Shouldn't he be practicing what he blogs?

La France Walk | An Intown Live and Grow Community
I see a problem with it right there. How are you going to have entire families living in houses with 0 or 1 car garages?

Old 06-06-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Because there is little demand to live there. The best thing to do is improve the schools and safety of those areas to make them more inviting.
I agree with improving safety and schools all around, but is that a reason for dismantling hard won successes like Druid Hills and Candler Park?

Old 06-06-2017, 08:57 AM
bu2

Quote:
There's too much SFH zoning. But I never said you eliminate all of it. However I disagree with government in the inner city (roughly inside 285) zoning for estates. Historic districts can protect some of those areas from being "chopped up." But not everything is historic or needs to be preserved. There is a shortage of townhomes and patio homes close in. Those can be built in this market. You really aren't going to get a lot of "affordable" single family homes built. The lot is either too expensive or the neighborhood is too bad. But with density, you can justify more moderately priced housing.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
There's too much SFH zoning. But I never said you eliminate all of it. However I disagree with government in the inner city (roughly inside 285) zoning for estates. Historic districts can protect some of those areas from being "chopped up." But not everything is historic or needs to be preserved. There is a shortage of townhomes and patio homes close in. Those can be built in this market. You really aren't going to get a lot of "affordable" single family homes built. The lot is either too expensive or the neighborhood is too bad. But with density, you can justify more moderately priced housing.
What did you think of the three projects I mentioned above? Developments like these are proliferating throughout the city.

They are all in or adjacent to traditional single family neighborhoods in the COA:

Z-14-01: 2.99 acres on Shady Valley rezoned from R-3 to RG-4, to allow for 38 new residences.

Z-14-75: 4.41 acres on Wieuca rezoned from R-3 to MR-2-C to allow for 30 new residences.

Z-15-53: 2.1 acres on Haverhill rezoned from RG-2 to PDH to allow for 38 new residences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta