Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: After reviewing pertinent background information of the incident and video footage, whose actions we
Police Officers 2 100.00%
Entrapped Citizens: Army Veteran (passenger seat) & His Brother (driver seat) 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 06:35 AM

654 posts, read 526,605 times

Advertisements

It's very common to try to use stolen credit cards at gas stations as it avoids human contact. The gas station worker probably thought the guy was trying to guess the right zip code.

People don't realize the importance of what is communicated to the police on a call. The oinkers depend on that information to determine how the approach a situation. That's why false poloce reports are such a big deal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 07:07 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,099,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arc-lang View Post
Yes the cops had a right to question him. He was on private property and the cops were called to investigate a suspicious person call best that I can tell from the video. All this guy had to do was be a tiny bit nice and respectful to the cop and he would have been sent on his way. The guy in the car was clearly the hostile one and he was, IMO, trying to provoke the cop to draw his gun or tase him so he could put it on Youtube and get the news to air his story and he could be in line to get the kind of attention so many seem to want. I am white, and here is a shocker, I have been stopped and asked why I am loitering on a property more than a dozen times. But I am polite and just tell them I am waiting for friend, and just like that, the cop and myself go on their merry little way.

The cop was called to the gas station and was trying to simply ascertain what the man was doing there. If you want to blame anyone blame the person who called the police. What is the cop psychic or something. He can just instantly look at a person and tell exactly what is happening. And BTW, for many people who see race in this, you are assuming that the cop knew the man was black when he responded to the call, and second that he would not have equally done the same thing if the man had been white. The cop was respectful and facing a hostile idiot, who like these other losers thinks he has a right to treat others like ****, while demanding respect.

What is the cop supposed to do when he gets a call in the future, if it so happens that the man he is called to investigate happens to be black. Just not show up. Say oh well I'll skip the call. What happens if that man is drunk or just killed someone, how would people react then if the cop just drives off. A big part of a cops job is preemptive enforcement, that means being proactive and not just waiting around for a crime. If a person is innocent just cooperate. Yes there have been some high profile cases where bad cops have harmed and killed innocent people, but in many of these cases the suspect did things that led to a confrontation that resulted in a shooting.

In any event, the man has no legal case at all. He clearly doesn't like white people or cops and that his problem.

He wanted to get shot so he could put it on Youtube? Are you kidding me? I've seen someone get shot before, its not pretty at all. That stuff will give you nightmares for the rest of your days, and I could only imagine what it does to someone on the receiving end of it. Maybe, just maybe he was hostile because as a Black man he is tired of being harassed by the police. Or perhaps him being an ARMY Vet makes him a little on edge. Lets not act like the men and women who go over and serve our country don't come back from the Middle East with things such as PTSD or some other mental issues. Matter of fact this is the same website that had people giving that white Army Vet in Florida a pass after he ran over that pot hole, thought it was a bomb, freaked out and started letting off rounds from his 12 gauge. Please. The hypocrisy on here sometimes is nothing short of amazing. Cobb has a reputation for having police that do things like this, right or wrong, clearly there is something there. Even the staunchest police supporter has to see it. It's clear as day.

Old 05-31-2017, 04:25 PM

117 posts, read 254,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arc-lang View Post
Yes the cops had a right to question him. He was on private property and the cops were called to investigate a suspicious person call best that I can tell from the video. All this guy had to do was be a tiny bit nice and respectful to the cop and he would have been sent on his way. The guy in the car was clearly the hostile one and he was, IMO, trying to provoke the cop to draw his gun or tase him so he could put it on Youtube and get the news to air his story and he could be in line to get the kind of attention so many seem to want. I am white, and here is a shocker, I have been stopped and asked why I am loitering on a property more than a dozen times. But I am polite and just tell them I am waiting for friend, and just like that, the cop and myself go on their merry little way.

The cop was called to the gas station and was trying to simply ascertain what the man was doing there. If you want to blame anyone blame the person who called the police. What is the cop psychic or something. He can just instantly look at a person and tell exactly what is happening. And BTW, for many people who see race in this, you are assuming that the cop knew the man was black when he responded to the call, and second that he would not have equally done the same thing if the man had been white. The cop was respectful and facing a hostile idiot, who like these other losers thinks he has a right to treat others like ****, while demanding respect.

What is the cop supposed to do when he gets a call in the future, if it so happens that the man he is called to investigate happens to be black. Just not show up. Say oh well I'll skip the call. What happens if that man is drunk or just killed someone, how would people react then if the cop just drives off. A big part of a cops job is preemptive enforcement, that means being proactive and not just waiting around for a crime. If a person is innocent just cooperate. Yes there have been some high profile cases where bad cops have harmed and killed innocent people, but in many of these cases the suspect did things that led to a confrontation that resulted in a shooting.

In any event, the man has no legal case at all. He clearly doesn't like white people or cops and that his problem.
You missed the part when he asked the cop 3x what did he do wrong and the cop said nothing. At that point it should have been have a nice day. So what he was at a gas station its a public place he paid for his gas both times.

I don't even know why I'm answering you smh if the cop would have shot both of them you would say he had the right to kill them.

Old 05-31-2017, 05:07 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,317,925 times
It's incredible how consistently BLM types present us evidence that the police are doing great work.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:03 PM

304 posts, read 324,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddemonz View Post
You missed the part when he asked the cop 3x what did he do wrong and the cop said nothing. At that point it should have been have a nice day. So what he was at a gas station its a public place he paid for his gas both times.

I don't even know why I'm answering you smh if the cop would have shot both of them you would say he had the right to kill them.
First off the cop asked him for ID, which the cop has a LEGAL right to ask for. The man doesn't have to be committing a crime to show his ID to a cop, since he is behind the wheel of a car. The cop has endless things he might be required to check and satisfy are in compliance. Secondly, the man refused a simple request and talked himself into an arrest, out of basic stupidity. Thirdly, the cop was called their to investigate suspicious activity and in general COPS have every constitutional right to investigate suspicious activity. If this guy believes he is constatly being harassed by the cops, file a lawsuit and take it to court. That is the smart thing to do. This guy in the car set out to show how the cops are the ones disrespecting him, and all he ended up showing is what an a$$ he made of himself in the process. The man took a simple and lawful request and turned into an almost violent altercation.

Lastly here, the COP never says that the man did anything wrong, that is true, but that is not the same thing as CONFIRMING that the man did or did not do something wrong. The man in the car thinks he has legal ground on that sole point. Just because the officer hasn't discovered a crime in the first 20 seconds after arriving doesn't mean the officer has to just leave. This isn't the NBA, there isn't a shot clock or something. This guy could have had warrants, he could have had a suspended license, no insurance, a whole host of things. It doesn't matter whether the civilian likes the fact the cop is there asking questions, the fact is the cop has every legal right to do so. You think I like dealing with COPS. Heck no. Do some people actually think that white people just love the police. We get harassed, shot and beaten to death by them too. It's just those stories don't find their way onto the TV, or newspaper or Internet. So the perception is that black people are being singled out and harassed, but that is not the case. Yes in some areas where sadly there is more crime and more POC, it is going to skew the data. Most black people are law-abiding citizens just like all other races, unfortunately there are some places in the country, major cities and their burbs where crimes are committed at a greater frequency by POC than other races. There are many reasons for that. and poverty and poor public services are a large factor. Yet we all know that white people do in fact committ more crimes (raw numbers) than POC. But if you focus, like our wonderful media does in this country, on a few cases out of thousands, you can make the story play out however you want. Have you ever heard the saying that you can twist the numbers to say whatever you want them to say.

I hear what you are saying. You are saying that the cop should just leave, if there is no known crime that has been committed. Well if that is how we are going to do things, then a man who killed somebody in another state and has warrants, could be, at the moment, doing nothing more than sitting in a car in front of somebodies house, and because the officer has only started their investigation and there wasn't a "known" crime committed then the officer should be mandated to just leave. If we are going to start policing like that, than this country will be overrun by criminals. Hell just don't get caught committing a crime "at that moment or in the presence of a cop" and you get away with it. Huh? That is idiotic. The law clearly states that an officer in this country needs only "reasonable suspicion" to investigate a person. That condition was met in this case.

So I guess congrats to this man, who spent 10 minutes filming an encounter with a cop who treated him professionally from everything that I saw on the video, and the end process resulted in him catching an obstruction charge that will likely cost him at least a couple hundred dollars in fines, and possibly jail time. Even if they dismiss the charges it still cost him bail money and night in jail. The whole thing was stupid and only demonstrates the kind of disconnect that exist between law enforcement and the public. Please tell me what this man accomplished by doing this.

If this guy wants to go through life fighting the cops at every turn, he is going to lose that battle. And it's going to cost him time and money. I am not saying their are not killer cops who should be in jail. That POS cop in Tulsa should have been convicted of murder and the one that shot the man in the back in South Carolina should be fried. But that doesn't mean every cop should be considered a bad cop. Do you think this man was a little over the top in how he talked to the officer. I mean I am not saying that a person has to be nice to an officer, but gees you can stand on principal later. Just give the man the ID. If after that point the man has no warrants and still the cops refuse to let him go, then I am onboard.

In any event this guy set out to try and force a physical encounter against the cops, one that, IMO, he hoped would result in excessive force that he could then sue them for later. My guess is that he does this quite often, which is why this video and story was posted by either himself or someone he knows with their one and only post on this forum. He also seems to have a script and template in place for uploading these encounters quickly and getting publicity.

If a person wants to go through life hating the cops and refusing to listen and comply with anything they say, then you are going to have more situations where these incidents end up escalating to a more violent and physical encounter. You and other people may just want the cops to go away, but that is not how it works. Just because someone else has been mistreated by other cops doesn't give anybody the right to just decide they are going to ignore another cop that is trying to do their job. Even if this officer was totally wrong, in your opinion or in the opinion of the man in the video, the way you handle this is you file a complaint with the county or state solicitors office and take civil action against the officer or the department. Trying to hold court on the side of the road doesn't work.

Last edited by arc-lang; 05-31-2017 at 08:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: