Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 10:48 PM

268 posts, read 344,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
I was there for a conference back in January and downtown kinda reminded me of downtown Atlanta. A lot of the streets were wide one ways similar to Atlanta and in contrast to a lot of the more narrow streets I've come across in the northeast. Lot of workers near the area I was in that died quite a bit at night (like downtown Atlanta). Was very "gray" though I imagine part of that was due to the constant overcast sky. There were parts more to the north that seemed to have a lot more going on. We also went out to the Pike/Pine area which was probably the most noticeably different. There are plenty of places in Atlanta that are very LGBT friendly, strongly against discrimination against whomever, etc. but I swear every single place up there made it clear with a sign or something that any discrimination would not be tolerated. Wasn't a problem with me and I'm sure a lot of Atlanta is the same way but it's like they take things to a whole new level!

But yea, the two seem at least somewhat similar. It's not San Francisco to podunk GA.

you not here long enough to get true flavor of Seattle, they are two wildly different cities. it took me about six months then I said go back to south or Midwest nah lol

Old 06-09-2017, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
I was there for a conference back in January and downtown kinda reminded me of downtown Atlanta. A lot of the streets were wide one ways similar to Atlanta and in contrast to a lot of the more narrow streets I've come across in the northeast. Lot of workers near the area I was in that died quite a bit at night (like downtown Atlanta). Was very "gray" though I imagine part of that was due to the constant overcast sky. There were parts more to the north that seemed to have a lot more going on. We also went out to the Pike/Pine area which was probably the most noticeably different. There are plenty of places in Atlanta that are very LGBT friendly, strongly against discrimination against whomever, etc. but I swear every single place up there made it clear with a sign or something that any discrimination would not be tolerated. Wasn't a problem with me and I'm sure a lot of Atlanta is the same way but it's like they take things to a whole new level!

But yea, the two seem at least somewhat similar. It's not San Francisco to podunk GA.

the same way but it's like they take things to a whole new level!

and they live it, way more interracial dating here nobody even looks twice that is not the case in Atlanta, but as we know nowhere is utopia but Seattle is lights years ahead of the south, midwest and east coast as far as folks of different ethnic backgrounds getting along mating, dating, marrying and socializing.

Old 06-10-2017, 05:47 PM

508 posts, read 1,086,416 times
^ I'll just say my experience with the two cities is the opposite - to me Seattle feels like the most homogenous big city in the U.S. The metro Seattle area is overwhelmingly white, and though there are plenty of interracial couples, I see that far more often in the Atlanta area.

I'm going to venture a guess that because you left Atlanta for Seattle 7 years ago, your perspective may be skewed. For one thing Atlanta has changed significantly in that time, and so have attitudes towards interracial dating in general across the country - it seems like it's far more prevalent now than it was in 2010, at least that's the sense I get.

Old 06-16-2017, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burquebinder View Post
^ I'll just say my experience with the two cities is the opposite - to me Seattle feels like the most homogenous big city in the U.S. The metro Seattle area is overwhelmingly white, and though there are plenty of interracial couples, I see that far more often in the Atlanta area.

I'm going to venture a guess that because you left Atlanta for Seattle 7 years ago, your perspective may be skewed. For one thing Atlanta has changed significantly in that time, and so have attitudes towards interracial dating in general across the country - it seems like it's far more prevalent now than it was in 2010, at least that's the sense I get.

I was just there in Atlanta not sure it has changed, did you go in central district , south Seattle and south suburbs because that is not true; the other folks of color besides African Americans are here in droves. true about more ir dating but nothing like Seattle and Minnesota because I am including the white males they hook up with Asian women in huge numbers in both cities. here is what I will say again I cannot go to a 100% black event here, there other ethnic groups will be there even the barber shops,concerts and b so much mixing and mingling. I have lived in Atlanta ,Baltimore St Louis and worked in DC they are not even close to the mixing and mingling I see here

Old 06-16-2017, 10:11 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,748,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satchseven View Post
the same way but it's like they take things to a whole new level!

and they live it, way more interracial dating here nobody even looks twice that is not the case in Atlanta, but as we know nowhere is utopia but Seattle is lights years ahead of the south, midwest and east coast as far as folks of different ethnic backgrounds getting along mating, dating, marrying and socializing.
That's because lots of blacks on the West Coast outside of Oakland are extremely white washed and have little black pride (I'm black). Also it's nowhere else for blacks to go so they are forced to mix with other races in Seattle

Old 06-16-2017, 11:55 AM

3,707 posts, read 5,980,442 times
Some actual data here:

Seattle
Atlanta

Atlanta's black population is about 7 times larger than Seattle's black population (234,000 vs 1.7MM+). It's apples and oranges. Black people in Atlanta tend to be relatively isolated from people of other races compared with black people in Seattle. However, white people from Atlanta are far more exposed to black people than white people in Seattle are. Most of this is just a simple consequence of the size of the communities in relation to the whole metros they exist in. There's nothing magical happening in either metro.

You can kinda make the data say whatever you want, depending on your point of view.

Old 06-16-2017, 01:42 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,371,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
The typical suburban lifestyles seem to revolve around church, family or going shopping at the malls, etc.
Many moons idea when I was young, I wouldn't have been too excited about living in the burbs. Now that I'm an AARP member, I really appreciate the northern burbs. Also, there is far more to do than going to church (not too many of my friends and acquaintances out here do go to church) or going to shopping malls. The stereotype just doesn't apply anymore.

Old 06-17-2017, 04:19 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,351,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Sure you would be taking a pay cut of $10k, but $95k still goes a long way in Atlanta and most likely would go noticeably farther in Atlanta than $105k would go in Seattle.

No need to worry about leaving a tech hub in Seattle....That's because Atlanta is an exploding tech hub in its own right in the Southeastern U.S.

(...As an aside, Atlanta is also an exploding national and international hub for television and film production in addition to already being a dominant hub of music production for the entire Sunbelt, Southeastern and East Coast regions.)

That $2k/monthly that you are currently spending on a one-bedroom apartment in Seattle also will in most cases most likely get you at least two (or more) bedrooms in Alpharetta and the Northern suburbs of Atlanta.

If you are open to adjusting to life in the Southeast, come on down and see if you like it. I think that you might.

Little bit of hyperbole about the music scene in Atlanta. That was in the 1990s. Film is the big thing now with Pinewood Studios, divisions of Time-Warner, and Tyler Perry productions. As far as Tech, Atlanta is one of two decent tech metros in the southeast, the other being Raleigh. But in the Sunbelt region, Austin and Dallas/Fort Worth are much bigger for tech jobs. Atlanta has some decent companies but its not catching those in Texas anytime soon.

Old 06-17-2017, 04:27 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,351,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
That's because lots of blacks on the West Coast outside of Oakland are extremely white washed and have little black pride (I'm black). Also it's nowhere else for blacks to go so they are forced to mix with other races in Seattle
LMAO, NO pride based on what research you have done? And maybe you should consider south/central L.A. county too beyond Oakland for majority black neighborhoods. If anything those areas can be more prideful BECAUSE there are fewer of them.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:45 PM

16,676 posts, read 29,490,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
Yes. Good post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta