Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 06:52 PM

2 posts, read 2,376 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband and I are looking for a new home and have always loved the Lake Claire/Candler Park area. We have a 2 year old now and are worried about crime in the neighborhood because we don't know the area well. If you have any information it would be helpful. We have homes saved all over the area, but there are a few on Dekalb Ave (Mary Lin Elementary) that we really like, just ant to gather more data about the area. Any input is welcomed. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 06:58 PM

356 posts, read 317,002 times
I've got friends with a 3yr old and a newborn that are very happy there and hope to stay for a long time. I almost bought there in 2007, would've been a great investment. That's about all I've got - the crime stats are indeed a little high, depends on how much you worry about probabilities I guess. Hope that helps!

Old 06-12-2017, 07:51 PM

508 posts, read 1,087,154 times
^Crime? That area is mostly families with young kids these days, and typically in homes that start at a half mil and up. Not saying there's no crime, but it's in high demand for a reason. None of the neighborhoods immediately to the south have major crime issues these days either, and are a fair bit more affordable.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:16 PM

2,167 posts, read 2,831,286 times
I would not want to live ON Deklab when there other great streets with less traffic noise, and trains, but the area in general is very family friendly and safe. You'll pay dearly for even a modest home, but Lin is a great elementary school.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:33 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbake View Post
Hi, my husband and I are looking for a new home and have always loved the Lake Claire/Candler Park area. We have a 2 year old now and are worried about crime in the neighborhood because we don't know the area well. If you have any information it would be helpful. We have homes saved all over the area, but there are a few on Dekalb Ave (Mary Lin Elementary) that we really like, just ant to gather more data about the area. Any input is welcomed. Thank you!
Depends on your threshold for crime. Look at the stats. Personally I wouldn't avoid the area because of the crime. Its not bad for Atlanta, but things do happen there.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:00 AM

2 posts, read 2,376 times
The stats are why I posted, but it is mostly theft (looks like car break-ins) which I can tolerate (happens where we are now too). We are looking at a few houses in Lake Claire some are on Dekalb Ave and some are right off Dekalb.

I really appreciate the feedback! We love the area and the houses that we are looking at, but not living in the area we just want to make sure that we wouldnt have any regrets. Thank you!!

Old 06-13-2017, 07:07 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
That area is family central. Keep your car cleaned out and you'll be fine.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:58 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Do know that DeKalb Ave will be transformed into a Complete Street in the coming years, which will reduce vehicle speeds and make the street safer for all modes of transportation.
http://renewatlantabond.com/wp-conte...ion-Packet.pdf

Old 06-13-2017, 08:44 AM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbake View Post
The stats are why I posted, but it is mostly theft (looks like car break-ins) which I can tolerate (happens where we are now too). We are looking at a few houses in Lake Claire some are on Dekalb Ave and some are right off Dekalb.

I really appreciate the feedback! We love the area and the houses that we are looking at, but not living in the area we just want to make sure that we wouldnt have any regrets. Thank you!!
There have been several rapes/attempted rapes in the last couple of years. I think they caught the one guy who was responsible for 2 of the cases. There's also a homeless population along Freedom/Candler Park, which seem harmless, but you never know. You have to be alert, especially later at night. I regularly read about armed robberies of pedestrians, generally after midnight, in Virginia Highlands, which is viewed as "safe." I wouldn't hesitate to live in Virginia Highlands, but its not like living in a small town.

Old 06-14-2017, 05:29 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,786,874 times
Other than the heavily traveled streets (Clifton, Dekalb, McClendon, etc.), kids are playing outside and on the streets all the time, especially on the dead-end streets (I don't always agree with other parents comfort with this, but then my wife and I don't always agree either). We have had one unsecured bicycle stolen in 3 years, and one of our neighbor's car's is apparently a magnet for break-ins. Occasionally we have folks asking for work, and stuff--I have seen police ask them questions when they see them. Once we gave a guy work, and he did a good job, and he found work with a neighbor as well. Personally, I think that the chance for crime decreases the further you are from the heavily traveled streets. There is a bit of variation with how folks keep their yards, some manicured, some very natural, some stuffed with vegetables. We get a good bit of use of the CP public pool and playground, and there are quite a few other parks and green-space around that are great for kids. Mary-Lin has been a very good school for us, and has been the warmest of the 3 highly rated public elementary schools that we have sent our kids to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: