Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 11:34 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Oh no, I could see that happening there, it's big and you get isolated quick (that's what I like about it). But the waterfall in the back is totally worth it

That park is my home away from home, I try to be there once a week. It's a wonderful place and if anyone here has any interest in mountain biking, it doesn't get much better than this. I've done just about all of the more popular trails north of Atlanta. IMO, they don't hold a candle to the pure fun the yellow trail provides.
It's very easy to get lost at Cochran Mill.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 11:44 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times
Quote:
I'd trade large, massive parks that require almost everyone to drive to them, for smaller neighborhood sized parks that allow residents to walk, ride a bike, etc. to access.
Of course you would.

Thank you so much for sharing your relevant perspective with us once again....Lord knows it's not well known to us yet.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:50 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Of course you would.

Thank you so much for sharing your relevant perspective with us once again....Lord knows it's not well known to us yet.

How much taxpayer dollars were wasted to dispatch a helicopter to find these people? Never heard of that happening in Piedmont or Chastain Parks.

Old 06-09-2017, 12:37 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,265,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
How much taxpayer dollars were wasted to dispatch a helicopter to find these people? Never heard of that happening in Piedmont or Chastain Parks.
Piedmont and Chastain are tiny compared to Harbins Park. And it's a lot of forested wilderness.

Harbins is like the size of the entirety of Stone Mountain Park, without the mountain or the development. It's like real nature.

Also, you can't really get emergency vehicles in and out of there like you can with the city parks. Thus the helicopter.

Old 06-09-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I still haven't been to Harbins or Tribble Mill.
Tribble Mill is amazing. Back when I lived out there I used to bike laps around that lake.

Old 06-09-2017, 12:43 PM

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9139...!7i4012!8i1971

Don't get me wrong, I love the city. But Piedmont or Chastain or most of the others are no match for Tribble Mill.

Gwinnett has a lot wrong with it, but its parks are A+ and are one of its best attributes. And they're numerous.

Old 06-09-2017, 12:47 PM

Piedmont and Chastain are great for their skyline views, and usually having more people around (if you consider that a good thing.)

But on a nice weather weekend day you'll find tons of people walking and running on the trails at parks like Collins Hill park. Or playing sports in the fields.

Old 06-09-2017, 01:11 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Piedmont and Chastain are great for their skyline views, and usually having more people around (if you consider that a good thing.)

But on a nice weather weekend day you'll find tons of people walking and running on the trails at parks like Collins Hill park. Or playing sports in the fields.
I am sure about that. What I like about smaller, community parks (which Piedmont and Chastain are not) is it creates community gathering spaces and allows people the option to walk, bike, skateboard, etc. to them. With most of these region parks (Piedmont and Chastain) most visitors drive.

Old 06-09-2017, 01:14 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I got lost in Cochran Mill Park in South Fulton one time, which is simply enormous ... 800 acres (I think) of mostly wilderness. Seriously, it was one of the scariest experiences of my life. I set out hiking one afternoon on a hot day without any water, got dehydrated, overheated and disoriented. Ended up just going in circles. It was getting late and the sun was getting low and I started to panic. Started hearing voices. Called out to people who weren't there. Eventually came to a pasture fence and saw a pickup truck way off in the distance. Crawled over the fence and stumbled up to a farmer who gave me some water and drove me back to where my car was parked -- only about a mile away. He said people get lost back in there all the time.

Weirdest thing about the experience, this amazing Park is right off South Fulton Parkway directly underneath the flight paths for the airport. Hundreds of planes were coming and going right above my head ... yet it was like I was in the most remote and isolated place in the world. Creepy.

You can be lost in big cities and have the same ominous dread and sense of helplessness.
Sounds like you did everything wrong.

alone
didn't know area
no water? really?
hot day
started in the afternoon

I hoped you learned something.

Old 06-09-2017, 01:27 PM

654 posts, read 527,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I got lost in Cochran Mill Park in South Fulton one time, which is simply enormous ... 800 acres (I think) of mostly wilderness. Seriously, it was one of the scariest experiences of my life. I set out hiking one afternoon on a hot day without any water, got dehydrated, overheated and disoriented. Ended up just going in circles. It was getting late and the sun was getting low and I started to panic. Started hearing voices. Called out to people who weren't there. Eventually came to a pasture fence and saw a pickup truck way off in the distance. Crawled over the fence and stumbled up to a farmer who gave me some water and drove me back to where my car was parked -- only about a mile away. He said people get lost back in there all the time.

Weirdest thing about the experience, this amazing Park is right off South Fulton Parkway directly underneath the flight paths for the airport. Hundreds of planes were coming and going right above my head ... yet it was like I was in the most remote and isolated place in the world. Creepy.

You can be lost in big cities and have the same ominous dread and sense of helplessness.
One square mile is 640 acres. Walk in one direction and you'd be out in 20 mins.

Paulding Forrest WMA is enormous. 25,000 acres. You can get lost in that one. Decent turkey hunting out there as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta