Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 03:44 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTCM View Post
One square mile is 640 acres. Walk in one direction and you'd be out in 20 mins.
I'm not sure how many acres Cochran Mill is, but it definitely takes a lot longer than 20 mins to walk to the back of it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 04:36 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
Quote:
How much taxpayer dollars were wasted to dispatch a helicopter to find these people? Never heard of that happening in Piedmont or Chastain Parks.
You know, I never really thought about it that way.

You're exactly right. We shouldn't have parks that are that big, it's crazy to spend taxpayer money rescuing people who get lost in them. Why are we wasting money on people in places like Yellowstone, Yosemite, and Joshua Tree?

In fact, that land could be MAKING us money instead of COSTING us money. Let's give it to oil drillers!

Old 06-09-2017, 07:31 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
How much taxpayer dollars were wasted to dispatch a helicopter to find these people? Never heard of that happening in Piedmont or Chastain Parks.
Unless you're the sheriff of DeKalb County

Old 06-09-2017, 07:39 PM

What's that big nature preserve / park in Marietta where they're always busting dudes for having sex in the woods? Does Gwinnett have this problem?

Old 06-10-2017, 02:00 PM

654 posts, read 527,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
I'm not sure how many acres Cochran Mill is, but it definitely takes a lot longer than 20 mins to walk to the back of it
He was already in the park, so it wasn't about walking from one end to the other. Statistically he has a very good chance of walking out it 20 mins on 800 acres - if he walks in one direction. He's almost certainly within 3/4 of a mile from a border.

Old 06-10-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTCM View Post
He was already in the park, so it wasn't about walking from one end to the other. Statistically he has a very good chance of walking out it 20 mins on 800 acres - if he walks in one direction. He's almost certainly within 3/4 of a mile from a border.
It's impossible to walk "in one direction" when you're in a dense wilderness area with lots of steep hills, rock outcroppings, thick underbrush and water features (multiple creeks, rivers, waterfalls, swampy wetlands).

According to the website, CMP has 18 miles of trails ... most of it quite rugged. Mountain bikers and trail horse riders love the place.

Cochran Mill Park - 800 acre park located in Located in Chattahoochee Hills, Georgia - Cochran Mill Park

TRAIL MAP: I started off on the Yellow Trail and somehow ended up on the Red Trail and couldn't find my way back. If you look close you'll see the pasture that I eventually crawled across to my farmer rescuer!

Cochran Mill Park - 800 acre park located in Located in Chattahoochee Hills, Georgia - Cochran Mill Park

Old 06-10-2017, 07:53 PM

I bet I know the field you are referring to. It's quite gorgeous when traversing the steep hills of the red trail.

This isn't Gwinnett, when you hit the border of the park there's not anything there. It's most more wilderness or farm land (less one side bordering South Fulton Pkwy).

South Fulton is a gem BTW. I keep driving around and exploring the area post ride, can't believe how rural and beautiful it is. Fulton County's borders are absurd

Old 06-10-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
South Fulton is a gem BTW. I keep driving around and exploring the area post ride, can't believe how rural and beautiful it is. Fulton County's borders are absurd
South Fulton County is STUNNINGLY beautiful! Like being in another world miles away from the city. That suburban sprawl development bypassed this corner of Metro Atlanta is truly a blessing in disguise.

And if you've never been to Serenbe ... oh gee WOW!

Old 06-10-2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
South Fulton County is STUNNINGLY beautiful! Like being in another world miles away from the city. That suburban sprawl development bypassed this corner of Metro Atlanta is truly a blessing in disguise.
Indeed!

I've wondered if this is intentional. I have to think this was the effort of someone or a small group of people to make sure South Fulton was never over-developed (THANK YOU!). It is very accessible via South Fulton Pkwy. It always surprises me that the highway is not dotted with development.

Old 06-10-2017, 08:13 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
I drove through S Fulton a few years back to a wedding just across the Hooch. It really is quite lovely. I had always heard it was (thanks GA official state maps) but it was nice to see it in person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta