Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who wins the 6th?
Karen Handel 26 40.00%
Jon Ossoff 39 60.00%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 08:23 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,054,876 times

Advertisements

Are the lib snowflakes crying again?

Old 06-20-2017, 08:33 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,259,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
At least you realize the hopelessness any moderate or progressive person feels to live in that red right wing state. Don't you allow open carry at airports and in bars? Thought so.
I don't feel hopeless at all about Georgia. It's clearly a demographically and politically leftward-shifting state. All 5 of the counties of Atlanta went for Hillary, even Cobb. That was... unheard of for the longest.

As far as when Democrats start winning more power in the state, and when the state's electoral votes will go for a Democratic presidential candidate again, it's hard to say. But I'm sure it will happen in my lifetime. Maybe in 20 years, maybe less.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:21 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,357,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
Are the lib snowflakes crying again?
Nope...we watched the Republican barely skate by in a district that's been practically crimson for decades. We're kind of laughing.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:36 PM

3,159 posts, read 2,209,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Only parts of Fulton, Cobb, and DeKalb counties are in the 6th district, and each of these portions are more Republican than the counties as a whole.

I think Democrats in the district (I'm just a few miles outside in the 11th) are going to be disappointed tomorrow. With higher turnout, results are more predictably reflective of the default partisanship of the district - which is Republican, as was drawn intentionally by Georgia's majority Republican legislature following the 2010 census. Handel comes across as a fairly standard Republican politician, so she isn't likely to lose many votes of those who specifically don't care for the president but otherwise support the party.
Too bad I couldn't get paid for this accurate prediction. I don't think Ossoff made any significant mistakes in terms of how he campaigned, although being very young and inexperienced probably didn't help him. Rather, Georgia's 6th district, like the majority of districts nationwide, prefers the Republican platform and will vote for pretty much any acceptable nominee from the party. Democrats are certainly not going to have an easy path back to a House majority just because the president and those aligned with him are so appalling to many of the voters in a minority of districts.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:22 PM

3,072 posts, read 1,300,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I don't feel hopeless at all about Georgia. It's clearly a demographically and politically leftward-shifting state. All 5 of the counties of Atlanta went for Hillary, even Cobb. That was... unheard of for the longest.

As far as when Democrats start winning more power in the state, and when the state's electoral votes will go for a Democratic presidential candidate again, it's hard to say. But I'm sure it will happen in my lifetime. Maybe in 20 years, maybe less.
Georgia isn't as close as people think. NC hasn't even flipped other than 08 which was a fluke election and it was by a nose. Atlanta is eventually going to run out of room for new building and increased population. I think Georgia may eventually become a state that swings occasionally but I'm not sure it's gonna be an Ohio or Florida any time soon

Old 06-21-2017, 03:13 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,703,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
The question of gerrymandering involving Districts 4, 5, 6, 7, 11, and 13 can be considered from the standpoint of margin of victory. Gerrymandering is indicated if minority (Democrat) districts have high margins of victory compared to majority (Republican) districts.

Minority:
4 - 51.4%
5 - 68.9%
13 - 100%

Majority:
6 - 23.4%
7 - 20.8%
11 - 34.8%

While anything is possible - it is possible that the Republican were utterly pure-hearted when they drew the districts - those numbers indicate that that was not the case.
Handel won by 5% instead of the more typical 20%-35% margin they prefer in gerrymandered districts designed to elect Republicans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Nope...we watched the Republican barely skate by in a district that's been practically crimson for decades. We're kind of laughing.
Not laughing, no, but recognizing the accomplishment made while keeping in mind the work ahead. Already I see the destructive recriminations coming from the extreme left, blaming Ossoff's moderate perspective instead of recognizing that his moderate perspective is what knocked the 20%-35% margin that the district was designed to produce for Republicans down to only 5%. The extreme left seems to only value the desired end result; they seem to place no value on the direction. That'll help product Republican victory after Republican victory.

Old 06-21-2017, 05:37 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times
Thanks for participating in this Poll. Since the election is now over please continue the discussion about this special election in the existing thread here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta