Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2008, 09:18 PM

79 posts, read 377,758 times

Advertisements

On April 1, I will be an official resident of your fair city and I cannot begin to express how excited I am.

I cannot wait to jump in with both feet and experience everything the city has to offer through social activities, volunteering, networking etc.

My question is:

What is the best way to meet people and get involved in activities? I will not be working right away so I am also interested in building a professional network as well. Basically what is the best way to meet a lot of new, different, and exciting people and really enjoy what Atlanta has to offer?

Thank in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 09:23 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Well, you left a lot of blanks regarding your age, personal interests in detail (hobbies), and things like that.

One starting point is meetup. There are tons of groups in Atlanta all the way from hobby related stuff to professionals to dating. Start there and do some searching around: Meetup: World's largest community of local Meetups, clubs and groups! - Meetup.com

Old 03-11-2008, 09:37 PM

Thanks for the link Greg. I knew I could count on you for good information.

Ok, yeah, I guess I did leave out alot of stuff

I'm a single 38 yr. old African-American female - no children - college educated

Hobbies: fitness - jewelry making

I definitely want to volunteer at an animal shelter and also with organizations like Habitat for Humanity and Dress for Success.

I really didn't list a lot of things because this is my opportunity for a life "do-over" and I want to meet new people and experience as much as possible. I know, I sound like a cornball, but I'm just excited. I'll chill out in a little while.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:46 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Atlanta Humane Society>>
.: Atlanta Humane Society :.

There is a poster who might have some thoughts for you- 'sweattea' or some variation of that.

I couldn't find the last thread she posted about a networking seminar for newcomers.

The opportunities for volunteering are infinite. Pick up a Creative Loafing--Atlanta's leisure guide/paper. You should see them around shopping centers, Starbucks and places like that.

There should be many outdoor activities this spring that might be of interest.

ALTA/Atlanta Lawn Tennis Association has just started. You might be able to find FYI for summer teams now.
Here>>>
The Atlanta Lawn Tennis Association (ALTA)

Jewelry--there should be some FYI in Creative Loafing.

I believe some of the Intown neighborhoods have festivals in the Spring. Others may have FYI on that. The Dogwood Festival is the large art festival--
Dogwood Festival>>>>
Atlanta Dogwood Festival | Arts Festival | Free Spring Festival

There should be a contact for those interested in volunteering.

The High Museum and the Atlanta History Center would also be good places to research for volunteer/networking.

I don't know where you are located in Atlanta but the individual counties and/or cities should also have a department of community outreach or something similar.

Good Luck.

bhs

Old 03-11-2008, 11:44 PM

Thank you BHS119. I contacted Sweettea about that seminar but unfortunately it's occurring before I come down. You've given me some great places to start.

Thanks again.

Old 03-12-2008, 05:40 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,934,927 times
This might sound a bit strange, but check out the Junior League of Atlanta. It is not the white-gloved, white-girl snobby group of old. Junior League is an increasingly diverse (in many ways) organization of women who are all commited to improving the lives of women and children in their community through volunteerism. You don;t need to be "sponsored" by anyone. You can just join up (though at certain times of the year due to training). Many of the Junior League women are employed outside the home and are looking for ways to volunteer, make friends and grow personally. The website is jlatlanta.org. Good Luck!

Old 03-12-2008, 06:14 AM

1,517 posts, read 6,739,537 times
The best way, IMO, is to volunteer. Find worthy organizations such as Hands on Atlanta, Children's Healthcare of Atlanta, Atlanta Cares, Center for Puppetry Arts, etc. and spend a Saturday. Not only will you meet quality people, you'll be doing something really fulfilling.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
This might sound a bit strange, but check out the Junior League of Atlanta. It is not the white-gloved, white-girl snobby group of old. Junior League is an increasingly diverse (in many ways) organization of women who are all commited to improving the lives of women and children in their community through volunteerism. You don;t need to be "sponsored" by anyone. You can just join up (though at certain times of the year due to training). Many of the Junior League women are employed outside the home and are looking for ways to volunteer, make friends and grow personally. The website is jlatlanta.org. Good Luck!
Yes, I've always been interested in the Junior League because I know they do a lot of good things. They just had a major charity event here last Saturday. Funny but here in East TN they are still invitation only.

Thank you.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettea1 View Post
The best way, IMO, is to volunteer. Find worthy organizations such as Hands on Atlanta, Children's Healthcare of Atlanta, Atlanta Cares, Center for Puppetry Arts, etc. and spend a Saturday. Not only will you meet quality people, you'll be doing something really fulfilling.

Thank you. I'm still bummed that I'm going to miss your event.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: