Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 03:19 PM

18 posts, read 26,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormhammer View Post
Hmm

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...83_rect/10_zm/

They're around. Dawsonville is growing at a ridiculous rate. It has a new interchange in GA too ( I forget what it's called, but its right there at 53 ).

Also the largest Kroger is there too.

Cumming is great too, has a lot of what you're looking for, more so than Dawsonville, great schools, growing, an hour to Atlanta, an hour to the mountains - it's literally a straight shot up 400 to vineyards and nice, curvy roads. You also have Sawnee mountain for hiking locally, with the indian seats.

https://www.atlantatrails.com/hiking...-near-atlanta/

Sawnee mountain does not allow dogs. It's actually one of the major turnoffs we had about the county. If I lace up hiking or running shoes, my dog goes crazy. Leaving her at home is not an option lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2017, 05:49 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times
I'd second Holly Springs. There's a nice subdivision out there called "Harmony on the Lakes" that has some homes in your range.

https://www.redfin.com/neighborhood/...=lo-dollarsqft

School Information
Elem School: Indian Knoll
Middle School: Dean Rusk
High School: Sequoyah

https://www.redfin.com/city/10051/GA...2123:-84.54851

Old 06-24-2017, 06:30 AM

3,930 posts, read 2,096,278 times
How about Woodstock?

Old 06-24-2017, 09:46 AM

11,778 posts, read 7,989,264 times
I haven't read though everyone's suggestions but I was curious if you have considered living in North Forsyth County? North of Cumming but south of Dahlonega - There is plenty of shopping and even an outlet mall on GA-400 (actually two of them, one of them is North of Cumming after GA-400's freeway section ends and it becomes an at-grade divided highway, the other south of Cumming on Exit 13

Also, There's still Lake Lanier area on I-985 or basically somewhere between Gwinnett and Gainesville, you get the convenience of Mall Of GA, Buford, Gainsville, still 1 hour from Atlanta on a GOOD day and still pretty scenic up that way.

Basically though, any place accessible to mountains on the North GA side is going to put you right at the borderline of 1 Hour into town especially if (when) you encounter traffic.

Becareful with Uber though, around the suburbs may not be terrible but I've heard alot of horror stories about it in the Atlanta area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
I haven't seen any mountains in Georgia. If you mean hills then except for Stone Mtn or Kennessaw Mtn... you're at least an hour from the windy roads, rolling landscapes and valleys that are hallmarks of that kind of terrain.

Atlanta is just the wrong geographic area for what you're looking for.
I actually kind of agree with this... KIND OF... I think what he's implying is that there are no major mountain ranges in the Metro Area, which is true... there aren't any. You start to get the view of them between Woodstock, Canton and Cumming though. But the real mountains are still about 45 minutes north of the actual Metro Atlanta area... If he's however implying that he's seen taller mountains in general, while I won't disagree that there are plenty of mountain ranges with more stunning views than what we have in N.GA, we technically are in the foot hills of the Appalachians ..so they are technically still "mountains".

Old 06-24-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I haven't read though everyone's suggestions but I was curious if you have considered living in North Forsyth County?
We first considered Forsyth first, switched to Cherokee mostly because the Woodstock area seems neat and Marietta/Kennesaw are our old stomping grounds, so we have friends in that area. Living in Woodstock, Canton or Holly Springs, it would appear the mountains are accessible up 575/515. Maybe the question should be pros/cons of Forsyth vs. Cherokee?

Old 06-24-2017, 10:28 AM

11,778 posts, read 7,989,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg4pvowife View Post
We first considered Forsyth first, switched to Cherokee mostly because the Woodstock area seems neat and Marietta/Kennesaw are our old stomping grounds, so we have friends in that area. Living in Woodstock, Canton or Holly Springs, it would appear the mountains are accessible up 575/515. Maybe the question should be pros/cons of Forsyth vs. Cherokee?
Hmmm.. I personally would say that N.Forsyth (believe it or not) would have an easier drive to Atlanta than Woodstock. GA-400 isn't cakework, but I-75 is a nightmare..well..unless you use a peachpass for that new toll lane they're opening soon. N.Forsyth is overall less developed than Woodstock but still offers alot of shopping and you can still get to downtown Cumming. Mountains are accessable by following GA-400 N / U.S. 19 N till it ends just outside of Dahlonega ..

I..guess there really isn't much difference in the grand scheme

Old 06-24-2017, 08:32 PM

How about things to do other than shopping?

Are the movie theaters nice? Restaurants? Other than chain, are there good options for Italian, Greek, Thai, vegetarian? Vegan is probably too much to ask OTP

The type of people? Possible to meet other career-minded moms and live in a neighborhood where people don't find it shocking that the hubby serves as primary care-giver, while I am the primary bread-winner. Where we currently live, stay-at-home moms are the norm, and I find I don't have much in common with them.

How about YMCAs, greenways, bike trails, walkable areas?

We are visiting next month to get a lay of the land. Any particular neighborhoods or places we should check out in either county?

Old 06-25-2017, 04:37 AM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
How about things to do other than shopping?

Are the movie theaters nice? Restaurants? Other than chain, are there good options for Italian, Greek, Thai, vegetarian? Vegan is probably too much to ask OTP
Within Cherokee County there are maybe only a couple of major movie theaters, one along the GA 92 corridor in Woodstock and one in Canton.

Forsyth County seems to have access to more movie theaters along the GA 400 corridor in North Fulton, Forsyth and Dawson counties.

While more movie theaters can be accessed from Cherokee by driving south on I-575 into neighboring Cobb County where there are two major movie theaters (a 16-screen theater and a 24-screen theater) in the Town Center Mall area.

With the exception of a few areas (like Woodstock's downtown village area), if you want access to an increased amount of non-chain dining options, you are probably generally going to have to travel closer to Atlanta (south on I-575 to at least Cobb County and south on GA 400 to at least North Fulton County) to find those increased and diversified non-chain dining options.

Quote:
The type of people? Possible to meet other career-minded moms and live in a neighborhood where people don't find it shocking that the hubby serves as primary care-giver, while I am the primary bread-winner. Where we currently live, stay-at-home moms are the norm, and I find I don't have much in common with them.
If you want to meet other career-minded moms, you are probably going to have go beyond the neighborhood level and find a regional group of like-minded career-minded moms to network and socialize with.

Meetup.com would be a good place to start looking for that type of regional networking and socializing group of career-minded moms, a group which admittedly might not be easy to find just because of the nature of being a working mom, something which can often leave limited time for other pursuits outside of work and parenting for many (but not all) people.

Quote:
How about YMCAs, greenways, bike trails, walkable areas?
There is at least one YMCA each in both Cherokee and Forsyth counties and there are other YMCA's spread throughout nearby Cobb, North Fulton and Gwinnett counties.

Cherokee County seems to be light on (but not necessarily completely devoid of) recreation trails at the moment. But Forsyth County is home to the northern part of the Big Creek Greenway which is a popular recreational trail that runs south into North Fulton County.

Woodstock which features a popular and growing walkable village area in its downtown is likely the nearest place to go for walkable areas. Acworth also features a walkable historic downtown area while Canton and Kennesaw have upstart walkable downtown village areas with much long-term potential.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta