Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 06:54 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,888,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
Breaking news.

People who can't afford house, want to buy house.

Was the less shocking survey result going to be, "People who can't afford house, don't care to buy house".
Breaking News:

Baby Boomers pass laws that artificially limit supply of housing supply. Housing prices rise.

Baby Boomers convince themselves they are blameless and are entitled to forcing these limits on density because they were there first. They are sure that younger generation can't afford decent housing because they spend too much money on their morning coffee and should be forced to live 1.5 hours out of the city instead of being allowed to build more affordable housing in their urban neighbors' back yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 07:43 AM

32,033 posts, read 36,837,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Breaking News:

Baby Boomers pass laws that artificially limit supply of housing supply. Housing prices rise.

Baby Boomers convince themselves they are blameless and are entitled to forcing these limits on density because they were there first. They are sure that younger generation can't afford decent housing because they spend too much money on their morning coffee and should be forced to live 1.5 hours out of the city instead of being allowed to build more affordable housing in their urban neighbors' back yard.
I'd consider letting you build in my backyard if you'll meet my price, jsvh.

Don't forget that many of us older intowners live in housing that was built a generation or two before we came along. Like the generations before and after us, we had to work our way up to where we live now. Sadly, they didn't give you a house simply because you were born during the Baby Boom.

It's also worth remembering that living intown is not any particular advantage for a lot of people. Millions prefer to live in the suburbs because it is closer to their work, schools, shopping and other activities.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:19 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,700,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'd consider letting you build in my backyard if you'll meet my price, jsvh.
Why would he be building in your backyard? He just doesn't want to be kept from building in his back yard, and he doesn't want your neighbors from being able to build in their back yards.
Quote:
Don't forget that many of us older intowners live in housing that was built a generation or two before we came along. Like the generations before and after us, we had to work our way up to where we live now. Sadly, they didn't give you a house simply because you were born during the Baby Boom.
No one is asking to be given a home, just that artificial barriers to development be removed to help more people be able to afford a home.
That said, don't ignore the differences in situations between now and when boomers were buying their first homes. Lower comparative prices, less debt, lower education costs, a higher real minimum wage, etc.
Quote:
It's also worth remembering that living intown is not any particular advantage for a lot of people. Millions prefer to live in the suburbs because it is closer to their work, schools, shopping and other activities.
Yet there is still a huge disparity between those who want to live intown, and the supply of intown housing. It may not be millions, but there are a ton of people who are kept out of the market by both a lack of supply and artificially high prices.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:57 AM

1,151 posts, read 1,310,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
I make six figures, and much of the housing in anything remotely acceptable (I'm not living in West End or an hour outside of town) is out of reach, at least realistically. Going to a trade school will barely afford you a meager apartment. Do you really think that going to a trade school is the answer to affording a house??

You want way too much if you make 6 figures and can't afford anything "acceptable" that is not in the hood or in the exurbs. That salary would qualify you for something well over 300k.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:15 AM

32,033 posts, read 36,837,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
No one is asking to be given a home, just that artificial barriers to development be removed to help more people be able to afford a home.
Hopefully more builders will get cracking on projects like these. No zoing changes necessary.

Likewise with all the areas around transit stations that have been designatd for TOD.

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2017/6/20...mechanicsville

https://www.summechcdc.com/

And don't overlook the many opportunities for affordable intown housing in the existing housing stock.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:02 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,428,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammaster View Post
You want way too much if you make 6 figures and can't afford anything "acceptable" that is not in the hood or in the exurbs. That salary would qualify you for something well over 300k.
Agreed, and this is mentality I call BS on.

If you make 6 figures (meaning a 300k+ house is easily affordable) then you have zero excuses to state that you cannot afford to buy a house.

The simple fact is that in this scenario what is really going on is that you have not made obtaining a house a priority so other lifestyle factors have risen up to claim the income that would be going there if it was.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:24 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,252,435 times
https://www.zillow.com/mortgage-calc...affordability/

According to Zillow, 100K can afford $515K. The old adage of 3x income for a house doesn't apply in a 4% interest rate world.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:41 PM

149 posts, read 182,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850 View Post

According to Zillow, 100K can afford $515K. The old adage of 3x income for a house doesn't apply in a 4% interest rate world.
Did we learn nothing in 2008?

Old 06-27-2017, 07:53 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,367,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammaster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Agreed, and this is mentality I call BS on.

If you make 6 figures (meaning a 300k+ house is easily affordable) then you have zero excuses to state that you cannot afford to buy a house.
I didn't say I can't afford a house. We are pre-looking and budgeting around $300k. But, note that I said "realistically" and that there are areas I won't live in. I currently live in a 2/2 town home with 1-car garage and a bonus room. It's simply not enough. I don't want a 1300 square foot house. It won't work for us. I don't want to live outside of town. I don't want to live in West End or pretty much anywhere south of I20. Also, a lot of my income is self-employment and rental income, subject to much higher taxes than a standard salary. I don't take home nearly as much. I also spent a lot of money on a special needs child and work in an industry that could disappear tomorrow. It's not all cut and dry.

But note what I DID say: much of it in areas that don't suck is out of reach, and I make over 100k. Now, pay attention to the actual point: most people aren't making even half that. That makes much more of it out of their reach.

Quote:
The simple fact is that in this scenario what is really going on is that you have not made obtaining a house a priority so other lifestyle factors have risen up to claim the income that would be going there if it was.
I own a house and have for over 11.5 years. I hold no debt other than that and my wife's car. I have approximately 8 months of living expenses in liquid savings in addition to another 3-5 years worth in investments. But, I appreciate your concern for my apparent financial shenanigans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850 View Post

Sure... I could buy a $515k house. IF I decided that I needed no other money for anything else, nor if I wanted to save a penny. That is absolutely foolish advice.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:48 PM

10,356 posts, read 8,590,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
I didn't say I can't afford a house. We are pre-looking and budgeting around $300k. But, note that I said "realistically" and that there are areas I won't live in. I currently live in a 2/2 town home with 1-car garage and a bonus room. It's simply not enough. I don't want a 1300 square foot house. It won't work for us. I don't want to live outside of town. I don't want to live in West End or pretty much anywhere south of I20. Also, a lot of my income is self-employment and rental income, subject to much higher taxes than a standard salary. I don't take home nearly as much. I also spent a lot of money on a special needs child and work in an industry that could disappear tomorrow. It's not all cut and dry.

But note what I DID say: much of it in areas that don't suck is out of reach, and I make over 100k. Now, pay attention to the actual point: most people aren't making even half that. That makes much more of it out of their reach.

I own a house and have for over 11.5 years. I hold no debt other than that and my wife's car. I have approximately 8 months of living expenses in liquid savings in addition to another 3-5 years worth in investments. But, I appreciate your concern for my apparent financial shenanigans.

Sure... I could buy a $515k house. IF I decided that I needed no other money for anything else, nor if I wanted to save a penny. That is absolutely foolish advice.
I am curious as to why your rental income is taxed higher. It's unearned income is it not?
If so doesn't it escape ss and Medicare taxes? Also isn't their a depreciation write off too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta